Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet Outage restored but lost my SSIDS

Mauipup
Aspirant

Internet Outage restored but lost my SSIDS

I’m hoping someone can explain what happened. We had an Internet outage this morning and when it was restored the SS ID names I created when I first got the modem/router disappeared and went back to the factory restored versions. Fortunately I know enough about this stuff to go back into the settings and put them back the way they were, but I am terrified to think what would happen if this happened when I was on vacation. Is this a bug with Netgear equipment? Why did this happen and is there a way to prevent it in the future?
Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet Outage restored but lost my SSIDS

Unfortunately, cable modems seem to allow more ISP control than other services. That's why neither you nor Netgear can do anything to change the firmware on your device.

The one reason why many users like to have separate modems and routers.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

tough to say 100% what happened. But the ISP does have the ability to remove factory reset modem/router combo devices. maybe their service outage caused that to happen. 

tough to know without the logs and those get erased in a factory reset. 

Message 2 of 5

@Mauipup wrote:
Fortunately I know enough about this stuff to go back into the settings and put them back the way they were

You don't say what you did, but Netgear designs it devices to make this easy.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Manage the Modem Router Configuration File.

Message 3 of 5
Mauipup
Aspirant

To solve it I had to into modem settings and assign new SSID names manually, like it did during my initial set up when it was new. I don’t find this acceptable during an internet outage. Especially if I’m away from home and can’t access my modem to fix the issue. I’m hoping it was a one time glitch, but it makes me uneasy. This is my first Netgear modem.
Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 4 of 5

Unfortunately, cable modems seem to allow more ISP control than other services. That's why neither you nor Netgear can do anything to change the firmware on your device.

The one reason why many users like to have separate modems and routers.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7