Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with R8000 firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

alvincenty
Guide

Issue with R8000 firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

Ever since I updated my router to the new firmware, the connection has been dropping daily, and after reading many posts on similar issues, I would like to know how can revert to the previous firmware? This new firmware is a dud.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: Issue with R8000 firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

> [...] I would like to know how can revert to the previous firmware?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  Under Firmware and Software Downloads, look for "View
Previous Versions".  Find the kit(s).  Download the kit you want.  Read
the "Release Notes" file for instructions.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] I would like to know how can revert to the previous firmware?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  Under Firmware and Software Downloads, look for "View
Previous Versions".  Find the kit(s).  Download the kit you want.  Read
the "Release Notes" file for instructions.

Message 2 of 15
alvincenty
Guide

Thanks for the info, I've downloaded the file and it is now running on it. Hope that this was the issue and not that the router is bad, because it is less than two years since we bought it.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 15
alvincenty
Guide

Internet has been doing good ever since rolling back to previous firmware. Netgear should take note of all the issues concerning the latest firmware. Not going to install that one until they fix it.

Message 4 of 15
IrvSp
Master

No offense or rudeness meant, but you've not given anyone much to go on.

You are taking a very myopic view stating "Netgear should take note of all the issues concerning the latest firmware." in my opinion.

I, like many others, have no problem with the firmware. You can't count on the support forum being a good source to compute how many people have problems. Have no clue how many have called into or e-mailed support for this either.

In addition you have detailed nothing as far as your situation, no ISP speed, no modem info, no info on connected devices, and worse yet, nothing on what options in the firmware you have turned on? With all that info, possibly someone here (not Netgear) could help you discover why you had the problem in the first place.

"Not going to install that one until they fix it."

And how do you expect that to happen? Did you think posting here 'reports' the problem? How would you expect them to reproduce the problem with the data you supplied?

I am glad you were able to get the problem resolved, but it really isn't. You could be lacking some security fixes and have a good chance that the next release will not work for you either I'm sorry to say.

I'd also recommend you try the firmware again as it is possible there was an install issue. I'd reset the router first though before installing it and then manually reenter the settings you require. Doesn't work, come back and supply info that might help someone determine why it failed and/or give you some advice to try and locate the problem.

Message 5 of 15
GreenMotion
Guide

I had problems as well with this firmware update. After a day or so, it appears as if internet went down since everything would become unreachable. What seemed to happen though is that the router would stop DNS resolution. Only way to fix was to restart the router. I reverted back to the previous firmware version and the issue does not exist there, so it is definitely isolated to this latest version.

Message 6 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi GreenMotion, 

Did you reset the router after updating the firmware? If not, I suggest to factory reset the router. Is Parental Control enabled? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 15
alvincenty
Guide

Please do a search on this community on "firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49" and check how many posts relate to issues with firmware update. I am not tech savvy to provide all that data you mention on your message, but reverting to previous firmware is working, after reading on performing a factory reset on my router and still losing internet connection daily around the same time. So far no drop on connectivity. Even though you mentioned that you didn't want to be rude, it felt like I got a scolding. I believe in keeping the router up to date with firmware updates, so hopefully a new firmware will work in the near future.

My issue has been resolved, so thanks for your understanding.

Message 8 of 15
IrvSp
Master

Call it scolding or being rude if you want, but all I was trying to say is that you provided NO DATA for anyone to even determine if your problem was a 'known' one or not? Don't know what troubleshooting steps you took either.

All we know now is if you reverted to a backlevel flash you have no problem.

@alvincenty wrote:

Please do a search on this community on "firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49" and check how many posts relate to issues with firmware update.

Well, this is a 'support' forum, no? Did you expect people without problems to be posting here they had no problem? Some have had the problems resolved, others have not. Do you know the percentage of all users of that firmware that have no problems?

@alvincenty wrote:

I am not tech savvy to provide all that data you mention on your message, but reverting to previous firmware is working,

All the more reason to know what settings you have and what you tried. Knowing that one might be able to make suggestions on what to do that may solve the problem.

Do you expect NG to fix your problem if you can't help pin down the cause? For now you have a 'work-around'. Glad that works for you.

Message 9 of 15
Cainjo63
Aspirant

I have just updated to the latest firmware and having similar problems.

i have  a schedule in place to disable my wifi at night. The only way I can restart in the morning is to reboot the router. This issue has never happened before, the only thing that has changed is the firmware 

Can someone assist?

Message 10 of 15
SmallTrader
Apprentice

I have the R8000. All I can say is that Netgear has a very poor track record with firmware releases. It is as if they release firmware with little to no proper regression testing (or any testing for that matter). Even simple thing like the release notes is unacceptable with one liner like "fixed security issues" without any details on which bugs or issues.

I am on  V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 and it is stable because I am on vanilla config and did not use any of the fancy features like QoS, Parental Control/ Circle, DNLA ..etc. Most people would have bought high end Netgear for its fancy features so arguably Netgear has failed its customers badly.

Message 11 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@SmallTrader, I agree on the testing, and what is really needed is 'real world' testing, and that would be a set and mix of beta testers.

As for the Readme info, no company details what security holes were fixed other than the major ones listed by security companies. List unknown to the public problems that were fixed would be an exposure to those who didn't update and make NG routers targets. Bigger problem to me is some use the term 'and other fixes' which are usually problems they found and were not reported to them. Still, I'd like to know what they were.

Message 12 of 15
danms666
Guide

I've had similar issues, and downgraded firmware as a result of this helpful thread.

Message 13 of 15
alvincenty
Guide

@Cainjo63, check on the first replies to this thread, it was recommended to revert to previous firmware. I did revert to previous version and haven't had any issues. I know that some here have made recommendations on to upgrade to newest firmware, and I understand the valid reasons on doing so, so try what is recommended and works for you.

Message 14 of 15
alvincenty
Guide

@Blanca_O, I did the factory reset, and I don't use parental controls, but still had those issues. I had no choice to go back to previous version for internet access to work for me.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7