Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple Internet Speed Tests Fail, Internet Connected

mvim
Aspirant

Multiple Internet Speed Tests Fail, Internet Connected

I bought my router about a month ago to get improved speeds working from home. Overall I've been happy, but recently I haven't been able to use any speedtest application (including the one in Nighthawk's IPhone app). Namely, the ping test to a local server fails from the get go. It's important for me to monitor this regularly, as I'm a data engineer and need move large files to and from my work/home/AWS. Here are the bullet points of the problem and the current configs:

* Service typically able to find a local server to ping, but this ping fails. Problem persists when removing all other connections.

* Internet doesn't have any apparent connectivity issues in normal operation

* Speed tests used: speedtest-cli; Ookla speedtest; Nighthawk's speed test

* Router set up: 

- Firmware is most recent version, according to Nighthawk app (v1.0.3.64_1.0.1)

- QoS IS NOT enabled

- Nighthawk router connected to internet via Xfinity router/modem. Xfinity wifi is turned off and Xfinity router/modem's bridge mode is still disabled (as RAX40 reports incompatibility with bridge mode if I try to disable it) 

* OS used: iOS, macOS Mojave, Ubuntu 19.10

Grateful for any help or hunches!

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Multiple Internet Speed Tests Fail, Internet Connected

So the xfinity device is running in router mode with wifi off and the netgear is running in router mode as well? 

So you've got 2 routers running in router mode?

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

If you have to leave the xfinity device running in router mode, your best option to fix the double nat would be to put the netgear in AP (access point) mode. The makes it so only 1 router is running in router mode on the network. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

So the xfinity device is running in router mode with wifi off and the netgear is running in router mode as well? 

So you've got 2 routers running in router mode?

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

If you have to leave the xfinity device running in router mode, your best option to fix the double nat would be to put the netgear in AP (access point) mode. The makes it so only 1 router is running in router mode on the network. 

Message 2 of 5
mvim
Aspirant

Thanks for your response, so the Double NAT is to blame. I anticipate converting it to an access point would probably remove any WIFI6 advantages though? I had tried switching the XFINITY modem/router to bridge mode, and the XFINITY device had no problems with it, but my RAX40 device gave the error that that it was incompatible with being connected to a modem/router in bridge mode. Is there any solution for that? Haven't seen anything in these forums, but I may be missing something obvious

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

More than likely was an issue with xfinity's device not being fully in bridge mode. happens a lot with isp supplied devices.

You won't loose the benefits of AX in access point mode. It does disable some features but you'd still be able to use the AX wireless and the ethernet ports. 

Here's what it disables:

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 4 of 5
mvim
Aspirant

That makes sense, thanks so much for your help! I had been on the fence about just ditching XFINITY's modem/router and buying a pure modem to use with the new router, and this sinches it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7