Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N600 WN2500 Broadcom Wireless on Laptop WPA2-PSK AES Won't Connect

Rialbo
Aspirant

N600 WN2500 Broadcom Wireless on Laptop WPA2-PSK AES Won't Connect

Here's my baffling problem. Until recently my Compaq Presario Laptop (OK, I know it is elderly) was able to connect to my central Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router, the N300 Range Extender at one end of the home and WN2500 extender in the lower level, whichever it sensed closer.  No changes have been made to the network.

Currently the laptop with Broadcom wireless will only connect to the N300 extender and will not connect directly to the R7000 router nor directly, the WN2500 extender.  WPA-PSK AES is set on all three, there is no ACL on the WN2500 which has 2 wired ports also, no blocked ACL list on the N300 and the R7000 has open IPs with the MAC of the laptop entered and no blocking reported in the ACL.  The signal levels seen on the laptop from all three are VG to Excellent. 

I disabled the N300 wireless connection in laptop settings and it still refuses to access the two devices.  Have changed settings on the Broadcom per recommendations (originals had worked previously) and still. Tried also WPA-PSK TKIP on the devices to no avail. and brought the laptop in closest proximity to each connection source also.

All 4 PCs, 4 printers and two Android tablets on site connect to each of the access points and main router via logins to LAN reservations.  BTW I have tried a static IP on the laptop as well as the DHCP which it does get only via the N300 from the R7000.

My question is whether anyone in the community has experienced this odd behaviour and found a fix.  I'd much appreciate any tech tips other than something flaky with the Broadcom in the laptop which I've reseated and ensured the internal antennae are securely attached.

Thanks in advance for your interest,

Rialbo

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Does the router and the extender have the same SSID? If so try removing the network from the laptop's settings rename the extender to something different from the router and see if it connects.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Does the router and the extender have the same SSID? If so try removing the network from the laptop's settings rename the extender to something different from the router and see if it connects.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Rialbo
Aspirant

Darren, Thank you for your reply. No the two extenders have their own SSID
, however to eliminate all network components but the Broadcom wireless in
 the laptop, I bought a USB Netgear G54/N150 thumb adapter and disabled the
 Broadcom. All good and now much faster 72 mbps data rate to all APs ( including two neighbors Open APs that are 300-500 feet away with 3 bars )
I see the Broadcoms on E-Bay for +/- $10 and may opt to try one for grins to
 prove it out.
For now, all's well. Thanks again for your reply and interest as it is a puzzling selective connectivity issue.
Rich

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7