Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAT for different subnet

pgkool
Tutor

NAT for different subnet

I have a nighthawk R7000, and behind it a cisco switch which had different VLANs configured under separate subnets. The default subnet for the r7000 is 192.168.1.0/24, but I also have a 192.168.3.0/24 subnet and can't seem to get it to access the internet. I can get it return a DNS query, but my thought is that the R7000 is not NATing the 192.168.3.0/24 subnet. Is this possible, if so how? Thanks in advance P

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: NAT for different subnet

I heard from another poster that Netgear quietly removed support for NATing traffic from other local subnets.  I think the reason they gave him was something like it was too complicated for users?!?

Anyway, you are outta luck with stock firmware.  Fortunately for you, there is rich support for the R7000 by 3rd party firmware and I'm pretty sure they can all handle NAT of other subnets.  Pick one (e.g. DD-WRT, AsusWRT-Merlin, Tomato) and have fun.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

I heard from another poster that Netgear quietly removed support for NATing traffic from other local subnets.  I think the reason they gave him was something like it was too complicated for users?!?

Anyway, you are outta luck with stock firmware.  Fortunately for you, there is rich support for the R7000 by 3rd party firmware and I'm pretty sure they can all handle NAT of other subnets.  Pick one (e.g. DD-WRT, AsusWRT-Merlin, Tomato) and have fun.

Message 2 of 3
pgkool
Tutor

Thanks, that was what I was presuming...sneaky sneaky Netgear.

Anyways, I just spent the last few hours installing AsusWRT-Merlin on my R7000 and it now is able to NAT other subnets!

Thanks a bunch TheEther!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7