Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to release IP address on R8000, Blacklisted IP from DHCP

LSEinLAS
Aspirant

Need to release IP address on R8000, Blacklisted IP from DHCP

Purchased new desktop  and dynamic IP address was blacklisted from previous user, The R8000 will not release it, even though I did a hard  reset on the router and modem. I plug the modem into the desktop, no problem. I plug the modem back into the router for wireless and it reverts back to the blacklisted IP address and of course tech support wanted to sell me a 6  month plan to fix my problem. IPCONFIG release/renew does not work through router. Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
LSEinLAS
Aspirant

Re: Need to release IP address on R8000, Blacklisted IP from DHCP

Sage,

I spent  hours and hours on this problem.  Your suggestion fix the problem. On my computer, changing the mac address did not work but changing it to my desktop mac address did. A reboot of the modem and then the router and finally the computer did it.  Thanks again. Hope this stays on top of the list. Many others are facing the same thing and  some are getting pretty angry. There really should be a release function in  the router software.

The first thing I  did was check to see if the new number was blacklisted.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Go to the Internet settings on the router and change the MAC address under Router MAC address.  You can either change the last couple of digits of the router's current MAC address or you can use your desktop's MAC address.  This should trick your ISP into handing you a new IP address.

Message 2 of 4
LSEinLAS
Aspirant

Sage,

I spent  hours and hours on this problem.  Your suggestion fix the problem. On my computer, changing the mac address did not work but changing it to my desktop mac address did. A reboot of the modem and then the router and finally the computer did it.  Thanks again. Hope this stays on top of the list. Many others are facing the same thing and  some are getting pretty angry. There really should be a release function in  the router software.

The first thing I  did was check to see if the new number was blacklisted.

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Glad you got it working.  You can't blame the router.  Blame the ISP.  Their DHCP server will cache the IP address it assigned to your router based on its MAC address.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7