Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6220 low wifi 5G speed

Kromastorm
Aspirant

Netgear R6220 low wifi 5G speed

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my OFC broadband plan to 300 mbps. Before this, the optical switch was limiting the speed to under 100 mbps.

To test the speed, I tried Wifi 5G and LAN network. but I am not able to hit more than 100 mbps in speedtest.net or fast.com.

Current router firmware is at V1.1.0.106_1.0.1.

The tech guy connected the optical switch directly to my laptop, then the speed hit above 340 mbps. Now I am confused about how to gain more speed from this router. I seem to remember that this model LAN network is limited to 100 mbps, but am I wrong is assuming that wireless speed should be close to 300 mbps ? 

System is at 6 feet distance from router. 

Thanks

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear R6220 low wifi 5G speed

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for General Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with older routers and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Based on this older router and it's specs and what your mobile wifi devices are designed and support. You may not see 300Mpbs. 

I see the following connection rates supported by the router:

AC1200 (300+900Mps)†

Again this is a connection rate between the router and devices, not actual bandwidth. 

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 10
Kromastorm
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 for the response. I am posting after a long time, did not check the section where I was posting. sorry for that. 

Would request moderators to move this post to General WiFi Routers section. 

I did search the forum but somehow did not find much on max speed this router supports. I have an alienware laptop which supports Wifi AX speed. Just wanted to confirm if I have hit speed bottleneck with this router, in which case I have to buy Wifi 6 router. 

Would be really helpful if anyone can point out the max speed I can get on LAN/Wifi for this model. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the connect rate seen on the laptop when it's connected to the 5Ghz radio on the router? 

Message 4 of 10
Kromastorm
Aspirant

Getting around 90-05 mbps on both Wifi 5G and LAN. Hence my concern that something is not right. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya theres a problem. The connection rate should be 300Mpbs or higher on 5Ghz AC mode. 

Ensure the wifi drivers for the adapter on this laptop are up to date? 

What are the wireless setting seen on the router for 5Ghz? 

Since you have AX supporting devices, you may have to jump and find something that has AX support on the router side. This router is getting to be older and really doesn't have the best performances that newer model routers offer. 

Message 6 of 10
Kromastorm
Aspirant

I dont think laptop is the issue as connecting laptop directly to optical switch give me speed above 320 mbps. 

What setting are essential for wireless speed, current settings I see are: 

channel - Auto 

Mode - Upto 867 Mbps

WAN setting ( not sure if its relevant )

MTU Size - 1492

NAT filtering - Secured

Wireless 5G Wifi Multimedia enabled. 

Message 7 of 10
Kromastorm
Aspirant

Okay, I fiddled around with my laptop wireless setting, selected ac mode on Wifi 5G frequency ( default was ax mode). Now I am hitting close to 200 Mbps. its still not reaching my plan bandwidth limit. 

my iphone is still showing speed of 90 Mbps though 😞

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Honestly, I would look into something newer. Just seems like with newer hardware and older hardware, there maybe some inconsistancies seen and it maybe time to upgrade. 

Message 9 of 10
Kromastorm
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. 

For new router, what would be a better option, mesh router or standalone router ? My network area is around 1100 SqFt with many hard walls, would a mesh router perform better in such a situation ?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7