Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighrhawk 8000p once a month randomly kicks everything out

Krackenemall
Aspirant

Nighrhawk 8000p once a month randomly kicks everything out

Hello,

Nighthawk 8000p latest firmware updated via my phone app 1.4.1.68_1.3.28
11 devices plugged through wifi, 1 device hardplugged in Nighthawk r8000p.
ISP is xfinity solid blue arrows on the modem Motorola mb 7420 16x4

It happens especially in the morning when no one is awake in the family but me.
Nighthawk r8000p seems to work as intended. Solid lights where it is supposed to be but then blinking lights for 1 to 2 ports as if something is working hard. Meanwhile, my phone must switch auto to t mobile network, security camera system reports no connection to wifi, and all my Roku devices connect to the internet but extremely sluggish and internet check reports less than 1mb/s down to no connection
My only solution so far is turn off Nighthawk r8000p, unplug, turn on Nighthawk r8000p to juice it out 30 seconds, turn off Nighthawk r8000p, plug in, turn on Nighthawk r8000p, then wait.

Now randomly throughout the month I check my roku device in my kitchen roughly 12 feet away from wifi. Reports indicate days before a complete wifi kick with a break down of wifi data speed dropping 74~54mb down to 23~21mb/s (all roku connected to 2.4ghz)(all roku have a specific name and can't interfer)(only 1 roku is on in vast majority of time); thus leaving me perplex with safety, security, or even capability.

Is there anything I can do to check what f.... my wifi up overtime?

Message 1 of 5
Krackenemall
Aspirant

Re: Nighrhawk 8000p once a month randomly kicks everything out

My camera are hard plugged to the wifi router and don't use wifi cam transmitter to router.
Message 2 of 5

Greetings,

I have a similar set up...  

Arris Modem

R8000P (running same FW)

Same ISP but Faster Bandwidth 1GB

My R8000P from a wired/wirelss reliability standpoint is 100% stellar.  No disconnects, dropouts, perfomance dips, or latency issues, etc.

I easily have double your number of devices connecting to the router wirelessly and about 7 devices connected wired (I have a switch too).

I've been using Netgear products in my home and other properties for a long, long time.  The hardware is good, but (as I'm sure you already know) the FW is no longer something that can be counted on.  While connectivity is reliable, features (many of which have been broken for years now) do not appear that they will ever get fixed or addressed.  This has unfortunately, forced to me disable or preclude from using a whole host of things which are present, but sadly cause undesired behavior, ranging from performance issues to stuff simply not working period.  So I've just turned features off.  You're not suppose to have to do this.

Things like Traffic Meter and QoS are two things in particular that seem to contribute largely to intermittent / unreliable connectivity.  If you have either of these features enabled, I suggest you turn them off.  Using Auto-Update, or Auto-Check and Update are also known to cause (unexplainable) reliability issues.

Regarding your complaint.  You said you only have 1 wired connection... " but then blinking lights for 1 to 2 ports as if something is working hard"...  How do you have blinking LED's for up to 2 ports with only one wired device connected?

If other LED's on the router are blinking (besides the internet port) or a port where a wired device is actively connected and passing data, this might indicate another issue.  More information or a better description of the actual behavior might help here.

When we read posts about inconsistent or unreliable behavior, we typically suggest that you confirm / verify all of the following:

Do the slowdowns occur with a device connected directly to the cable modem - have you run something connected directly to the modem and confirmed a stable connection for 24 ~ 48 hours?  (Your ISP is not infallable)

Try changing the cables used for connection between your network devices

Any power related issues?

Have you reset the router to defaults and reconfigured all settings from scratch?

Have you tried manually re-flashing the FW (same 1.4.1.68) and reconfiguring? (manually flashing key point here)

When I validate new FW, I flash, and reset, then make incremental changes restarting the device after each change, validating stability and performance before making another change or enabling another feature etc.

We understand your frustration, we absolutely do, but you need to verify each potential point of failure to isolate the problem.

Following the steps above should help guide you through the validation process, give you greater confidence and insight into your network and hopefully identify your issue.

Message 3 of 5

@Krackenemall wrote:
Hello,

Nighthawk 8000p latest firmware updated via my phone app 1.4.1.68_1.3.28
11 devices plugged through wifi, 1 device hardplugged in Nighthawk r8000p.
ISP is xfinity solid blue arrows on the modem Motorola mb 7420 16x4

Plain modem. No built in router to get in the way.

Any clues in the logs for the R8000P?

Did this start after you upgraded the firmware?

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Message 4 of 5

@shadowsports wrote:

Things like Traffic Meter and QoS are two things in particular that seem to contribute largely to intermittent / unreliable connectivity.  If you have either of these features enabled, I suggest you turn them off. 

Good call, especially with fast internet, when QoS is a waste of time.

One thing not mentioned is parental controls.

Anything that strains the router's processor can bring the thing to its knees.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7