Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nightawk RS400 Wi-fi Router Security Issue?

advent
Follower

Nightawk RS400 Wi-fi Router Security Issue?

I'm not sure if I can trust this router.  Is the below normal behavior?  The router looked brand new, the package was shrink-wrapped but trying to use it leads me to believe that it might have been tampered with.  Please advise.

I recently purchased a RS400 Nighthawk WiFi Router and had many problems with setup:

1. The Netgear IOS app did not work because it not ask me to give it access to my local network.  This seems like a bug in the Netgear app.

2. I then tried to register my wifi router that I bought about 2 weeks ago on Amazon but was told that it was already registered on 6/16/2020 and that my 90 day tech support had already expired.  Very strange.

3. I then plugged an ethernet cable into the wifi router to set it up with my laptop.  I then tried to access routerlogin.net but found that I could not because the password was not the default value "password".  Again, strange because this was supposed to be a brand new router.

4. I did a factory reset and then was able to login with default values admin/password.

5. Now I was able to configure router for wifi access.

6. Accessing routerlogin.net gave a security warning.  I worked around that but then found that every web-site had the security warning.  Is this normal?  I haven't seen any documentation stating that this is how it is supposed to work.

7. I unplugged the router, am not using it, and plan to return it unless I can get assurances that its safe to use.

Model: RS400|Nigthhawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nightawk RS400 Wi-fi Router Security Issue?

It sounds like Amazon may have sold you a returned router.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7