Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6400 in bridge often loses connection to the internet

Ngboi
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6400 in bridge often loses connection to the internet

Hello community!

My Nighthawk R6400 in bridge mode to Orbi mesh often loses connection to the internet. To be more precise, all devices that are connected by cable with R6400 loose internet connection. Though restarting the router always helps in a workaround manner, I’d like to solve this problem.

Can anyone please point out what should I look for in order to prevent R6400 from losing the internet connection in bridge mode?

Thank you and cheers!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R6400 in bridge often loses connection to the internet

On that particular spot I need more LAN connections than my satellite can offer. Can I integrate into existing Orbi mesh setup another satellite model and have the same stability as with the original model? Like for instance a RBS850 satellite into BRB20 setup?

No you couldn't use a rbs850.

compatible satellites: 

rbs20

rbw30 (no ethernet ports)

rbs40

rbs40v (voice, on sale on amazon)

rbs50

rbs50y (outdoor, no ethernet ports)

any of those would work. and if they have an ethernet ports, a cheap gigabit switch could expand the port options. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could try disabling beamforming, fast roaming, daising chaining. 

do you have it bridged using 5ghz or 2.4ghz? 2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference. 

Or you could just buy a orbi satellite and it'd integrate with the orby ecosystem you're currently running. 

Message 2 of 8
Ngboi
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt reply @plemans !

Beamforming and fast roaming had already been disabled and it is in the 5 Ghz mode I used for connecting.

I turned off daysi-chaining. Usually disconnect happens once a couple of days. I'll wait 1 wek max and report back.

Regarding adding a satellite. On that particular spot I need more LAN connections than my satellite can offer. Can I integrate into existing Orbi mesh setup another satellite model and have the same stability as with the original model? Like for instance a RBS850 satellite into BRB20 setup?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

On that particular spot I need more LAN connections than my satellite can offer. Can I integrate into existing Orbi mesh setup another satellite model and have the same stability as with the original model? Like for instance a RBS850 satellite into BRB20 setup?

No you couldn't use a rbs850.

compatible satellites: 

rbs20

rbw30 (no ethernet ports)

rbs40

rbs40v (voice, on sale on amazon)

rbs50

rbs50y (outdoor, no ethernet ports)

any of those would work. and if they have an ethernet ports, a cheap gigabit switch could expand the port options. 

Message 4 of 8
Ngboi
Aspirant

Turning off daysi-chaining didn't do the trick. In less than two days came the next drop.

I like your advise to buy switch. In a week or so I can share my experience.

Meanwhile any other ideas would be highly appriciated. Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

In terms of switchs, some say avoid managed/green switches. I have both and haven't had an issue. I've got tp-link, netgear, and generic switches. They all worked with my orbi system. 

Message 6 of 8
Ngboi
Aspirant

Replacing R6400 router with Orbi satellite helped - no internet drops so far. Orbi - with default configuration. The path looks like this: Internet -> Modem -> Orbi mesh -> Network devices.

Adding a switch broke internet connection, however all network devices connected to the switch can communicate with each other. Switch and Orbi - both with default settings. I bought Netgear GS105Ev2 switch. The path looks like this: Internet -> Modem -> Orbi mesh -> Switch -> Network devices.

Can somene give me a hint on what am I missing? Maybe a configuration setting in either router (Orbi) or switch?

Message 7 of 8
Ngboi
Aspirant

So I found and fixed one problem - overlapping DHCP and static IP ranges of entire Orbi-network. Basically these were the correct settings, which I just forgot to do after recent factory reset of Orbi. Now all devices generally have acces to the internet.

The issue now is that at least some of devices connected to switch lose connection to the internet for a short time. This hiwever is a problem for another story 🙂

Initial problem with R6400-router is solved by replacing it with RBR20-satellite and and a GS105Ev2-switch.

Model: GS105v2|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7