Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6700v2 - No internet from modem - Gets IP for a few seconds then WAN link goes down

drew_s
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700v2 - No internet from modem - Gets IP for a few seconds then WAN link goes down

Hello everyone, I've read every(!) post about the R6700 and no internet connection. I've tried all the suggestions with no avail. So hopefully someone can help me with my specific setup. 

TL;DR

Internet randomly stopped passing through the router. WAN goes on/off constantly now. Internet works when plugged into PC. Tried every step I've seen on this site.

My Setup

I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Arris SB6183 Suddenlink modem, Netgear R6700v2 firmware V1.2.0.24_1.0.1 (latest from website). See Router Info picture.

Background

I bought it about 2 months ago, then one night it stopped giving internet. I have Suddenlink and pay for 400mb/s

Problem

No internet connection. More specifically, the internet statics show the WAN link is going on and off rapidly. It will sometimes say link down and others it says 1000mb/s (see Internet Statistics: WAN Dead and Internet Statistics: WAN Working photos). When the link is working, I get an IP address and gatway (see Connection Status: WAN Dead/Working photos). The WAN only tries to come on when I attempt to access the internet, all other times it's down. Suddenlink tech confirmed 400mb/s is coming out of my cable connection.

Internet capped to 100mb/s. I pay for 400mb/s but when I plug my modem directly into my computer I only get 100mb/s.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken

• "Reset" the modem/router by unplugging both, plugging in modem, waiting for solid lights, then plugging in router
  • Factory reset router
  • Suddenlink service tech tried three different modems
    • Important Note: when he gave me a modem/router combo, the connection was working but was limited to 100mb/s
  • Tried three different sets of ethernet cat5e cables
  • Played with internet setup using all options (dynamic and static dns/ip/gateway)
    • I recorded my dns/ip/gateway from when the modem is plugged directly into the computer and input that into the router
  • Plugged modem directly into PC (the internet works when doing this, but limited to 100mb/s)
  • MAC spoofing: I've tried the MAC of my PC, the "Default" in settings, and hard-coding the MAC from my modem
  • Feedback looping the router. I plugged a cable from the WAN port into a LAN port and both lights were a solid amber.
  • Used Windows 10 "Network Reset" feature
  • Turned off "Windows Auto Tuning" feature as described in this article

Any help will be much appreciated! 

-Drew

Router InformationRouter InformationConnection Status: WAN downConnection Status: WAN downConnection Status: WAN workingConnection Status: WAN workingConnection Statistics: WAN DeadConnection Statistics: WAN DeadConnection Statistics: WAN WorkingConnection Statistics: WAN WorkingInternet SetupInternet SetupRouter LogsRouter Logs

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R6700v2 - No internet from modem - Gets IP for a few seconds then WAN link goes down

If your older router works fine, Probably your R6700 is bad.  I would go to a local store with NG routers and a good refund policy and check out out for a few days.

Also need to check your network adapter card as well. Make sure it's able to connect to a router, modem and a switch at 1000mb and not 100Mb.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R6700v2 - No internet from modem - Gets IP for a few seconds then WAN link goes down

Happen to have a different router besides the R6700 that you can test with? You might try something else to see if the problem follows or not.

Message 2 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. The Suddenlink tech tried a router/modem combo and that worked. I tried an old simple Netgear router (don't remember the model) and it didn't work.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

When you say SuddenLink tech tried a modem/router combo, mean he connect this combo to the Arris 6183?

When connecting your PC directly to the 6183, is your network adapter card connecting at 100Mb or 1000Mb?

Disable any PC security software and browser add-ons temporarily...

Message 4 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

No I meant he removed the Arris 6183 and put a new Arris modem/router combo in it's place. So the end result was: 

Internet cable > new Arris modem/router > PC

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You didn't get a chance to have him hook up the R6700 to the modem router combo did you?

Seems like if you have tried the R6700 and a other older router and both don't work, possible that the 6183 maybe bad on it's WAN port...

To confirm that your other routers are working, you could take these routers to a friend, nieghbor or families place to see if they work at a different location. Or go get a different modem and test with your NG router...

Message 6 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

> You didn't get a chance to have him hook up the R6700 to the modem router combo did you?

Yes, we tried this and I believe it didn't work. It seemed like their router/modem combo didn't like having another router plugged into.

> Seems like if you have tried the R6700 and a other older router and both don't work, possible that the 6183 maybe bad on it's WAN port...

Well wouldn't the fact that I get internet when going directly from PC to the modem rule this out? We also tried three different modems (the modem only model). He did say these modems were acting up and he's replaced a lot of them. But it seems unlikely three are bad? Although I'm just now remembering that the router/modem combo was brand new and all three modem-only's were refurbs.

> To confirm that your other routers are working, you could take these routers to a friend, nieghbor or families place to see if they work at a different location

Good idea. 

Or go get a different modem and test with your NG router...

Yeah I can try the NG again with the latest modem and see what happens. 

Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, seems like something either between the 6183 and your R6700 just isn't working right. If you can test the R6700 at a different location and see if the problem follows, this should let you know.

You might do this, download last FW update or maybe go back to initial shipping FW for the R6700, load it. After it loads, factory reset the R6700, connect it to the modem then walk thru the setup wizard and see if it gets connected and remains connected...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R6700v2-ROUTER-RANDOMLY-DISCONNECTING/m-p/14...

Let us know how it goes...

Message 8 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

I just saw these questions from a few posts up

> When connecting your PC directly to the 6183, is your network adapter card connecting at 100Mb or 1000Mb? Disable any PC security software and browser add-ons temporarily...

PC connected directly to the 6183 I'm getting 100mb.

> You might do this, download last FW update or maybe go back to initial shipping FW for the R6700, load it. After it loads, factory reset the R6700, connect it to the modem then walk thru the setup wizard and see if it gets connected and remains connected...

I think this has a shot of working. Not sure how I didn't realize to try this before. I know I updated my firmware soon after getting it setup, but can't remember exactly if it was ever working on the latest firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R6700v2-ROUTER-RANDOMLY-DISCONNECTING/m-p/14...

Another good idea! I think I've been searching inthe "R6000 Series AC WiFi Routers" board instead of the Nighthawk board.  

I'll give these a try when I get home from work in abour 4 hours. Thanks!

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of your PCs network adapter card? Does it support 100Mb max or 1000Mb max?

Message 10 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

What is the mfr and model# of your PCs network adapter card? Does it support 100Mb max or 1000Mb max?

I have a very old BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67. Yes, it's max is 1000mb/s. Also, I was recieving ~400mb/s before all this trouble started. Good thought.

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

So when this PC is connected to the modem directly, your only seeing 100Mb? Happen to have another PC to test this with?

Possible that the WAN port on the modem isn't giving 1000mb speeds.

Message 12 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

> So when this PC is connected to the modem directly, your only seeing 100Mb?

Correct.

> Happen to have another PC to test this with?

Yes I have a MacBook Pro I can* test with. I'll do that as well when I get home. 

Possible that the WAN port on the modem isn't giving 1000mb speeds.

I know with at least two of the modems (a modem-only, and a modem/router comb) I was only getting 100mb which leads me to believe there is something wrong on my PC. Also, the modem/router combo was putting out 400mb/s through the WiFi, but my computer was only getting 100mb/s.

Edit: cant to can

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 13 of 20
myersw
Master

@drew_s wrote:

Hello everyone, I've read every(!) post about the R6700 and no internet connection. I've tried all the suggestions with no avail. So hopefully someone can help me with my specific setup. 

TL;DR

Internet randomly stopped passing through the router. WAN goes on/off constantly now. Internet works when plugged into PC. Tried every step I've seen on this site.

My Setup

I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Arris SB6183 Suddenlink modem, Netgear R6700v2 firmware V1.2.0.24_1.0.1 (latest from website). See Router Info picture.

Background

I bought it about 2 months ago, then one night it stopped giving internet. I have Suddenlink and pay for 400mb/s

Problem

No internet connection. More specifically, the internet statics show the WAN link is going on and off rapidly. It will sometimes say link down and others it says 1000mb/s (see Internet Statistics: WAN Dead and Internet Statistics: WAN Working photos). When the link is working, I get an IP address and gatway (see Connection Status: WAN Dead/Working photos). The WAN only tries to come on when I attempt to access the internet, all other times it's down. Suddenlink tech confirmed 400mb/s is coming out of my cable connection.

Internet capped to 100mb/s. I pay for 400mb/s but when I plug my modem directly into my computer I only get 100mb/s.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken

• "Reset" the modem/router by unplugging both, plugging in modem, waiting for solid lights, then plugging in router
  • Factory reset router
  • Suddenlink service tech tried three different modems
    • Important Note: when he gave me a modem/router combo, the connection was working but was limited to 100mb/s
  • Tried three different sets of ethernet cat5e cables
  • Played with internet setup using all options (dynamic and static dns/ip/gateway)
    • I recorded my dns/ip/gateway from when the modem is plugged directly into the computer and input that into the router
  • Plugged modem directly into PC (the internet works when doing this, but limited to 100mb/s)
  • MAC spoofing: I've tried the MAC of my PC, the "Default" in settings, and hard-coding the MAC from my modem
  • Feedback looping the router. I plugged a cable from the WAN port into a LAN port and both lights were a solid amber.
  • Used Windows 10 "Network Reset" feature
  • Turned off "Windows Auto Tuning" feature as described in this article

Any help will be much appreciated! 

-Drew

Router InformationRouter InformationConnection Status: WAN downConnection Status: WAN downConnection Status: WAN workingConnection Status: WAN workingConnection Statistics: WAN DeadConnection Statistics: WAN DeadConnection Statistics: WAN WorkingConnection Statistics: WAN WorkingInternet SetupInternet SetupRouter LogsRouter Logs

Message 14 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

@myersw / Bill: I don't see any comment, just my quoted post 

Message 15 of 20
myersw
Master

My oops. Was thinking of a reply and changed my mind and did not do cancel. 

Message 16 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

@myersw

So I've tried a few things

1. Install firmware R6700v2-V1.2.0.16_1.0.1
    1. Factory reset button
    2. Power cycle modem + router
    3. Same problem of WAN going off/on
  2. Install firmware R6700v2-V1.1.0.42_1.0.1
    1. Factory reset button
    2. Power cycle modem + router
    3. Same problem of WAN going off/on
  3. Used new router WNR2000v2 with same modem and same PC
    1. It works

So I'm pretty sure this means it's the R6700 that is messed up right?

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If your older router works fine, Probably your R6700 is bad.  I would go to a local store with NG routers and a good refund policy and check out out for a few days.

Also need to check your network adapter card as well. Make sure it's able to connect to a router, modem and a switch at 1000mb and not 100Mb.

Message 18 of 20
drew_s
Aspirant

Yeah all the data points to the R6700 being bad. 😞 

I have a case witth Netgear support but haven't heard anything in 3 or 4 days. Luckily it's still under warranty.

Thank you SO much for your help in troubleshooting. You're a life saver!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Definately ask for an RMA.

Good Luck.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7