Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000)

dd65
Aspirant

Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000)

I have had this router for 5 years and it is 5 STAR. I use it connected to a 10G switch through the 10G SPF+ port for 2 NAS Synology Media Servers but, How long before Netgear makes a replacement for Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000) with the 10G port ?

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000)

Orbi 9 series is the only home class router with a 10Gb WAN port that has 1x 2.5Gb LAN port along with 1Gb LAN ports. I have support for my 9 series Orbi to be fully wired on 2.5Gb for the two satellites. 

The Orbi 850 series, RAX200 and RAXE500 have 2.5Gb WAN ports or can be used as a LAN port. 

10Gb is still expensive and mostly a business environment need vs home class. Ya It's taken several years for 2.5Gb to even show up for home systems. There is a lot of design work and operational and heat designs surrounding 10Gb. Just can't be added. Also there is PC and CPU considerations as well. Older CPUs can't support 10Gb speeds as well. I presume as time goes on, we'll see more and more 2.5 and 10Gb coming to home systems, though I presume it won't be over night. 

Message 2 of 10
dd65
Aspirant

Well I am a home user and the Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000) is a home user router. I am useing it to it's full potential every single light is lit and has been. Now I need the same thing just including Wi-Fi 6E like the ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6E Gaming Router (GT-AXE16000)

Netgear should not go backwards. My Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000) is a super router but it is time for that to be up graded not downgraded to 2.5G. I do not want to go from Neatgear but if they are going to fall behind I have no choise. My home system is 10G

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the R9000 is a few years old as well. There would be nothing updated on this model router. It supports what is support for the time frame it was designed and released. 

I don't think NG is going backwards in this regard. Also there isn't alot of "home" users that have a need for 10Gb currently. Seems like most of the push to higher speeds are coming from the WAN side. Again it's not cheep to get into speeds over 2.5 or higher. Still kinda spendy for home users. I just spend some good money on NGs 10G switches so I can run my 9 series RBS on 2.5Gb wired back haul. 

Message 4 of 10
dd65
Aspirant

I am not saying NG should update the Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000). I am saying now that I am using the 10G port on the Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000) NG should not drop it down to a 2.5G port on there new routers. NG is forcing me to change my setup because of the lack of a 10G port on there new routers. In other words do not take away what they have already done make it better. Other companies are adding 10G ports and 2.5G ports. So WHY is NETGEAR going backwards. I like every thing about there new routs except they they took the 10G port away. That is all. Thanks for your opinion I understand what you are saying but at the same time MY opinion is also falid.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't see NG going backwards. Like I said they added 10Gb to the Orbi 9 series along with 2.5Gb LAN ports. They going forward, just maybe not at the pace you'd like to see. Again, lots of things to consider with 10Gb. Just cant be added like that. Many design factors go into it. Again, not much home users needed 10Gb market at this time. It's still in limited use and still expensive. Also by the time router mfrs get something put in now, that router soon becomes out dated when newer models are released so putting lots of development and design work in to something haphazardly results in a waste of product and money. Router mfr are constantly putting out routers with new tech. I had the 9000 router for a short time. Was something I didn't need and turned out that the wifi AD mode never came to pass or was used greatly in the real world. Kind of a waste. I hope that NG learned a lesson there. 

Im sure NG will get 10Gb thru out a router at some point. Just have to be patient. 

IF nothing is wrong with your 9000 then why change it out? Still working? If so, what's making you think about a new router? If the R9000 is working, don't fix it. 

Message 6 of 10
dd65
Aspirant

The reason for looking at a new router is that I have had my Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000) 5 years now, I have been utilizing All of its different ports and it has performed above my expectations and I would like to get a new Netgear router. I do not want to replace it with the same model because as you said it is old. I was just saying that they took the WAN/LAN SFP+10G port out of all there new router designs. I am using the SFP+ port to feed my NG 10G switch. My 2 Media Servers are on the NG 10G switch with Backhaul to the Nighthawk X10 SFP+10G port. All works great. At some point my 5 year old Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000) will stop performing. So with all the ports I use on it and are now not available on ANY of the new Netgear Routers "at least not the way I have MY network setup" I need to look to other companies like ASUS for a replacement before my router stops working. There new ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6E Gaming Router (GT-AXE16000) Router has everything I am looking for AND MORE. I have jus ALWAYS preferred Netgear. Witch brings to the ONLY point I was saying is that NETGEAR "IS" going backwards with there routers when there competition "ASUS" is adding ALL that some people NEED/WANT out of a router. LOOK IT UP. The ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6E Gaming Router (GT-AXE16000) Router has 2X what my Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000) has. I WISH "NETGEAR MADE THIS ROUTER" That is my wish and my thoughts. You have yours I have mine. No one is wrong just your setup is 

deferent than mine. MY OPINION IS THAT NETGEAR IS NOT KEEPING UP WITH WHAT THEY GAVE IN THE "Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000)" with there new routers AND THEY COULD. BECAUSE OTHER COMPANIES ARE DOING JUST THAT & MORE. I WANT "NETGEAR" BUT THEY NO LONGER MAKE WHAT I NEED. Hopefully THEY WILL by the time I need a new router.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I have a ASUS GT-AX11000. Thought its WiFi 6 it does have a 2.5Gb port. ALL the other LAN ports are 1Gb. Had it for a couple of years. It's out dated. Over time the the 16000 will be out dated as well. WiFi 7 is now on the plate. 😉

Hopefully you'll find what your looking for. Still doesn't mean NG is going backwards, rather NG may be putting something out at some future date and it's not keeping up to your wants and needs. So there, you'll have to find something else. Ya we hope NG will come up with some something. However I believe NG has more important things to work on. IMO.

Good luck. 

Message 8 of 10
dd65
Aspirant

Thanks for chatting. Yup WiFi 7 is coming. I'm shore Netgear will come up with something. I just hope it is before I need it. Good Luck to you also

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7