Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 dead? Please help

vj2016
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 dead? Please help

Everything was fine until this morning. Opened Genie to check network map and the Internet went down (don't know if it was coincidental).

The Internet LED stays orange indicating no Internet. However, when I connect the Ethernet cable from my cable modem to my laptop I can browse without a problem, so this isn't an ISP issue.

I'm on the newest firmware and I've tried everything possible.

- Simple power boot

- Hard reset to factory settings

- Changed ethernet cable

- Even tried the Kong dd-wrt opensource firmware

- Then flashed the normal one again

No matter what I try, the Internet LED stays orange. I'm at a loss. This is really frustrating - I purchased this on Oct 1st, and barely 6 months later the $300 router seems to be bricked. 

What is my recourse?

Thank you,

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
vj2016
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 dead? Please help

Thanks VE6CG - I figure out the solution on my own (or rather tried various things until one clicked)

Here's what I did that solved the situation in case anyone else runs into this crap. 

1. Flashed a new image (used the latest from the Netgear website)

2. Sent a modem refresh signal from my ISP (Comcast)

3. Did a hard reset on the Netgear router

4. Did  a modem refresh again

And it worked. I had tried some of these sequences before but never did a hard reset after modem refresh, maybe that was the real issue.

This Netgear router is great, I get fantastic speeds (170 mbps) - the only thing that bugs me the genie just isn't very good. All my problems started when I tried using the genie for something.

Anyway, that's where I landed. Hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Did you power cycle the modem?  Can you log in to the router?   Can you ping the router from your laptop? Genie prevents you from learing by doing things manually about your router. In a case like this Genie can't trouble shoot for you.  I tried R8000 when first time it came out, I took one home and returned it the next day. Then I was using R7000. Since you flashed f/w, reset the router, do the same steps as if the router is new one out of box to connect to the Internet. Try using set up wizard CD which came with the router when you bought it.

Message 2 of 3
vj2016
Aspirant

Thanks VE6CG - I figure out the solution on my own (or rather tried various things until one clicked)

Here's what I did that solved the situation in case anyone else runs into this crap. 

1. Flashed a new image (used the latest from the Netgear website)

2. Sent a modem refresh signal from my ISP (Comcast)

3. Did a hard reset on the Netgear router

4. Did  a modem refresh again

And it worked. I had tried some of these sequences before but never did a hard reset after modem refresh, maybe that was the real issue.

This Netgear router is great, I get fantastic speeds (170 mbps) - the only thing that bugs me the genie just isn't very good. All my problems started when I tried using the genie for something.

Anyway, that's where I landed. Hope this helps someone.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7