Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OpenDNS parental control going away?

blrn5
Follower

OpenDNS parental control going away?

I have read that support for Netgear OpenDNS parental control is ending 12/31/2021. Does that mean it will no longer work on my r8000 Nighthawk router after that date - please can someone clarify what is meant by "support is ending".

I would really like to continue using it as it does exactly what I need for my home network along with the bypass accounts.

I guess I am trying to figure out is if on 1/1/22 does the parental control as I have it setup on the router just stop working and/or do the bypass accounts stop working.

I have reached out to OpenDNS on this and have not heard back from them.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: OpenDNS parental control going away?

Future firmware versions will remove//deprecate OpenDNS parental control. NETGEAR is removing less used features in a lot of models to make space for services it can sell you (whether you like it or not). If you're so dependent on OpenDNS PC, do not upgrade to newer versions that remove it

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 5
mjcyber
Aspirant

Instead of using the built-in Parental controls, you can manually configure your router to use OpenDNS servers.

1. Setup a free OpenDNS consumer account

2. From the routers web interface Advanced tab, select Setup -> Internet setup. Under DNS apply the two OpenDNS server IPs listed below. Note your routers Internet IP Address

3. Within your OpenDNS Dashboard set your routers internet IP. Then in the OpenDNS Dashboard Settings tab select your router and choose the Web Content Filtering you'd like applied.

OpenDNS DNS IPs & Guide

https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5

@blrn5 wrote:

I have read that support for Netgear OpenDNS parental control is ending 12/31/2021.

The  R8000P in your footer supports Netgear's paid for alternative to free parental controls.

Which NETGEAR routers support Circle Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What are the available service plans when using Circle Smart Parental Controls on my NETGEAR router?...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7