Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6120 not projecting signal

Lexid19
Aspirant

R6120 not projecting signal

My router is less than 6 mo old and it isn’t sending the wireless signal. I updated the firmware and confirmed it wasn’t the internet. Now all of a sudden the network is appearing but just as netgear and is unsecured. Can I change it back? I really have no idea how that could have possibly happened. Netgear says there is no hardware issues but it’s not working
Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: R6120 not projecting signal

What is the state if the wifi LED on the thing?

@Lexid19 wrote:
I updated the firmware and confirmed it wasn’t the internet.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Specify Basic WiFi Settings.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

By the way, according to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

Message 2 of 5
Lexid19
Aspirant

All three lights are lit up. It’s like it knows there is internet but isn’t sending out the WiFi. Also, this problem was occurring prior to the firmware update and I have tried to do the reset and now it seems like it’s sending out the signal but it is an unsecured network that is just labeled netgear and requires no password. If I hook it up to the computer and try to do it that way would I be able to change the name and password?
Message 3 of 5

@Lexid19 wrote:
If I hook it up to the computer and try to do it that way would I be able to change the name and password?

Yes. Good move.

Follow the instructions in the manual (see above).

Message 4 of 5
Lexid19
Aspirant

Well the computer thing didn’t work so I just attempted to reset it again and set it up as a brand new router and it worked!! Thank goodness because those things aren’t cheap!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7