Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 USB ports not working properly

R7000 USB ports not working properly

I decided to use small form factor USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 flash drives for my ReadyCLOUD account on my Netgear R7000. Here is the outcome of my installation:

-- USB 2.0 drive works in both USB ports
-- USB 3.0 drive works in only USB 2.0 port
-- Both flash drives work simultaneously only if installed in the port opposite of its native configuration.

As a result, I have a USB 2.0 flash drive in a USB 3.0 port, and vice versa. It is functional but not optimal. The flash drives I am using are:

-- SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-064G-B35

-- SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46)

Is this a known issue? If so, is it repairable so I can get the optimal use of my devices? Many thanks!

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions

Re: R7000 USB ports not working properly

The beta firmware fixed the problem. Many thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 16

All Replies
LEyTyHE
Aspirant

For me, the problem is when I use both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 flash drives for my ReadyCLOUD, it only shows the device attached to the USB 2.0 port. Meanwhile, the FTP service works fine as the two drivers shown properly. I don't know the problem happens due to whether my setting or the firmware bug.

R7000, BETA firmware 1.0.5.60

Message 2 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

If both of you used already the beta version v1.0.5.60, please try the 2nd beta firmware below. Reset the router after the update and manually reconfigure.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-62/m-p/1078114#U1078114

Message 3 of 16

The router firmware I have used since the beginning is V1.0.6.28_1.1.83. Are you suggesting that I downgrade?

Message 4 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi millerre1959,

The firmware v1.0.6.28 has been pulled out from support site due to some reported issues. I would suggest using the beta firmware.

Message 5 of 16

The beta firmware fixed the problem. Many thanks!

Message 6 of 16
Texxen
Aspirant

This seems to be a never ending problem. R7000 USB 3.0 port. Had 1.0.5.70 firmware. Updated to 1.0.6.40 firmware. Now have 1.0.6.54 firmware. Same story USB 3.0 shows up,works until I reboot router. Have a SanDisk Ultra Fit 64gb. USB 2.0 works all the time. It's a repeat of everything I've read everywhere else. Are the Asus routers working properly (AC1900 series)???
Message 7 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi Texxen,

Have you tried to reset the router after updating the firmware? If not yet, please try to reset it and manually reconfigure the device.

Message 8 of 16
Texxen
Aspirant

Yes, reset router, no USB 3.0.  (SanDisk ultrafit 64gb, NTFS format,2 partions) Works in USB 2.0

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi Texxen,

Please check your inbox.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 10 of 16
roorats
Tutor

Were you able to solve this issue? I am experiencing the same thing..

Message 11 of 16
roorats
Tutor

I really need help with this issue, its driving me nuts. It worked initially but my USB 3.0 drive just keeps DISSAPEARING / connectivitiy issue?

R7000.PNG

I recently just purchased a SECOND brand new R7000 (yet to be installed) because I was experiencing crazy packetloss when my laptop would connect to WiFi (still don't know what happened there) but it kind of fixed it self / I changed some MTU settings on my Mac (no idea if that was the culprit, I can't seem to find real answers on this issue anywhere). I have not pulled it out of the box just yet but I am considering going "Office Space" on my current R7000 because of this USB 3.0 issue!!

So I've finally decided to set up READYSHARE and READYCLOUD. I have it linked to my USB 3.0 WD 5 TB External HDD. When I initally set it up, I logged into the website and it was perfect, I could see my network drive. I even instaleld the silly desktop app (horrible). Then fastfoward 12 hours, I log in and it is gone. The weird thing is I can see all my folders fine on my mobile iOS device app. I can also clearly see the drive on my wired PC and WiFi connected macbook. But once I login to the ReadyCloud, it just dissapears and SOMETIMES would reconnect and show itself! (But mostly stay DISSAPEARED) What is going on?!!!! I even went into router login to see advance settings and clicked the links leading to parent directories which display a map of all my folders in network drive just fine.

Further, I connected a USB 2.0 External HDD to the USB 2.0 port and I get absolutely NO ISSUES. It shows on the ReadyCloud unlike the USB 3.0. Now here is the kicker, I have trouble transferring files on this USB 3.0 port as well. Sometimes the files are transfered INCOMPLETE or I get Error 0x8007045D while copying files from computer to external hdd. However, when I copy the same set of files to my OLDER 2.0 HDD, I get no issues, well except for slow 2.0 speeds but hey trying to make the best lemonde on earth here. Please keep in mind I am trying to move large data approx 50GB at a time. 

What I would like to know, is this a HARDWARE ISSUE? Because if my NEW r7000 will have the same USB 3.0 Issue then it is better for me to return it before my time expires. And YES I have "Power Cycled" more times than Lance Armstrong also hard resetting. Please, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Firmware Version
V1.0.5.70_1.1.91

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi roorats,

Texxen's issue was a hardware issue. The new unit he has has been working. You mentioned that this is the 2nd unit you have, was the 1st unit working with USB 3.0? 

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 13 of 16
roorats
Tutor

I am still on my 1st unit, have not unboxed the 2nd because I need to know for certain my issue doesn't apply to all R7000 units.

My first question, after finding some info on this topic, is it true that not ALL external hard drives may be compatible with the router?

Last night I purchased a new LaCie 1TB USB 3.0 ext hd and plugged it into the router which to my surprise worked fine in the 3.0 port?? I was able to transfer and view on ready cloud instantly. There was some lag albeit but it worked. However my WD MyBook 5TB is a hit or miss with constant issues. Any thoughts here?
Message 14 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi roorats,

Yes, that is true. Here is the KB article for USB devices that is compatible with the router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985/~/readyshare-usb-drives-compatibility-list?cid=w...

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 15 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi roorats,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7