Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 firmware update then intermittent "Hmm, we're having trouble finding that site"

Jonslee
Aspirant

R7000 firmware update then intermittent "Hmm, we're having trouble finding that site"

Installed firmware 1.0.9.34 into R7000. No problems with that.

Since upgrading firmware however have encountered web site error "Hmm, we're having trouble loading that site".

This appears on PC machines running Win 10, Win 7 running both FireFox IE. Also occasionally on an iPad.

Have flushed DNS and completed a number of manipulations suggested on the MS site.

Intesting recent new informtion: connected by tethering toandriod phone. Have NOT encountered problem connecting in that manner.

Appreciate any suggesions.

Tks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Jonslee
Aspirant

Re: R7000 firmware update then intermittent "Hmm, we're having trouble finding that site"

Hi again IrvSp

It was during our exchange I was able to get the IPv4 DNS mapped to Google (was something like 10.0.0.1 prior). It looks now like there's no problem connecting to any of the test sites I've tried.

Where I'm located suspect bandwidth is shared amongst the local community so will repeat the bash test during business hours to stress connectivity. Fingers cross that goes well.

Appreciate you pointing in the right direction.

J

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

What DNS are you using? ISP's (default setting, get it from ISP) or something else?

Message 2 of 14
Jonslee
Aspirant

J

Hi IrvSp - thanks for the follow-up.

IPV4 shows DNS as:  8.8.8.8 with Alternate as: 8.8.4.4

IPV6 shows "obtain DSN automatically".

J

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 14
IrvSp
Master

IPv4 is the Google DNS's... they should work.

IPv6, you actually using it? Very very few sites really require it? Try disabling IPv6 as a test... that phone hotspot probably does do IPv6 either.

Message 4 of 14
Jonslee
Aspirant

Hi again IrvSp

It was during our exchange I was able to get the IPv4 DNS mapped to Google (was something like 10.0.0.1 prior). It looks now like there's no problem connecting to any of the test sites I've tried.

Where I'm located suspect bandwidth is shared amongst the local community so will repeat the bash test during business hours to stress connectivity. Fingers cross that goes well.

Appreciate you pointing in the right direction.

J

Message 5 of 14
mcluvin
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem and already had IPv6 disabled.  I've tried changing DNS servers and even bypassing the router for DNS.  The problem persists.  I don't recall having this problem when I first updated the firmware.  Now it is happening all the time.  Kinda smells of an active exploit.

Message 6 of 14
Jonslee
Aspirant

Sorry to hear you're having problems even after changing DNS.

I'm happy to report no occurence after disabling IPv6 and chaning all DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 with alternate 8.8.4.4. (Had to do this for both 2.4GHs and 5GHz channels.)
Will also advise, for some reason when I keyed in a DNS change it didn't always 'take' as evidenced by' ipconfig /all'. Ended up confirming each change - after that no prob.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 14
myersw
Master

@Jonslee wrote:

Sorry to hear you're having problems even after changing DNS.

I'm happy to report no occurence after disabling IPv6 and chaning all DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 with alternate 8.8.4.4. (Had to do this for both 2.4GHs and 5GHz channels.)
Will also advise, for some reason when I keyed in a DNS change it didn't always 'take' as evidenced by' ipconfig /all'. Ended up confirming each change - after that no prob.

Good luck.

Glad you got it working. Just a couple of things. One any IP address starting with 10. is a private address and not available on the Internet so would never work for DNS other then a local server. 

I assume when you did the ipconfig /all you had done a ipconfig /release and then a ipconfig /renew. Just doing an ipconfig /all shows current but if changes were made not be reflected unless the client was restarted. 

Message 8 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, ahh, I took "was something like 10.0.0.1" to mean that his Router took that address, in which case it would have been normal. That is why I asked what his DNS was set to? It isn't clear if he set in the devices network properties or on the router to the Google DNS though?

Message 9 of 14
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@myersw, ahh, I took "was something like 10.0.0.1" to mean that his Router took that address, in which case it would have been normal. That is why I asked what his DNS was set to? It isn't clear if he set in the devices network properties or on the router to the Google DNS though?

Just goes to show how two knowledgeable folks can read the same thing and see something different. 😉 I read as DNS was a 10. address. True about not clear.  Working for him which is the important thing.

Message 10 of 14
mcluvin
Aspirant

It looks like my problem is Spectrum related.  I've used Google DNS servers for a long time without issue until recently.  Switching to OpenDNS, I got the same results.  If I use Spectrum DNS, the problem goes away.  I guess this is the Internet without net neutrality.

Message 11 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@mcluvin wrote:

It looks like my problem is Spectrum related.  I've used Google DNS servers for a long time without issue until recently.  Switching to OpenDNS, I got the same results.  If I use Spectrum DNS, the problem goes away.  I guess this is the Internet without net neutrality.

You might want to look at this, DNSBENCH. I too have Spectrum and I ran this program. Spectrum's DNS's were indeed the fastest for me. Strange, but Spectrum 'gave' me 3, not the normal two.

Domain Name Server 75.114.81.1

Oddly enough that 2nd one isn't even CLOSE to me...

From the Spectrum Support page they say they have these, for 2 different areas:

We have several DNS servers in different markets:

• Bakersfield, Indiana, Michigan: 209.18.47.61 or 209.18.47.62.
  • Birmingham and Florida: 75.114.81.1 or 75.114.81.2.

OK, Alabama and Florida, close by. California, Indiana, and Michigan??? I don't think so, and they injected as the first backup the one for those 3?

However, when I ran DNSBENCH, Spectrum was the fastest. The only advantage of using Google's are I think they 'censor' the bad sites out (not sure?).

Message 12 of 14
myersw
Master

I used google DNS servers for a long time, but they started to seem like they were not responding like they had. The dnsbench proved I was right. Right now I am using Cloudflare DNS. Fastest for me in last test and sure easy to remember the IP address, 1.1.1.1 of course the secondary is more challanging, 1.0.0.1. 

Message 13 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, tried Cloudflare, was not impressed enventually. Loading of some pages seemed too long, and then I ran DNSBench. It didn't fare too well.

Might want to look at these links as well:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/cloudflare_dns_privacy/

https://blog.cloudflare.com/dns-resolver-1-1-1-1/ (might contradict the above link).

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-dns-server (rating 1, 2, 3, OpenDNS, CloudFlare, Google DNS's)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-are-the-fastest-dns-providers/ (Cloudflare... but it might be different where you live?)

Other site with numbers...

https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-resolvers

Interesting as Cloudflare is there, but another new one, Quad9 (9.9.9.9) is listed up there, see https://www.quad9.net/ and it 'claims' to be better, especially with respect to Malware, see https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/new-quad9-dns-service-blocks-malicious-domain..., and IBM appears to be involved...

https://twitgoo.com/best-free-dns-servers/ (just done today, 8/13/2018, and CloudFlare isn't even on the list?)

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7