DjRiDe
Apprentice

Re: R8000P dropping wifi connection

So far it's been about 36 hours on firmware v1.3.0.8 and no drop yet. 🙏🏽
Message 26 of 193
sheikh73
Aspirant

R8000P Bricked after recent update

I saw new update available this morning and tried to update it but then router got disconnected from my computer while It was updating. Now I only see power light blinking. I hard reset it using pin but still no go. Any solution to revive it?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Re: R8000P Bricked after recent update

It happened to me when I was updating firmware through wireless/wired connection.

I had to do 30-30-30 hard resetting the router. So I disconnected everything except the power cord to router, and then performed 

the 30-30-30 resetting, then waited few minutes before plugging in the modem WAN and computer LAN ethernet cords, and I was able to 

get to set the router up. But be mindful of the new firmware, it might cause problem as stated elsewhere in the forum, but at least you did revive it, as long as you can get to the router interface.

Hope this helps. Keep us informed.

Message 28 of 193
sheikh73
Aspirant

No I was not able to revive it so far. I get power led flashing only if no network is connected, if I connect my computer with wire then one white led get lit. I did 30-30-30 a few times so far but without any recovery.
Message 29 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Symptoms:

Router not booting up properlyFailed firmware updateBlinking power LEDPower LED is blinking/solid amber
I guess you have to use tftp approach to get it work agan.

To reinstall the firmware:

Download the latest firmware for the router, from http://support.netgear.com. It may download as a .zip file, containing the firmware and some documentation. Unzip it.Download the TFTP client software “tftp2.exe”,  which can be downloaded from http://www.shadowsoftware.net/shadowgameworld/downloads/.
For Mac users, please download the software on this link: http://download.cnet.com/MacTFTP-Client/3000-18508_4-5707.htmlTo do these downloads, you may be able to access the internet by connecting the computer directly to the cable modem, or you may have to use another router or another internet connection.Connect the computer to the router and assign a static IP of the router's default range (192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x) on the LAN connection.If you ping the router's IP you should be getting replies now.Now run the tftp2.exe file that was downloaded earlier.

In the Server field, enter the default IP of the router.In the Password field, enter the default password of the router.In the File field, browse and locate the firmware file that was downloaded earlier.Turn the router off for 10 seconds and turn it back on.While the router is still in the boot process (ie. Power light is still 'amber') click Upgrade and wait for the process to be completed.Once the process is complete, the power light will turn steady green.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 30 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

So far it's been about 36 hours on firmware v1.3.0.8 and no drop yet. 🙏🏽

*******UPDATE TO MY PREVIOUS REPLY*********
My wifi connection just dropped. I'm still connected to the network but no upload or download. So no internet activity. Writing this on my cellular network / phone. Looks like I'm going to return this junk.

Anyone can recommend a good router that's good for high speed, a lot of connected devices, two story home, gaming etc?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Message 31 of 193
MaxMcMetal
Aspirant

Same here. My Wifi is still okay, with strong and clear signal. Windows Repair suggested a DNS Server Issue. So I went into the backend of the router and found, that the DNS Lease was very short. Once I renewed it, it worked perfectly fine for 2-3 hours. 

This being sad I figured out that the R8000P has an issue with DNS Servers. I connected my old dLink router to my ISP and connected the R8000P to the dLink. Guess what: the dLink gets the DNS lease - long and stable, the R8000P does not have to do it anymore: no drops for almost 24h. The point: I can use triband wifi of R8000P. Only downside: I do not get 1000 MBits anymore: only 200 MBits reach my PC connected to Wifi or Lan on R8000P. 

Message 32 of 193
sheikh73
Aspirant

I followed the guide a few times but all 3 tries fail.
Message 33 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi. sheikh73.

Sorrry that you could not get this router back to work. In the interest of getting some light into it, I wonder:

1. Did you get to ping sucessfully 192.168.1.1 address before running tftp2 software (by command run, cmd, ipconfig, and ping)?

2. What was the DNS configuration before you ran tftp2 software?

3. Did the amber power LED still stay amber solidly even after trying tftp2?

Worst case scenerio, if you bought this router within a year, you can call customer support and elevate the case to hardware failure, and very possible that Netgear will swap you a new one. 

Message 34 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

I'm in my return period for an exchange. But makes no sense for me if it's firmware issue that Netgear is not addressing. Can't go three days without having to reboot the router to keep my internet connection. I love the router when it works. Looking for an alternative router with same capabilities. 😩😩😩
Message 35 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Yeah, I have been dealing with this problem from early December, and have been contacting Netgear. It was a headache but I manage to reverse my router to the older version and it has been so stable until today without any problem. Any firmware version earlier than the one dated December 2017 would be ok. I am still working/testing the beta version of the R8000 to see if it is better in terms of internet stability, DNS addressing conficts, etc. Hopefully Netgear engineers will figure out why the December FWs failed in many of their router models.

Message 36 of 193
sheikh73
Aspirant

Hi Terry
I don't know how but after pressing the reset button numerous times and many different other methods router restarted by itself. Tftp2 didn't flash the firmware, I was getting ping on 192.168.1.1 but after router rebooted, I got my old configuration back with 10.0.0.1 IP address and old password as well. This Netgear router is funny. I had no hopes and it came back to life by itself.
I have reflashed it and also factory defaulted as well. So far it's working as normal.
Thanks for your help.

Rashid
Message 37 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi Rashid,
It's good now that you have a working router. Really to save yourself a headache, if you can get to router interface and see any firmware in your router different than v.1.0.3.54, please downgrade to this version. At present time, this version seems most certainly stable, as I have been trying everything else, including the beta versions that NETGEAR engineer sent to me. The latest beta version just tested yesterday and today to no good working one. And I think I had pretty much idea what was causing the whole fiasco with newest firmware, in general.
Just stay with older version 1.0.3.54 until they figure it out. Don't touch the newest versions 1.0.4.4.x.x.x... you will get into problems soon with it.
Best
Message 38 of 193
drobert
Aspirant

How do I get back to the order firmware version (1.0.3.54) so I can re-install that?  I upgraded to firmware version 1.0.4.4 and starting having problems everyone else has been posting.  

Message 39 of 193
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Terry,

You recommand FW version is R8000 not R8000P.

Message 40 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Yeas. Just found out. For R8000P, the older Fw 1.3.0.4 or 1.2.1.6 .
Message 41 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Just to confirm:

Firmware:  R8000P-V1.3.0.4_1.1.96

Is a good firmware to revert back to and should have no internet drops again?  I been reading two different post and one says the above and another says to go to R8000P-V1.2.1.6_1.1.86

I just updated to R8000P-V1.3.0.4_1.1.96 but i wanted to confirm so I conclude my testing to decide if I will keep the router or return.  Dont have much time left in my return period.

I appreciate your help!

Message 42 of 193
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi DjRiDe, May I know which FW let the internet drop . v1.3.0.8 ? or v1.3.0.4 ?

You may try to rollback to v1.2.1.6 after data capture.

Thanks

Message 43 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Hello,

I know v1.3.0.8 dropped after 3 days. I just bought the router less than a month ago and I didn't look to see what firmware the router was on before I upgraded. So I wasn't really sure which to revert back to. Currently just reverted back to: v1.3.0.4

Thx
Message 44 of 193
GB99
Aspirant

New user in the UK with exactly the same problems.

In my case my router is connected to a Netgear DM200 Broadband modem, but otherwise I get the same connection drops on either WiFi or wired.

Have tested everything replacing the R8000P with an old low end TPLink router and no problems with connection from my devices or access to the internet. 

I wish I had seen this post before ordering, I am still in the return period so concluding that I should probably return the product rather than downgrade Firmware.

Message 45 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

So I contacted Netgear Support.

Here's there answer regarding my router having to be rebooted every 3 days:  

Please try three different mtu size in your router, 1400,1492,1472 and monitor each for 2 hours and if you will still face the same issue, then please contact us again.

https://kb.netgear.com/24015/How-do-I-change-the-MTU-size-on-my-Nighthawk-router
please follow the above link to change mtu size.

They also stated the router needs to be plugged into a wall outlet not a battery backup as I have mines.

I find the support level here is lacking from netgear as there support is really general and basic trouble shooting.  Seems this issue has been going on for over a month and Netgear has not found a solution.  What kind of service is this for an expensive router?

Message 46 of 193
stan21
Guide

I have the same issue. Just bought the router 2 weeks ago and used the latest firmware. I’ve had router freezes at least daily. I had USB3 connected and noticed the lockups when using the drive so i disabled usb function and was ok for 2 days but now the lockups reappered. Tonight i had 2 freezes in the spn of 20 min. This time it was the wifi only. My PC which is hardwired was fine, which is different fom before. When the USB was connected the whole internet would freeze and i couldn’t even access the router page at 192.168.1.1. A hard reset didn’t help. Netgear tech support suggested exchanging for another router but looking at all comments i think this is definitely a firmware issue and not a unit specific defect.

The drops are too frequent, i feel this will have to go back to the store for a different model or brand.

Message 47 of 193
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Stan,

May I know the FW version and USB device model name ?

Let me help you~

Message 48 of 193
Anongw65
Aspirant

Hi Stan21,  

My issue seemed to involve a USB connected device, too.  That point was really driven home when the router locked up 'while' I was conducting an operation involving the USB connected device (backing up to a 6TB HD).  I replaced the larger HD with the previous 1TB HD (which worked fine with my old 4500), and the lockups diminished, although they didn't disappear.  Netgear were very helpful, and eventually I RMA'd the unit.  I haven't had any issues with my current unit, but I'll admit that I haven't taxed the USB connected device.  Also, I have my router on a digital timer (finer resolution to 1 minute intervals) which forces a reboot every day.

I must also thank you for giving details (USB related problem).  I can definitely understand the frustration of people experiencing this problem, so I don't deny them their right to vent, but it's your kind of detail that allows trouble-shooting.  Is the USB issue a common thread?  It'd be nice to know, not only for us, the users, but for Netgear, too.

Message 49 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Update::::
1.3.0.4 - still needs rebooting every three days.... I just loaded the previous firmware now. Looks like I will be strongly considering returning for a linksys or asus compatible....

Previous Reply::::
I just updated to R8000P-V1.3.0.4_1.1.96 but i wanted to confirm so I conclude my testing to decide if I will keep the router or return. Dont have much time left in my return period.
Message 50 of 193
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7