Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R9000 X10 Recommended Wireless AD client adapters ?

DonKeddick
Aspirant

R9000 X10 Recommended Wireless AD client adapters ?

Searched the community for any info on which Wireless AD adapters are compatible and/or recommended for use with the R9000 Nighthawk X10 AD7200 WiFi router, but came up empty.

Is there a Netgear KB for compatible 802.11ad devices for the R9000?

Anyone have any experience or recommendations of which wireless AD adapters work with the R9000?

Atheros DW1601 / Qualcomm QCA9005

Qualcomm Wilocity wil6200 / wil6210

Millitronic MG360 802.11ad USB 3.0 Adapter
Intel Tri-Band Wireless 17265

Intel Tri-Band Wireless 18260
Intel Tri-Band Wireless 18265

Intel Wireless Gigabit 11000

Intel Wireless Gigabit 11100VR

Intel Wireless Gigabit Sink W13100

Intel Wireless Gigabit Sink W13110VR

Really would like to make use of the wireless AD on the R9000 in my home office.

Thank you 😉

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: R9000 X10 Recommended Wireless AD client adapters ?

Hello Don,

@DonKeddick wrote:

That's the beauty of wireless standards - even more or less obsolete ones like 802.11AD: There is none required 8-)

You can add the Qualcomm QCA9008 to your list, too.

No practical experience with the older Intel 11xxx/13xxx. The MG360 sounds promising, have never ordered one however.

It was kind of a nice experience using your Dell (QCA9005) and Acer (QCA9008) notebooks with the R9000 - permitting we were seated within the 60 GHz coverage sector. This graphics (I think borrowed from the MG360 marketing materials) does describe things well:

R9000 802.11d coverage.jpg  

With the factory fitted 802.11ad as well as with some module updates (Tri-Band Wireless-AC 17xxx/18xxx) we've done on some Intel-chipset based Asus noteooks [the crux is to find and install the matching matrix antenna with 60 GHz upconverter module and the additional antenna cable in real-world notebooks]. 

As @plemans correctly mentioned - modules are coming in some for 2021 elderly module sizes, even if everything appeared to be right ... we were not able to make these run in some Thinkpad and HP business notebooks.

When it's running - the performance we've seen absolutely stunning!

Real-world experience is that if the cat is walking or sleeping in front of the R9000 or behind the notebook, or a water bottle is placed in the required strict line of sight, the 60 GHz link does go down. All the modded notebooks are updated to Intel AX200 in the meantime, where the R9000 allows PHY link rates in the 1000...1200 Mb/s on 160 MHz bandwidth under less restrictive mobile client positions, and not bringing a lot of heat to behind of the display (some 70...80°C are not uncommon on the upconverter and matrix antennae).  

Have fun experimenting!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Its not which adapters will work with the R9000, its which will work with your device. 

the AD standard wasn't widely adopted because of the AX standard being released. And AX had the same speeds with much better range (plus other benefits)

So there wasn't many made. 

But if you find one that will connect to your pc/laptop successfully, it should connect to the R9000. That's the purpose of a wireless standard. 

the cost of doing so might not be worth it as most of the AD adapters i've seen have been fairly expensive. It might be better worth it to put that $ towards a different connection technique that would survive a router replacement like moca adapters, powerline, wiring with ethernet,  or even just a decent AC/AX adapter. 

Message 2 of 7
DonKeddick
Aspirant

Well Mr. plemans, I didn't ask for your opinions on the usefulness, availability, or cost of using the wireless AD band on the R9000. I specifically asked for any recommendations for 802.11ad adapters that work well with the R9000.

Let me rephase. If you have owned or own a Netgear R9000 and have any experience using the wireless AD band with this router, which 802.11ad adapters are known to work well ?

I was hoping Netgear would have some info on this much like they have a article on recommended/compatible SFP+ modules for the R9000, but I have not found any such info. Anyone have any good experiences with any of the AD adapters I mentioned in my original post or any other's I may not be aware of?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Thanks for the email calling me condescending and telling me to take a hike. 

I'll be happy to avoid any of your posts in the future. 

Good luck with your endeavours. 

Message 4 of 7
DonKeddick
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Thanks for the email calling me condescending and telling me to take a hike. 

I'll be happy to avoid any of your posts in the future. 

Good luck with your endeavours. 

Mr. Plemons,

Please do. I have no time for unhelpful people that respond only to increase thier post count with opinion that does not address the original inquiry.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Hello Don,

@DonKeddick wrote:

That's the beauty of wireless standards - even more or less obsolete ones like 802.11AD: There is none required 8-)

You can add the Qualcomm QCA9008 to your list, too.

No practical experience with the older Intel 11xxx/13xxx. The MG360 sounds promising, have never ordered one however.

It was kind of a nice experience using your Dell (QCA9005) and Acer (QCA9008) notebooks with the R9000 - permitting we were seated within the 60 GHz coverage sector. This graphics (I think borrowed from the MG360 marketing materials) does describe things well:

R9000 802.11d coverage.jpg  

With the factory fitted 802.11ad as well as with some module updates (Tri-Band Wireless-AC 17xxx/18xxx) we've done on some Intel-chipset based Asus noteooks [the crux is to find and install the matching matrix antenna with 60 GHz upconverter module and the additional antenna cable in real-world notebooks]. 

As @plemans correctly mentioned - modules are coming in some for 2021 elderly module sizes, even if everything appeared to be right ... we were not able to make these run in some Thinkpad and HP business notebooks.

When it's running - the performance we've seen absolutely stunning!

Real-world experience is that if the cat is walking or sleeping in front of the R9000 or behind the notebook, or a water bottle is placed in the required strict line of sight, the 60 GHz link does go down. All the modded notebooks are updated to Intel AX200 in the meantime, where the R9000 allows PHY link rates in the 1000...1200 Mb/s on 160 MHz bandwidth under less restrictive mobile client positions, and not bringing a lot of heat to behind of the display (some 70...80°C are not uncommon on the upconverter and matrix antennae).  

Have fun experimenting!

Message 6 of 7
DonKeddick
Aspirant

Thank you for the helpful information. I was able to order a handful of Intel 18265 cards with a couple different Intel M-series 60GHz antenna modules and cables a few days ago. The online vendor had everything available to select from. I was able to order the 60GHz antenna modules such as the 10101R, M10041R, and 20052R I don't think I'll have an issue with putting one of these modules in the Dell E6430u Ultrabooks I have, since they originally could have been ordered with a similar if not exact 60GHz antenna module.in the laptop "lid". The antenna cable already in these laptops for the connection to the DW1601 is a bit smaller, but I can replace that cable with the new ones. I also was thinking of putting one of these in one of my Intel NUCs that sit on the desk with the R9000 and free up a nic port for another device or LAG with a currently connected pc. Have been wanting to play with the AD band for a while now. I already have a AX wifi router and clients, so this is just a project I wanted to try out since I also already have the 10Gb port on the R9000 running to a 10Gb switch with the bandwidth for my internal network.

Thanks again for the info and assistance. 😉

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7