Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Seagate USB 5 TB drive recognized after 2 hrs 45 mins

flossware
Tutor

Seagate USB 5 TB drive recognized after 2 hrs 45 mins

I had this Seagate 5TB drive hooked up to my DD-WRT enabled Buffalo AC1750 with no issues/trouble whatsoever.  This past weekend I purchased the Nighthawk R9000 as the hardware specs were awesome...and it runs Plex natively.  Perfect for my 5 TB drive...or so I thought (I honestly neglected to see which drives were supported as I assumed USB is USB,,,and the drive worked on the Buffalo)...

I was equally surprised to discover (once I setup the router) that it's firmware is OpenWRT - very very cool...

However, much to my dismay, I see the drive isn't recognized upon boot.  Yes, I found the online docs stating which drives are supported (

https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE )

Additionally, I've seen other posts here stating a similar issue.  Here is the "kicker" - after approximately 2 hours 45 mins (give or take), the USB drive suddenly is recognized and properly mounted...and the drive size is correctly seen.

I experimented putting a 4GB thumb drive in one USB port as well as the 5TB in the other...same issue - but the thumbdrive is immediately discovered upon reboot.

I used my complementary 90-day window to get technical support and was basically informed this router doesn't support over 4TB.  I find this to be complete nonsense and must be something related to the OpenWRT firmware port Netgear is including.  I enabled telnet (via the http://[router ip]/default.htm) and tried to force a mount (mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/foo) and nothing - it failed.

There is of course no fdisk installed so I was unable to test that way...

This is a serious annoyance - but I can live with it.  However, I'm dumbfounded how I can be told it isn't supported when after 2 hrs 45 mins, it is recognized.  I'd bet money that installing DD-WRT it'd just work...or for that matter getting OpenWRT will work too...

Curious what others think or have done.  I'd prefer not to flash this unit until the 1 year warranty runs out.  It's almost tough justifying a flash due to the fact it -is- running OpenWRT.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
flossware
Tutor

Re: Seagate USB 5 TB drive recognized after 2 hrs 45 mins

Well sure enough the drive is now available at boot.  I did the following:

• booted
  • enabled telnet (via http://[router ip]/default.htm)
  • telnet'd in...killed the e2fsck process
  • disabled plex
  • disabled all samba shares setup
  • telnet back in and umount the USB drive (for me it was umount /mnt/sda1)
  • ran:  e2fsck /mnt/sda1   (you may want to consider:  e2fsck -y /mnt/sda1)

Please note I had to enter "y" a bunch and it took over 2.5 hrs to complete (thus my noted wait time before the drive was seen).  I also noted "e2fsck -p" was what was being run.  Therefore, doing the above but running "e2fsck -y /mnt/sda1" or "e2fsck -y /mnt/sdb1" should fix your issues.  I'm betting most drives will work...

Now when the router boots, the drive is seen and plex starts up with no issues.

And yes, this drive works regardless of denoted as been supported.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
flossware
Tutor

I just telnet'd into the box after boot.  Notice e2fsck was running.  Seems like when it reboots the drive does not cleanly unmount (is my bet).  For whatever reason e2fsk takes about 2 hrs 45 mins to run through 3.5 TB worth of disk...

Message 2 of 4
flossware
Tutor

I should also mention that I killed e2fsck and suddenly the drive appeared and was mounted.  I killed e2fsck within 10 mins of reboot and then saw the drive mounted 😠

Message 3 of 4
flossware
Tutor

Well sure enough the drive is now available at boot.  I did the following:

• booted
  • enabled telnet (via http://[router ip]/default.htm)
  • telnet'd in...killed the e2fsck process
  • disabled plex
  • disabled all samba shares setup
  • telnet back in and umount the USB drive (for me it was umount /mnt/sda1)
  • ran:  e2fsck /mnt/sda1   (you may want to consider:  e2fsck -y /mnt/sda1)

Please note I had to enter "y" a bunch and it took over 2.5 hrs to complete (thus my noted wait time before the drive was seen).  I also noted "e2fsck -p" was what was being run.  Therefore, doing the above but running "e2fsck -y /mnt/sda1" or "e2fsck -y /mnt/sdb1" should fix your issues.  I'm betting most drives will work...

Now when the router boots, the drive is seen and plex starts up with no issues.

And yes, this drive works regardless of denoted as been supported.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7