× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UPDATING FIRMWARE ON READYNAS ULTRA 2 MODEL RNDU2000

Davidk101
Aspirant

UPDATING FIRMWARE ON READYNAS ULTRA 2 MODEL RNDU2000

This is an old device, fitted with 2x2Tb drives in RAID.  I had so much trouble getting it set up using windows 7 initially that I have since left it alone - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's an NAS on a local LAN with several other PC's.  But that software in it - firmware 4.2.27 - doesn't support connection to windows 10 after v1909.  And since it is still working Ok with a windows 7 laptop, I'd like to get it connecting to the later versions of windows 10 too.  HOWEVER  . .

- is there an updated driver or firmware for it that allows this?  No point in doing an update if it doesn't.

- how do I do this smoothly - ie without the hassles I have had (mentioned above).  I have no idea of the procedure if one exists

- if it doesn't work (forum topics exist about that) how do I revert to the existing firmware and avoid it being a useless lump?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Davidk101
Aspirant

Re: UPDATING FIRMWARE ON READYNAS ULTRA 2 MODEL RNDU2000

Stephen,

That change worked a treat.  much simpler.  Thanks a bunch.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

The RNDU2000 is a READYNAS thing. You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to
Nighthawk WiFi Routers.
(This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but READYNAS  is not a router so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

ReadyNAS Network Storage: Official NETGEAR Community

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Davidk101 wrote:

It's an NAS on a local LAN with several other PC's.  But that software in it - firmware 4.2.27 - doesn't support connection to windows 10 after v1909.  And since it is still working Ok with a windows 7 laptop, I'd like to get it connecting to the later versions of windows 10 too. 

You have two options:

1. You can go into "turn windows features on and off" on the Windows 10 systems, and then enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS client.  Then you can connect them to the Ultra.
  2. You can also convert the Ultra to run OS 6.  The process would require backing up everything on the NAS before the conversion, and then recreating the shares and restoring the files after the conversion.

Let us know if you prefer option 2, and I can post the instructions.

Message 3 of 7
Davidk101
Aspirant

Michael,

yes - I was aware of the Wifi router category - but it would not offer any better alternatives and I searched a lot.  Thanks.

Stephen,

I'll try the first opion and let you know.

David

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Davidk101 wrote:

yes - I was aware of the Wifi router category - but it would not offer any better alternatives and I searched a lot.  Thanks.

ReadyNAS is listed under "business solutions"

Message 5 of 7
Davidk101
Aspirant

Stephen,

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Davidk101 wrote:

I'm glad I could help.  If you do decide to convert the Ultra to run OS 6 firmware in the future, just ask.  It is more difficult, but would give you some additional features.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements