Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to setup QOS on my R8000 (option is greyed out)

wander
Guide

Unable to setup QOS on my R8000 (option is greyed out)

I'm Unable to setup QOS on my R8000 (option is greyed out)

I was looking into setting this up because sometimes one person is watching netflix on the network, and another is browsing the internet, with several other devices connected, and then Amazon Prime Video complains there is not enough bandwidth. 

I've gone into the setup but am only able to choose "setup WMM". I hit apply and it processes and then nothing happens.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Unable to setup QOS on my R8000 (option is greyed out)

I would think removing any ISP provided device would be an improvement - not sure about significantly.  Yes, all wifi bands should have a channel. The best way to test, is put the 8000 in router mode, and start using it as a router..

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi @wander,

Welcome to Community!

I would like to verify if the router was set to AP mode or router mode? If it is on the AP mode, that might be the reason why the QoS is grayed out as the feature is disabled and only works when the router is set to router mode.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 8
wander
Guide

Yes I am using the Verizon Fios wireless router as the main router in the house. I got this because it (the Fios router) was unreliable and on one too many occasions I had to call Verizon and have an in-home visit. Recently Sometimes channel 2 has been completely dying where I need to switch to channel 1 or the regular one (not 5ghz I believe). Meaning I am able to connect to the channel 2 but there is no connectivity. Switch to channel 1 and it works fine.

My setup is Fios router (used as modem and backup wireless connection) + netgear router handles all the connections (4 iPhones, printer, tv, and several computers).

I'm wondering how other people use Fios with this router... Do people buy a modem plus the net gear router instead of the Fios combo unit? Are there any improvements doing it this way?

Message 3 of 8
netwrks
Master

It all depends on the physical distance between your 8000 and the FIOS Wireless. I would think the 8000 would be more than able to handle wireless duties in your home. You could put the FIOS in bridge mode, then configure the 8000 for router mode, then all the settings will return for the 8000. Don't use channel 2 for 2.4ghz, it's an overlapping channel, causes issues for you and your neighbours. Use 1,6.or 11. Do not leave 2.4ghz at auto. Also select channels for your 5ghz bands.

What bandwithd are you purchasing fro myour ISP?

If you can go with just a modem, form your ISP, that would be something I would investigate.

Message 4 of 8
wander
Guide

Speed: I have 50Mb up down

Channels/bands: I believe I left the 3 bands (are channels the same as bands?) as default. #1 is regular 2.4GHz and #2 and #3 are both 5GHz.

Are you suggesting I have to set them to a specific frequency and not auto?

#1 - 2.4GHz

#2 - 5GHz

#3 - 5GHz

My Setup

Just to clarify my current setup

• Condo building with FIOS pre-wired into a utility closet. The FIOS router (Generation 3) is in the closet and connects with Ethernet ports running throughout the apt
  • The Netgear R8000 is connected via one of the Ethernet ports and is located in a central area (open...not in a closet).
  • All devices connect via Wifi (2-4 iPhones, TV, printer, 2 laptops), and 1 desktop connects via ethernet and Wifi (at the same time)

I should have posted here earlier because I noticed that even though my speed tests show ~50Mb up/down, often when I go to certain websites like my site, BornToCoupon.com - there is some lag before it gets going. It's frustrating when I know I've upgraded to 50Mbs yet I'm still waiting. I know its not the computer (mac pro, 32GB ram, SSD drive, and 6 proccessors), don't think its the R8000, only thing left, I believe, is either the internet connection or FIOS hardware.

FIOS Tech Support

I spoke with Verizon Fios and discovered that

1. They use the MOCA standard and there are no MOCA modems available b/c they are the only ones using MOCA, BUT
  2. I don't actually need to use their router at all. Because I am using Internet only (not TV or phone) and because my FIOS router connects via Ethernet, they said I can just remove it and the NETGEAR router should work.Smiley Happy

Would you expect performance to improve significantly if I remove the FIOS router from the loop?

Message 5 of 8
netwrks
Master

I would think removing any ISP provided device would be an improvement - not sure about significantly.  Yes, all wifi bands should have a channel. The best way to test, is put the 8000 in router mode, and start using it as a router..

Message 6 of 8
wander
Guide

I was able to get it switched out.  What I thought would be a 20-30 minute excercise took a couple hours unfortunately.

I had Verizon on the phone while I did it. I removed the FIOS router, put in the Netgear R8000. Verizon broke the IP address lease. When it powered on, they recognized a different router. This is strange because the R8000 was at the source of the FIOS signal. The other router was a small old Netgear I had which got it's signal through the R8000. I powered off the R8000 and Verizon broke the lease again. Now they recognize an Amazon device - it was my Amazon Echo which also typically connected wirelessly via the R8000. Wierd. I turned off the Amazon Echo and small Netgear WGT624 and repeated.  R8000 power off and renew the IP address. 

Finally they recognized the correct MAC address of the Netgear R8000. I thought I was done but nothing could connect to the R8000 via wireless. I tried restoring to factory settings didnt work. Power cycle a few times, no luck. Since I was no longer using Verizon equipment, they couldn't help me troubleshoot it.

I called Netgear (only 90 days of phone support, that's BS!). They had me connect a laptop to the router via Ethernet cable.  Cr@p, the Macbook air doesn't have an ethernet port. Fired up my old Dell XPS15Z, 5-10 minutes later it was done. In the meantime, used another laptop which had a port. It was connecting via Ethernet but no luck setting it up. The rep said I needed to get the Username and PW from Verizon.

I called Verizon back and asked for the Username and PW. There is no such thing. Fantastic! What a waste of time going in circles. The trick? It was to test the signal with a direct connection to the laptop ---skipping the router.  At first it didn't work. The rep put me on hold to check something and it started working. He said he didn't do anything. With the internet connection working, I plugged it into the laptop and went to 192.168.1.1 and it started up the Netgear Genie. A couple minutes later, the connection was working.

Remember that extra Netgear router? I ran speed tests and realized it was really slowing down my upload speed so i removed it and have a much faster connection.

Message 7 of 8
JamesGL
Master

@wander,

Good to know that it is working now. Feel free to update us for any feedback.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7