Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Router Update" option missing along with most of the GUI

theredranger8
Aspirant

"Router Update" option missing along with most of the GUI

I just set up my R7000 Netgear router today. It seems to be working great as far as our internet speed and nework signal range go, but when I log in to access the router's GUI, almost all of it is missing! Naturally, Netgear won't help me, since this router is past its warranty (it was originally registered in 2015, and I am not the original owner.) What in the world is going on here? What can I do to fix this?

My current firmware version is 1.01.09. My ISP is Comcast, but I bought this router myself. Everything else seems to be fine - I'm even using this router to post this discussion.

Also, every feature in the Netgear Genie app seems to be working, even those features that are missing from the router's GUI. I even set up a guest network to confirm this. (So I can set up a guest network through the Genie, but not through my browser.)

I am using Google Chrome, but the same thing happens in Firefox.

I've attached pictures of the Basic and Advanced screens in my GUI.

Why can't I access any of the other features, or upgrade my firmware?

netgear_1.jpgnetgear_2.jpg

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: "Router Update" option missing along with most of the GUI

Have you tried to bypass genie and use a browser and log in the router via 192.168.1.1?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
William10a
Master

Have you tried to bypass genie and use a browser and log in the router via 192.168.1.1?

Message 2 of 8
theredranger8
Aspirant

Yes. The genie is not my problem. It's the router itself at 192.168.100.1 that is missing all of those important options.

I bought this router over eBay. It is used, but very well-kept. (It literally had everything original in pristine condition, including the plastic wrap). The original owner said he's installed the fix for the security vulnerability, and that he did a factory reset just before seling it. He was a little shocked to see those pictures. (For the record, I do trust this person.)

He recommended trying the reste button on the back of the router. I'll be home later today and will be trying that.

Message 3 of 8
theredranger8
Aspirant

I just realized that I misunderstood your question. I thought by "genie", you were referring to the mobile app (which works fine, even where the browser genie fails.) I'll try 192.168.1.1 tonight as well.

Message 4 of 8
IrvSp
Master

That Firmware, if you are on an R7000 is VERY ODD!!! It is at V1.01.9. The latest is V1.0.8? Is it possible V1.0.1.9 which is quite old?

I'm thinking you've got some sort of Beta code on it possibly? May have been made for test purposes?

I'd get the latest, http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.8.34_1.2.15.zip, and see what it does. However it might be hard to install? No way I can see doing it via that Genie GUI?

Assuming that the page IS there, you can back up to the '/' after the router address and add "/UPG_Upgrade.htm" to it and press enter. Maybe the page will show?

Also possible the Genie you have is OLD and not showing the proper stuff. Try clearing the Browser Cache, may help, close and re-open.

Also could be your router? Using something other than IE, Edge, or FireFox, try one of these and see what happens.

All else fails, use this method, https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

to load the firmware.

If the firmware version IS V1.0.1.9 then that could be a problem, and it surely doesn't have the latest fixes. Put the latest on.

Message 5 of 8
theredranger8
Aspirant

The original owner advised me to use the reset button on the back. I did this, but I think nothing changed.

Weirdly... it seems that on this router, I get an incomeplete menu when I visit 192.168.100.1. The whole menu DID appear when I went to 192.168.1.1! And the firmware version is listed differently for each of those IP addresses - for 192.168.1.1, it's version V1.0.7.10_1.2.3.

That solves all of my problems, but out of curiosity, what is the purpose of that second incomplete menu?

Message 6 of 8
IrvSp
Master

That address, 192.168.100.1, is normally the access point to a bridged modem. I use that to reach my ISP's bridged modem and can get to see some pages on it. What is the make of your modem? A Netgear? Ah, yes it is, see the attached screenshots. CM700 and the Cable Modem Serial number on it.

Message 7 of 8
theredranger8
Aspirant

Yep - that's the one. Could have sworn it was 192.168.100.1 I read in the router. Wow... simple enough, huh?

Thanks for the help. Can't believe I didn't realize this earlier!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7