× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX1800

Bartfai
Initiate

AX1800

Was happy with the community chat, But when I went on live chat, the operator then said she was going to have someone from technical support to help me, He called, asked for my IP address told me he would have me up and running in no time, then  proceeded to tell me I was being hacked in from all over, and told me I needed to buy protection from Netgear, rambled on trying to scare me that we were not secured internet ( my husband is a police officer working from home with the most secure network ever) he continued to harass me about getting this protection, and when I said not at this time, he got short with me and said he could not help me hook up my net gear. Kinda seems like a scam, rather than helping me get my Netgear working. 

We still to this day spent a fortune on Netgear and cannot get a better signal

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: AX1800

You called a scam number. There are lots of it on the Web. NETGEAR doesn't offer support and outsources to GearHead. Whatever you found on the Web, it's not legit

Message 2 of 5
ColdInsert
Aspirant

I fell for the scam, today. What do I do now? Get a new router with a new IP address? How do I make sure he didn't plant anything on my machine or infect the other machines on the network?
Message 3 of 5

@ColdInsert wrote:
I fell for the scam, today. What do I do now? Get a new router with a new IP address? How do I make sure he didn't plant anything on my machine or infect the other machines on the network?

Just reset the device – AX1800 is not  a Netgear model number – and set it up from scratch, after you have checked that your PC is not infected with anything nasty. That is where the damage happens, not the network device.

IP addresses have  nothing to do with it. The local address for your router is not accessible to the outside world as long as you protect it with a decent password. The Internet IP address is the one handed out to you by your ISP. It has nothing to do with your network hardware.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

@Bartfai wrote:

Was happy with the community chat, But when I went on live chat, the operator then said she was going to have someone from technical support to help me, He called, asked for my IP address told me he would have me up and running in no time, then  proceeded to tell me I was being hacked in from all over, and told me I needed to buy protection from Netgear, rambled on trying to scare me that we were not secured internet ( my husband is a police officer working from home with the most secure network ever) he continued to harass me about getting this protection, and when I said not at this time, he got short with me and said he could not help me hook up my net gear. Kinda seems like a scam, rather than helping me get my Netgear working. 

We still to this day spent a fortune on Netgear and cannot get a better signal

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7