× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Expanding Wifi Coverage by adding Router

bravovw
Follower

Expanding Wifi Coverage by adding Router

Hi,

Im sure a similar question has been asked before but i was not able to find it while searching.

Problem: My combined modem/router from the ISP provider is broadcasting two networks, call them networkA-2g and networkA-5g. Because the modem's location, half of the house has poor connection to the wifi signal.

Solution: I am going to wire ethernet from the modem to the other half of the house, and am thinking I will connect to a netgear router, which will then give strong wifi signal for that half of the house.

Questions/Requirements:

1. I will still need the original modem to be broadcasting wifi, as well as the new modem? is that possible?

2. The new router i will have added can braodcast the same wifi networks(networkA-2g and networkA-5g)? or will have to be its own new network, EX. networkB?

3. Will the RAX40 do this job? is there a better piece of hardware for this application?

Thanks in advance

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Expanding Wifi Coverage by adding Router

Hi bravovw, 

You may have the RAX40 set into access point mode so that the modem can do all the routing. However, you may also check/look into an extender an setting the extender into access point mode which will be hardwired to your modem/gateway. An extender like the EX8000 could do the trick. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7