× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX4: DHCP Not Working - IP not assigned automatically

@Tommy1981 wrote:
Netgear would not talk to me about how to fix it unless I gave them 139 but he did email me a link to how to manually update the firmware.

Netgear does not provide paid support. It farms that out through Gearhead.

GearHead Support

Or you can try to sort it out here. That costs you nothing.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Tommy1981 wrote:
I called back and explained to the tech guy exactly what I did. He admitted that updating with a computer is better than using a phone app. The app downloads and uploads at the same time, while the computer will download it first and then upload it all at once.

This is a long recognised bit of advice. To add to it, it isn't just using the app that many people avoid. They also refuse to let the browser interface do it. This reduces the risk of an interrupted update that can happen when the Internet does mid update.

The manual approach is always advisable if you have the resources to do it. First download your own copy of the firmware, then apply it.

Message 26 of 42
dshah922
Aspirant

routerlogin.net

Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless Settings>(uncheck) Enable AX

Message 27 of 42
Izumad
Aspirant

Thanks for the response! I'll try this solution.
Message 28 of 42
Bruggiero
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. Judging from the comments and Netgear's crappy support best fix is to scrap it and never buy or recommend a Netgear product ever again.
Message 29 of 42
Dom123
Aspirant

Did anyone resolve this please? Router has just started today giving no DHCP addresses - whats the fix? My R8000 is on V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

Thanks in advance

Message 30 of 42

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Netgear AC1750 router to replace my local ISP router that I had been renting. Setting it up was fairly easy enough, but I noticed that when re-booting the router or if the power goes out for some reason, many devices on my network have trouble re-connecting. They appear to sit spinning waiting for an IP address to be assigned.

I have many "smart" devices connected to my network such as light switchs, light bulbs, outlets, TVs, "smart" speakers, etc. I have ~30+ devices all connected to the network. While I'm in IT software development for a living, I do not do hardware or infrastructure... so I'm by no means an expert in this area. Yet, I know enough to get myself into trouble... 🙂

When the power goes out and all devices start scrambling to get re-connected, the router seems to have trouble dealing with the high-volume of traffic. Not sure if there is a setting somewhere that somehow throttles this or tells devices to refresh or something.. but, here's what seemed to solve my problem.

I simply went into the LAN setup page and assigned static IP addresses to all the devices in the home that are always here. Every light switch, outlet, lighbulb, smart TV, smart speaker, etc. is reserved its own IP address.  Now when I re-boot the router, everyone goes to their spot and connections happen VERY fast.  Seems to have resolved the issue for me.

Then when I connect something new like a laptop, smart phone, etc... not all of those are assigned and IP and the router seems to have an easier time of assigning just those few as needed. It's not doing it for every device every time I reboot or power or network hiccups for a brief moment.

Hope this helps someone.

Steve

Message 31 of 42

@ccwbeliever wrote:

I recently purchased a Netgear AC1750 router to replace my local ISP router

That could be one of several devices. AC1750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

Message 32 of 42

Howdy...

Yes, the Model of my AC1750 is R6400-100NAS

Thanks,

Steve

Message 33 of 42
Jason_akers
Aspirant

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 34 of 42

Possibly.

Did you miss out something?

Message 35 of 42
Jason_akers
Aspirant

No it just won’t work every light is lit up green on my router but it says couldn’t find DHCP when I try to connect
Message 36 of 42
NightComet
Tutor

Just reboot it until it does. Look how long this thread has been going. Look at how many other threads on the exact same issue have popped up. Netgear doesn't give a **bleep**. Horrible product, 0 support. Okay going to unsubscribe from this now, better luck next time you buy a router everyone.
Message 37 of 42
0Manny0
Initiate

Same, I personally won't be buying a netgear or dlink router again, if I hadn't decided to replace my RAX40 with a dream machine pro, I would have just bought a raspberry pi and used pi hole as a router replacement.

Message 38 of 42
DarthCoffeeBean
Aspirant

Been having the same issues with my R8000. Worked for months without any problems. Started getting a single device failing to pick up a dhcp address until the router was rebooted. I also tried rebooting the affected device, but that doesn't help - only rebooting the router fixes it. As time passed, it's slowly turned into multiple devices being unable to get an address and a reboot of the router at least once a day or face the kids moaning because their xbox is getting that dhcp error again.

Fortunately I have a linux machine running in the house, so I've disabled the router's dhcp server and installed dnsmasq on the llinux machine. Everything is working again.

Pretty dissapointed with the Netgear router at the moment - it's not a cheap bit of kit and it's only saving grace is that it's still better than the VirginMedia superhub for WiFi.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 39 of 42
Dom123
Aspirant

I’ve gone into LAN and reserved loads of devices that never leave the house with fixed IPs, not had any issues for a few months (probably just jinxed myself posting this)
Message 40 of 42
smrose
Initiate

I have a 2.5yo R6350 (AC1750) running the latest firmware: V1.1.0.84_1.0.1 with the same issues. I've tried everything as noted in the first post (and downgrading to 64_1.0.1 or 78_1.0.1 didn't help). What I *did* notice, and this is a poor workaround, is that when I reduced the number of connected devices to < 32, then DHCP began working again. 

In all cases, the logfile shows that the IP addresses *are* being allocated, but they never transmitted to the device. With Access Control turned on, successful connections are properly logged when things are working fine. When broken, there are no [Access Control] entries. Again, turning off Access Control does *not* resolve the issue. I believe Access Control is *not* the issue, and the root cause maybe due to an internal table overflow.

The reason that firmware changes or rebooting can temporarily fix is that you reduce the number of devices at bootup. If you have > 32 devices at bootup then it will still fail. A quick test is to change your SSID and try connecting to that one. Things will work until you, once again, connect to too many devices.

My resolution plan is to purchase a new router, but given this major core issue that is not being addressed by Netgear (a wireless router's core function is to connect to wireless devices), I plan to return to Linksys.

Good luck.

Message 41 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for Smart WiFi Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with General and Smart Wifi (WN and R6000 thru R6400 Series) routers. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there since the R6000 series differs from the RAX router series:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

@smrose wrote:

I have a 2.5yo R6350 (AC1750) running the latest firmware: V1.1.0.84_1.0.1 with the same issues. I've tried everything as noted in the first post (and downgrading to 64_1.0.1 or 78_1.0.1 didn't help). What I *did* notice, and this is a poor workaround, is that when I reduced the number of connected devices to < 32, then DHCP began working again. 

In all cases, the logfile shows that the IP addresses *are* being allocated, but they never transmitted to the device. With Access Control turned on, successful connections are properly logged when things are working fine. When broken, there are no [Access Control] entries. Again, turning off Access Control does *not* resolve the issue. I believe Access Control is *not* the issue, and the root cause maybe due to an internal table overflow.

The reason that firmware changes or rebooting can temporarily fix is that you reduce the number of devices at bootup. If you have > 32 devices at bootup then it will still fail. A quick test is to change your SSID and try connecting to that one. Things will work until you, once again, connect to too many devices.

My resolution plan is to purchase a new router, but given this major core issue that is not being addressed by Netgear (a wireless router's core function is to connect to wireless devices), I plan to return to Linksys.

Good luck.

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7