× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX45 - can not change SSID back to previous

hxroberts
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX45 - can not change SSID back to previous

In doing a firmware update, a factory reset was somehow done, changing my SSID and PW back to the original which matches the stickers on the device.  I then went and tried to change the SSID and PW back to what I had setup and I get the error message that the SSID is a duplicate and to please change to a new one.  I tried both via the Nighthawk app and the web browser.  I have no backup.  Is it possible to get it back to using my old one?

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
hxroberts
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk RAX45 - can not change SSID back to previous

My apologies for the delayed response/resolution but I've been away and recently returned to resolve this.  As it turns out, I had an N300 WiFi range extender in the garage for the home security cameras and this was not allowing me to change back to my network name.  I removed this first and then was able to make the changes desired, then reconnected the extender and all is now good.  Thanks for all of your help.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

It's recommended to change the SSID name to a custom name other than what comes as default on the sticker. 

Message 2 of 15
hxroberts
Aspirant

It was changed to a unique SSID and PW when it was setup in late 2020.  I've been doing firmware updates and this is the first time it somehow did a factory reset.  I want to change it back to what I had setup as my SSID.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you do a FR from the reset button in back or from the Backup menu in the web UI using the erase button there? 

Message 4 of 15
hxroberts
Aspirant

Thank you for responding.  Neither - I had checked for updates in the App and there was one firmware update which I elected to install.  When it was completed, it appeared to do a factory reset without my requesting it because the SSID was set back to the original on the sticker.  So now I want to get mine back so that I don't have to go reconnect/setup my Ring, security cameras, smart devices, etc.

Message 5 of 15

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to use a web browser and log in to the routers web page to make changes. 

@hxroberts wrote:

Thank you for responding.  Neither - I had checked for updates in the App and there was one firmware update which I elected to install.  When it was completed, it appeared to do a factory reset without my requesting it because the SSID was set back to the original on the sticker.  So now I want to get mine back so that I don't have to go reconnect/setup my Ring, security cameras, smart devices, etc.

Message 7 of 15
hxroberts
Aspirant

I've followed those instructions.  After I change the SSID and Network key (from the reset factory default) back to what I have had setup and been using for the past few years, I hit Apply and get the message "SSID is a duplicate, please change to another one" and no change is made.  It is still at the factory name and key.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

How was FW updated on the router? Via Nighthawk app or did you manually load FW using a web browser on the routers web page? 

Did you FR using the back button or ERASE button on the WEB UI? 

Can you try a different browser or PC and see if this SSID name will change? 

When you did a FR, walk thru the setup wizard and when it gets to the part about setting up the SSID name, is this where your getting an error? 

Message 9 of 15
hxroberts
Aspirant

I am going to take your suggestion and try on another PC and browser and will let you know the results.  I will do this in about an hour.  

In the meantime, to answer your other questions:

FW updated via Nighthawk app on my iPhone.

I did NOT request the FR.  Not sure how it happened.  After the FW update the SSID and PW were reset to factory.

I am getting the error when I am using the Web browser (www.routerlogin.net) in wireless settings to change.  After changing and hitting "Apply" I get the error.

Thanks again. 

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, something to try, FR and walk thru the setup wizard, input the new custom SSID name during the setup wizard process...see if it will apply here. 

I would avoid FW updates thru the NH app. I prefer manual FW loading when needed:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Use the erase button to do the FR:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 11 of 15
hxroberts
Aspirant

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I tried on another PC and browser with the same failure "Duplicate SSID, please use another one"

I think I'll create an entirely new SSID and reconnect all smart devices, etc.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try that then try a FR and walk thru the setup wizard using a web browser and PC, input the new custom SSID name during the setup wizard process...see if it will apply here. 

Last resort would be to manually re-load FW, might even try prior working FW first using a wired PC and web browser. Setup, then manually re-apply the latest version of FW. 

Seems like something is in a bad state here.

@DarrenM 

Message 13 of 15
hxroberts
Aspirant

My apologies for the delayed response/resolution but I've been away and recently returned to resolve this.  As it turns out, I had an N300 WiFi range extender in the garage for the home security cameras and this was not allowing me to change back to my network name.  I removed this first and then was able to make the changes desired, then reconnected the extender and all is now good.  Thanks for all of your help.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7