× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX50 - Cannot download on Google Play Store

Weezmen
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX50 - Cannot download on Google Play Store

Hello All,

Just installed a brand-new Nighthawk RAX50. Out of the box everything works pretty well except one thing : My Android smartphone (Samsung S20 FE 5G) cannot download any updates or new apps from Google Play Store. It works from another wifi connected on my internet box so I'm pretty sure this relate to the RAX50 router.

Any help on the configuration ? I have already deactivated Netgear Armor without any success.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Weezmen
Aspirant

Hello,

Just getting back on this. I may have found the issue cause & solution.

I just remind my ISP is providing IPv6 and I figured the IPv6 settings were not configured....

I've gone in "Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6" and select "Auto Detect".

Once validated, the routeur has selected "Pass  Through" and it looks like to have solve my issues !

I can now download & updated in Google Play Store.

I have looked into my smartphone IP settings & I can find DNS is both provided in IPv4 & IPv6. Maybe this was part of the problem.

Capture d’écran 2022-12-03 à 10.09.52.png

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
microchip8
Master

What if you disable OFDMA?
Message 2 of 14
Weezmen
Aspirant

I have unticked "Enable AX" (the others OFDMA option were not ticked). Same problem.

Capture d’écran 2022-11-29 à 18.28.13.png

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How is the Basic and Advanced Tab wireless settings configured? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Using WPA2 and AES? 

Message 4 of 14
Weezmen
Aspirant

Firmware is V1.0.11.112_2.0.77, I will post some more details.

Behavior is really strange with Play Store : sometimes it never start the download and some others time it stuck at 99%. In all cases the updates or new apps never installed through the router (but works fine on others wifi or cell network).

Appart this issue it looks like everything is working pretty fine : browsing, streaming (like Netflix), etc...

The issue is definilty with the router, not my ISP, as another wifi router device connected on the same internet box as no issue with Play Store.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen with other Android devices? 

Message 6 of 14
Weezmen
Aspirant

I have just tested with my old Android smartphone (UMI Super). It is based on an older version of Android but and I have exactly the same problem.

I have made a quick diagram to explain the issue. Will be happy to provide more details if necessary.

Capture d’écran 2022-11-29 à 21.10.16.png

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that your ISP Modem (Freebox Revolution) has a router and wifi built in here? IF so, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router. 

Try option #2 first...

Message 8 of 14
Weezmen
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick reply. I will check my internet box config & let you know.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 14
Weezmen
Aspirant

Just for the record : I have found an interesting topic on how to configure my box as bridge (in French sorry):

https://www.forum-nas.fr/threads/freebox-routeur-wi-fi-les-diff%C3%A9rentes-options-maj-04-2021.1211...

The tricky part is that my box is also providing TV through a dedicated extension box that needs VLAN 100 to work so I will have to either create a VLAN 100 on the RAX50 or keep on connecting my TV extension on my main Internet Box (set in Bridge mode).

I will test this and let you know.

Freebox_plus_routeur-wifi_double_NAT.png

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Give the DMZ option on the ISP modem a try first for the RAX router. 

Message 12 of 14
Weezmen
Aspirant

Hello,

Just getting back on this. I may have found the issue cause & solution.

I just remind my ISP is providing IPv6 and I figured the IPv6 settings were not configured....

I've gone in "Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6" and select "Auto Detect".

Once validated, the routeur has selected "Pass  Through" and it looks like to have solve my issues !

I can now download & updated in Google Play Store.

I have looked into my smartphone IP settings & I can find DNS is both provided in IPv4 & IPv6. Maybe this was part of the problem.

Capture d’écran 2022-12-03 à 10.09.52.png

Message 13 of 14
Weezmen
Aspirant

And to add on top of this : it looks like there are some downloading issues with Google Play Store under IPv6 & some Android devices... This could be an explanation on why the issue was only happening with the store.

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/98840/ipv6-bug-google-play-store-gets-blocked-by-default-due-to-defa...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/655209-galaxy-s7-cant-download-apps-use-som...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7