× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX 40 can't find internet

jwohldmann
Aspirant

RAX 40 can't find internet

Just purchased a new RAX40 wireless router.  After downloading the app and turning everything off and on multiple times, the Router can't detect the internet.  I did a LAN connection to my laptop and it worked fine.

I have now been on hold for over 4 hours now!!! 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Stop using crappy apps. Configure your router with the Web GUI at http://192.168.1.1

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? 

many people try to connect to modem/router combo devices and if they're not setup properly, it won't detect an internet connection. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 3 of 6
jwohldmann
Aspirant

Thank you for replying.

I am using a modem from Charter.  I finally got it to work by doing  a factory reset on the router.  Then going through the steps again for the 5th time on the Nighthawk app.

It was very frustrating since it was brand new.

Also, spent 4.5 hours on hold with Netgear only for them to tell me by voice automation that they were having technical difficulties and then hung up on me.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

@jwohldmann wrote:

Thank you for replying.

I am using a modem from Charter.-----not really helpful. an actual model number is more beneficial.   I finally got it to work by doing  a factory reset on the router.  Then going through the steps again for the 5th time on the Nighthawk app.

It was very frustrating since it was brand new.

Also, spent 4.5 hours on hold with Netgear only for them to tell me by voice automation that they were having technical difficulties and then hung up on me. ------if you've seen the notice on all the pages (or even looked at the news), netgear support is getting inundated with calls because of everyone suddenly working from home due to covid. I'm sure they're doing their best but how many companies had the capacity for that large or a surge or even keeping their employees healthy to be open or even take calls? 

Message 5 of 6

My bet is on the usual fundamental mis-step. Stuff got started in the wrong order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

That one happens all the time. It is all too easy to just turn stuff on and plug it all together. Wrong. Been there, done that.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7