× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX20 (AX1800) nighthawk daily dropouts

64sportscoupe
Aspirant

RAX20 (AX1800) nighthawk daily dropouts

My Nighthawk AX1800 (RAX20) WiFi 6 router disconnects all wifi EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

It’s killing me.

Connected devices are; 5 IOT devices (lights), 2 MacBooks, 1 Laptop PC, 3 iPhones, 1 galaxy, 2 iPads. With exception of IOT devices, never more than 4 of those devices are active at a time.
Ethernet connections (never drop out) 1 IMac, 1 Xbox, 1 Apple TV.
Reboot fixes it, or toggling between smart connect and normal connection in the wifi settings, but having to do that every day is infuriating on a 6 month old router that was substantially higher spec than I thought I required.

I’m told a firmware update will fix it, but there are no updates to get.

Am I doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 2 of 11
64sportscoupe
Aspirant

Gateway is the Australian NBN FTTC NCD, same as everyone else.
Firmware is V1.0.2.64_2.0.42
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

@64sportscoupe wrote:
Gateway is the Australian NBN FTTC NCD, same as everyone else.

NBN=national broadband network. 

FTTC=fibre to the curb

NCD=network connection device

Basically all you told me is you have australian internet and its fibre. And everyone in australia has it according to your "same as everyone else". 

That's not a gateway. It doesn't tell me if its just an ONT or a gateway with integrated router. 

Message 4 of 11
64sportscoupe
Aspirant

I have no idea what those things are. I connect the nighthawk to the NCD via an Ethernet cable and it has internet. That’s the entirety of my internet infrastructure in my home.
Message 5 of 11
dropszn
Initiate

Have you had any luck resolving this? I have similar symptoms, with the RAX20 dropping one device at a time, both ethernet and wifi, requiring reboots multiple times a week in order to allow the devices to reconnect.

I was told that NetGear was escalating my case and that I'd hear back in 1-2 days, but it's now been four weeks and I'm not sure what to do next.

Message 6 of 11
SimonWillis
Initiate

I have the same issue with a RAX20. I have about 5 devices connected on the LAN and about 10 wifi devices split over 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Some of the wifi devices have been assigned static IP address mappings in the router. Regularly (every few days), the DHCP wifi clients will fail to connect due to not receiving an IP address from the DHCP server. Often I get around it by switching the device from the 2.4GHz SSID to the 5GHz SSID. This is very frustrating. It started happening within days of installing the router.

From what I have read, there are other users with similar issues on other RAX devices (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-DHCP-Issues/m-p/1917616#M85...). How can this be? DHCP is not exactly a new technology. My old router worked solidly for 5+ years until its power supply died.

Message 7 of 11
64sportscoupe
Aspirant

Still nothing, my chat/phone support ran out while I was dealing this and Netgear are virtually impossible to get any joy out of once that happens. no phone numbers, nothing. Despite my remaining warranty.

I'm over it. I'm going to try returning it to the place of purchase for credit and get another brand wifi router. 

Any recommendations?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 8 of 11
LarsBro
Aspirant

I'm having the same kind of problems with a rather more extensive network, having three near-grown-up kids living at home...

- on ethernet are several switches, desktops, playstations/x-box, printers, TVs, a NAS and so on,

- on WiFi a load of phones, laptops, iPads - up to 10 total..!!!

The router reboots at random intervals, sometimes several times/day.

WiFi is really unstable - sometimes nobody can access at all.

The router is hooked into my ISPs fibre-modem via ethernet.

I'm running latest firmware v 1.0.2.82.

I've tried to do a factory reset to no avail...

Any suggestions???

Message 9 of 11
LimeyGeeza
Aspirant

Same here - Wifi completely drops randomly, and very often. I can still see the device on the wifi network but when i connect it says 'Inccorect Password'. Reboot the device and everthing connects up again. I may have to return this if there is no solution as my ISP's router, although not as fast or Wifi 6 - was at least reliable...

Message 10 of 11
43audio
Aspirant

I've been having this trouble for.. over a year. 
First just couldnt get it to work for like 8 months.. Then it just started working. Now I get these drop outs. 
From what im seeing this is a cooling problem.   

(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO ANYTHING I HAVE DONE UNLESS YOU ARE QUALIFIED. THIS WILL VOID WARRANTY)
(Also, I purchased this on sale in the back aisle of walmart for like $30. I would not be so willing to diy this if I had paid retail.. just think about that before you open it.)

I took mine apart and set the board over a large fan
This was a easy and painless process. There is one large heat sink with thermal pads on one side but the other side had no cooling and was burning up. Once I put the fan on high it cooled down quick and booted as normal.
When running with too many connections it will still overheat and shut down. So hosting game servers, p2p, or a large family all streaming at the same time can definitely take this down.
My solution was to use my own  heatsinks and quality thermal paste instead of the pads. This along with a Noctua fan and a small case modification have made it work how it was intended.
 Not sure why net gear did not properly cool this thing.. 
Internet is basicly the fabric of our lives now.. These boxes connect ALL of us to that source. It is just as.. if not even more important then the the computers we spend hundreds to cool. I think we need to be putting quality fans, paste, and heat sinks inside our routers. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7