× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAXE500 firmware update?

pjd813
Guide

RAXE500 firmware update?

I received an email from Netgear saying that there was an important security update available for my model.

I tried to update my RAXE500 router from firmware version xx.xx.86.xx to xx.xx.96.xx

It took forever for the update process to occur and my firmware version still shows as the “86” version yet the ”language” shows the “.96” version. That doesn’t look right. I “check firmware update” and it says that there are no new updates available. Is that right?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAXE500 firmware update?

DO NOT attempt to open the .chk file in Mac OS. The file gets used and sent down thru the routers WEB UI page. Open the routers WEB UI page in a web browser and send the .chk file there. 

@pjd813 wrote:

Hi,

When I do the download I get a zip file that has two files;  1) an HTML file that takes me to a page that describes the update   and  2)  a file with a .chk extension and my Mac says it has no application to open that file type.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@pjd813 wrote:

I received an email from Netgear saying that there was an important security update available for my model.

I tried to update my RAXE500 router from firmware version xx.xx.86.xx to xx.xx.96.xx

It took forever for the update process to occur and my firmware version still shows as the “86” version yet the ”language” shows the “.96” version. That doesn’t look right. I “check firmware update” and it says that there are no new updates available. Is that right?

Historically, the check firmware update option is poorly executed in the Netgear user interface.

Your best option is to go to the downloads section above, feed in the model number of your device and manually download the firmware update.  Then do a manual firmware update per the instructions here:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router 

Recommend using a direct Ethernet connection to your router.  As of this writing, the most recent firmware for your RAXE500 is Firmware Version 1.0.12.96.

There is a chance the only part that was updated was the language pack.

Message 2 of 8
pjd813
Guide

Hi,

When I do the download I get a zip file that has two files;  1) an HTML file that takes me to a page that describes the update   and  2)  a file with a .chk extension and my Mac says it has no application to open that file type.

Message 3 of 8

@pjd813 wrote:

Read the release  notes.

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAXE500.aspx#docs.

Also:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 8
pjd813
Guide

The references I see to the current update show a large number of fixes. Even if many are inconsequential I’m always interested in the security updates. I’ve tried all of the solutions mentioned here and I am at the point where I get “no update is available” no matter the web UI or the app messages - or the .cfg file I mentioned earlier. Since I didn’t save the settings prior to the update I guess I’m just hosed until the next update.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

DO NOT attempt to open the .chk file in Mac OS. The file gets used and sent down thru the routers WEB UI page. Open the routers WEB UI page in a web browser and send the .chk file there. 

@pjd813 wrote:

Hi,

Message 6 of 8
pjd813
Guide

That worked. I did the update using the web UI from Safari on my iPad.

Thanks!

Pete D.

Message 7 of 8

@pjd813 wrote:

That worked. I did the update using the web UI from Safari on my iPad.

That is what you would have discovered from reading the manual or the KnowledgeBase article I linked to.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7