× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I need 220v power supply for RS700

rhodan777
Tutor

I need 220v power supply for RS700

I need 220v power supply for RS700.

I purchased RS700 US version and since it has big dc power jack, it is hard to find something like this.

any suggestion?

Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I need 220v power supply for RS700

Ya, may need a power converter. 

I don't think NG has 220v PS. 

Message 2 of 25
rhodan777
Tutor

Any similar model like nighthawk with same size dc jack? Any?
Message 3 of 25

@rhodan777 wrote:

I purchased RS700 US version and since it has big dc power jack...

You mean the plug that goes from the adapter into the router?

Netgear does not sell replacement power adapters in most markets. Any generic transformer will work, as long as it has the right volts, enough amps and a tip with the right (+/-) polarity and dimensions. (Look at the label on your device or the old adapter.)

The details you need should be on the old adapter, on a label on the device itself and in its manual.

You can find suitable adapters in all the usual places. Some will even list compatibility with different Netgear hardware.

Some generic adapters come with a set of tips that will fit a range of different devices.

Generic adapterGeneric adapter

Does you US adapter have the specifications on it? The manual for the RS700 says that the adapter for North America is "100-240V, 50/60 Hz input".

Many are 120/240 volt and you can just use an appropriate adapter to plug it into the wall socket.

Message 4 of 25
schumaku
Guru

19V/3.16A (60W) power adapters (also 90W variants) are readily available in the PC markets, the thin center pin intended to power a modem might not allow plugging generic units to the RS700 (or can be cut off) - better order from Netgear.

Bigger problem is that the RS700 US version is limited to FCC regulatory area, and it can't be changed easily. Legally, you are not allowed to operate the FCC version for example in Europe (wrong channel sets, wrong or lack of DFS and TPC). Depreciated. 

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if the RS has a thin or thick center pin. Some routers have a thick center pin.

Something to take in to account:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/RAXE500-power-adapter-replacement/m-p/...

Message 6 of 25
rhodan777
Tutor

this seem right, 7~ mm dc jack.

Could you please name the model in the photo?

I may purchase the power supply for that model instead.

thanks in advance.

Message 7 of 25
schumaku
Guru

This looks like a RAXE500. Either way, even if you are able to find the right power supply, it won't make your FCC RS700 router a worldwide or European model - because newer US FCC regulations do not allow products sold and offered allowing user-control over the wireless bands supported. Better return it to the US seller - because it's not coming with controls to configure eg. the European band plan -and- because it's not coming with a CE mark. If e.g. Switzerland customs will find such a device in a shipping to s Swiss address, it will be destroyed and not forwarded to the customer - and you will be fined, too.

What hits my eyes when looking at an ebay offering of a Netgear branded EU 19V 3.16A AC Adapter Charger For Netgear RAX120 RAX80 RBS40V XR700 Router (Dr. Google is your friend) is the small center pin - because this is an industry standard model for powering laptops - and the center pin is also carrying some constant power, originally intended to power a modem or wake-on-LAN. And oddly, the newer Netgear 19V 3.16A powered routers don't have the tiny center hole - whatever the idea of the hardware designers was going away from a standard 60W PC power supply. For comparison, the R9000 here is allowing the very same connectors.

Again: If the small center hole is blocked, you might have to remove the center pin (or modify the device accordingly - at the cost of loosing any warranty).

EU 19V 3.16A AC Adapter Charger For Netgear RAX120 RAX80 RBS40V XR700 Router.jpg

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

This is the PS that comes with the RAXE500 with no center pin. If the power specs are the same for the RS700, and the RS has same thick center pin in the back of the RS unit, then I would presume the RAXE500 PS would work for the RS. The PS pictured in previous post does not have the right size end plug, too small and has the center pin that can't be removed. 

IMG_2641.JPG

Message 9 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not sure if the RS has a thin or thick center pin. Some routers have a thick center pin.

Not all DC power plugs have a center pin similar to the ubiquitous simple router and the like power adapters common in the low-voltage 2.5V ... 3.3V ... 5V ... 12V devices. For the 19V ATE power supplies, the center pin (in place only to provide some always-own Vcc for a modem or network interface with WoL) is not required - this is why there is no obvious "center pin" on the newer 19V DC input ports as it's in place on the newer Netgear devices requiring more power. The primary operation voltage and power is supplied over an inner and outer contactor ring! 

I really like to bring up a warning that self-importing devices from abroad is a bad idea - unless you exactly know what you do, and what risks are implied. In all European legislations, self-imported devices must carry the CE mark, the manufacturer must supply a EU Declaration of Conformity - all details many buyers are not aware.

You may possibly also find the following information on the declaration of conformity:

• Designation of the radio equipment for traceability purposes; it may include an illustration in which the radio equipment is recognizable.
  • "The notified agency (name, identification number) has issued… (description of its involvement)… and the following EU type examination certificate."
  • A description of the accessories and components including software which enable the radio equipment to be operated in accordance with the requirements and which are entered on the EU declaration of conformity.

Netgear does not supply these for hardware intended to be used in the US FCC regulatory domain only! This no no bad will - this is required for devices they are manufacturing and importing into the US.

Message 10 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This is the PS that comes with the RAXE500 with no center pin.

Correct, excellent example of the newer DC-side plug as supplied by Netgear and probably others.

As I said, the central pin is neither functional nor required for these routers (including earlier Netgear units operating on 19V). A typical power supply sold in the US FCC market (or given to us with Beta units) - well visible based on US-Style AC plug, the UL- and FCC-regulatory marks, and the absence of a CE mark.

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually the center pin is required and is functional. It's the (+) positive power side of the DC power. NG just chose the larger center pin on the router side. I guess better handling of the power and more stable and less flexible to which the smaller plug size on the other PS is more flimsy and flexible and may eventually break the contact on the board, causing failure here. Just a thought though. 

Message 12 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Actually the center pin is required and is functional. It's the (+) positive power side of the DC power. NG just chose the larger center pin on the router side.

Appears you talk about the router side - there is no center pin (which would be only about 2.5 mm!) in the original design intention of these power supplies. Not sure you understand there are three contacts on the original design, look here

ATX power port.PNG

This is what I'm talking of - please don't make it a mess, as we have many users here reading ...:

RED: 0.6 mm center pin ... no longer in use or accessible on the newer Netgear models (==blocked, this is the modem or WoL power on PCs - this pin needs to be cut off for using a standard PC 60 or 90W power supply)

BLUE. 5.5 mm - Inner contact ring ... my guess is +

BLACK: 7.4 mm - Outer contact ring ... my guess is ground -

No guess work .... I leave it to the better informed people, which is the + and which is the - side. 

CUI Devices PP-065574-M.PNG

Source: https://www.cuidevices.com/product/resource/pp-065574-m.pdf 

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

No, I'm discussing those routers that have the LARGE center pin seen on the router side in back as seen here:

IMG_2639.png

Recent and newer model routers that are 6 and 6E supporting seem to now have these large power plugs with the LARGER center pin. My RAXE500, CAX80, RBR960 and RBR970 all have the LARGE size plug. I don't know about the RS700 has I don't have one of those so I can't confirm. 

For the small size and center needle pin plugs in back, my R9000, XR700 and RAX120 have that small size plug and yes, use that same PS model you pictured. This plug is smaller size and will NOT fit the larger sized plugs ever, seen in back of those routers with the larger size plug and LARGE center pin as seen in my picture above. The diameter IS different. 

Been a long time electronic standard that most any center pin is the (+) positive side of the power and the outer portion of the plug is the (-) negative side of the power. Been in electronics for 30+ years so you get to know it. No guess work here. 

Message 14 of 25
schumaku
Guru

What appears to be a large center pin is in fact the part where the connector inner sleeve does connect - the blue ring in my photo. Most likely the (+) connector as per the printed label, too. The red ring is the (-) connecting the connector outer sleeve. Have posted the exact mechanical drawing above for your reference.

Still can't understand why Netgear has dropped the standards compliant three-contact-connector in favor of something non-standard or at best some variation. This does "protect" the user from using industry standard 60 or 90 W 19V power supplies, and causing more confusion than what's required. For a 90W power supply, this makes just a max of4.75A, for 3.15A for a 60W unit.  Weak point will be the very thin outer sleeve contact if any, extremely asymmetric connector design - making fat 5.1mm thick fat contactor is electrically an overkill. The outer plastic ring is massive enough in my opinion.

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Can only presume that maybe NG moved to the larger center pin for better power stability and maybe less flimsy plug being flexed at any point in this life. I've noticed that the smaller plugs are a bit flimsy and flex if you bend the plug up and down or side to side on my routers that have this older plug design. Can cause the plug contact to wear and break the board solder point connections over time. The larger plugs have less flex and give when flexed. More rigged design. And with the additional hardware wifi radios and now multi gig and 10Gb ports now in play, there is more power draw as well. Again, probably or could have better power performances with the larger plug. And maybe some regulatory policy as well. Many factors that go into the design and all. Will never know why. I've asked for confirmation on what the RS has in this regard to the plug size. 

Message 16 of 25
schumaku
Guru

It's just prohibiting using industry standard PC 19V power supplies. Sure, some Cents can be removed from the BOM if simplifying the connectors.

Message 17 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I agree, but there maybe good reasons why. 

Ya, it certainly makes it hard on some that if the PS goes missing, lost or goes bad, how does one get a new unit when NG doesn't offer up replacements. I feel NG should have a way for some users to get replacements. In or out of warranty. Seen other posts where the PS went bad or user lost it in a move. Come asking where can they get another. Hard to find online today. Why I reference that prior post from @Tigerwife for historical reference.

The outer diameter is 7.4 mm and the inner diameter is 5.1mm.

Message 18 of 25

Was asked to post the picture of the power plug end and the socket on router so here we are... no pin in the middle of the plug.

Message 19 of 25

Was asked to post the picture of the power plug end and the socket on router so here we are... no pin in the middle of the plug.

Message 20 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @jessejames87 !

Yes - depending on the wording, to some users the inner connector (where the small additional contact for the additional always-on power for modems and WoL is located) does look like a large center pin (reversed) to the common DC barrel plugs. This is where the confusion is coming from - leaving alone I have not seen these on standardized power supplies yet - what can make it difficult to locate third party alternate power supplies.

Message 21 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks @jessejames87 for posting that. Confirms it's the larger center pin as I suspected. I see the pin is (+) as well. Glad that's still standard. 

So maybe possible for the RAXE500 PS that could be compatible. Can you post a picture of the PS label from the RS700? 

Message 22 of 25

not the best photo but legible.

20231214_093148_1702564425263.jpg

Message 23 of 25
schumaku
Guru

All newer models like the RS700, WAXE500, WAXE450, ... share the same 19V/60W power supply DC connectors. The same power supplies can be used on -all- 19V DC units like the R9000 with the (fully standard compliant) APC models, the small inner 0.6mm pin is is not required. This variant is much easier to be found in the free market then want I think is the proprietary modded one.

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for posting that. 

And to confirm, the power plug tip looks similar to the one I pictured here? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-7-BE/I-need-220v-power-supply-for-RS700/m-p/235...

@jessejames87 wrote:

not the best photo but legible.

20231214_093148_1702564425263.jpg

Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7