× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router keeps giving wrong IP to a single computer

satconcook
Aspirant

Router keeps giving wrong IP to a single computer

So, recently, out of nowhere, one laptop of mine on the network started getting a 172.19. IP instead of the 192.168. IP range that I have set up on my Nighthawk RS700 with Firmware Version V1.0.7.80_2.0.79. At first I thought it was something to do with the computer. However, whenever it went to a different WiFi network it gained the 192 IP of that network with no issue. I was so convinced it was the laptop that I formatted the computer and started from scratch. Well, even in the default start up it still gains a 172. IP. So, I have searched every setting I can possibly think it could be and there is nothing in the router that would indicate it would assign a 172 IP to that device. I reboot the router while that laptop is still trying to connect and suddenly gets a 192 IP. Figured the solution was resolved. However, the laptop restarts and back to the same 172 IP. Even the router shows it has an attached device with this 172 IP, however, I do not get internet access with that due to the network being set on 192. I have tried forcing a manual IP on the laptop and it will work, till the next time it restarts. I have tried both the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands that it can see and the same results. I am about to to a default restore on the router now out of frustration but figured I would come here to see if anyone else might know a possible cause.

All of my other wired and wireless devices are working fine. Even the wireless computer I am typing this on has recently been restarted and gains the correct 192 IP. The laptop is an Alienware X15 R1 with the Killer 1675x WiFi controller and the latest update from the Dell support site. I thought maybe NordVPN was the cause of the issue and this is what eventually led me to the resetting of Windows to remove all that potential and even in the default restore it gives the same 172 issue. 

Message 1 of 5
satconcook
Aspirant

Just went to firmware 1.0.7.82_2.0.80 and no difference. 

Message 2 of 5
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, I've sent you a private message on this. Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
satconcook
Aspirant

So, long story short, I found the problem. Not router or computer related. Just apparently forgot my old cable modem was connected to the network still. I have no idea how it hasn't been an issue before. No idea why it is even still plugged up as I have been on fiber for nearly a year now. Guess with getting the new router and something changing on the network it finally came around to wanting to assign an IP again. The only way I isolated it was going back to scratch and connecting 1 device at a time to the router and watching it assign an IP. As I am hooking the wires back in, also confirming where they went. I had one that was blinking but not registering an IP. Moved some dust covered items and there it is. My old cable modem. Well, the least I can say is I have one computer that is back to square one and now I know for sure what is connected to my network, again. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model is this cable modem?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series