Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 We can't find your Orbi

kubilus1
Initiate

I've sent PMs with my serial number, waited multiple days, rebooted etc.  Still no change.  I think my system may be seriously trashed by this update.  This unit is less than 3 months old.  I'm really regretting my decision to go with Orbi over other options.

Message 451 of 654
jcfergus
Tutor

@annoyedNGcust has it exactly right.  This is not just a failure in technology, this is a failure in customer relations.  As a 20+-year software developer and infosec engineer, I know the kind of things that are probably going on behind the scenes here, and have been in the throes of them myself, so don't envy @ChristineT her position at all.  Competent management would have spent 2 hours building a web form that people could use to submit serial numbers directly, instead of having to go through Christine's DMs.  Competent management would not have a message at the top of the forums saying "We are working to resolve an issue that is preventing some customers from accessing the Orbi app or web interface for the Orbi RBK85x and RBK75x. We are investigating this as the highest priority and will provide updates at Status.NETGEAR.com " when status.netgear.com says nothing about this besides "some systems are down".   Competent management would not continually give "48 hours" resolution times, but then reveal elsewhere that it may be "weeks" before the update actually happens.  Competent management would not rely on their users searching reddit to find out that they're not the only one with the issue.  

I bought Netgear because I've been burned by other major router companies, and tolerated the uselessness of Netgear's "security" (ok, so there's a security issue with one of my connected devices - you gonna tell me what that issue is??), and the limitations on functionality (like not being able to disable or schedule automatic updates - love it when those hit in the middle of a work day), but really, enough is enough. 

Message 452 of 654
doctt123
Tutor

Thanks @ChristineT   Everything works now....less than 24 hours after I've submitted my serial number.

Appreciated!

Message 453 of 654
Himshah
Apprentice

Who knows this is real or story or if there is any Christina. I have paid support and I have been told no such person is exits doing that. I am now told that my case is upgraded to engineer. Still no update or patch
Message 454 of 654
doctt123
Tutor

You have the right to chose what you believe.  However, many of us have the issue resolved after DM our serial number to Christine.

You can spend 2 min to write a message to complain or you can spend 30 seconds to DM her your serial number.  Your call...

Message 455 of 654
Himshah
Apprentice

They have my serial number for days thru my L2 support.
Message 456 of 654
static14
Initiate

@ChristineT I DM'ed you my serial number a couple of days ago and wanted to check to see if I've been added to the list. Thanks.

Message 457 of 654
bytesmasher
Aspirant

Hello, 

I sent my serial number to @ChristineT 

Hoping my RBR750 will be receiving an update soon. My support case was closed without any meaningful instructions. 

Here's to hoping...

Message 458 of 654
Yozza222
Tutor

Four times over three days I’ve pm’d my serial and still nothing has changed???
Message 459 of 654

@doctt123 the technologists on this thread admire your optimism (and bravery).

But do you really think if Netgear was confident in the fix that they wouldnt have pushed it out silently in the background in the same manner that they pushed the update that hosed all of our Orbi systems?

They are still in "oh shoot someone messed up" mode and really arent sure how to fix it yet at scale.  So rather than recreate in a lab, their engineers are likely saying let's get poor Christine out there to collect S/Ns, push the half baked fix to those that are willing to be a lab rat, and cross our fingers.

There are nearly 500 people on this thread.  In all likelihood, only 1% of users have even noticed since the majority of folks hardly ever try to go to their admin console (except when they really need to).  So in theory, many tens of thousand of poor, unsuspecting users likely have this defect.

Dont let Netgear off the hook on this one my friend....

Message 460 of 654
daffinito
Guide

@Yozza222 did you reboot both your router and any satellites? The fix won't be applied until they are rebooted (unplug them for a few seconds).

Message 461 of 654
Yozza222
Tutor

Thanks, yes I’ve rebooted router and satellites numerous times. If anything things are getting worse (slower)
Message 462 of 654
Deathjoker
Guide

I have a 750 that isn't responding.  I DM/PMed Christine with my Ser# 4 days ago.  I have rebooted the router and satellites several times, including twice today.  Nothing has changed.  "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED". 

How many times should I hope that "today is my day!"?  What indication should I get? How many times should I have to tell my household I am resetting the router?  With a family and work from home, should I stay up at night to reset and test this?

If it can't be pushed, why isn't a patch that I can install locally provided?

I don't use the Orbi app.  I only use the http interface, because I feel I shouldn't need some cloud account to access a device in my closet.  In fact I chose the Orbi because it was the only mesh wifi6 router I could find (at the time)that didn't require a cloud account to sync the satellites.  I routinely check for updates myself and keep the firmware up to date (at least monthly) because I feel that is part of maintaining my devices and security.  For my security and privacy "diligence", I now can't even forward a port without a factory reset?  What gives?  And why should I [give]?

Message 463 of 654
Jmenchac
Tutor

Hi Christine, sent you my serial number couple of days ago. Rebooted today and still no luck. Can you check if the patch was sent to my router? Thanks
Message 464 of 654
minorhavok
Initiate

I haven’t heard back so I suspect you are right. I assumed giving the serial number would get me a push in at least 24 hrs… nada… so I guess we will probably be the Guinea pigs.
Message 465 of 654
EmWhyKay44
Tutor

If you've sent your S/N and it's been a day or two, seriously consider power cycling your appliance.
Weird thing is that while that worked for me, the app still won't work. Simple solution though. I uninstalled the app. As long as the web interface works I'm good (personally speaking of course).
Message 466 of 654
Jmenchac
Tutor

Web interface not working either
Message 467 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @static14 ,

I can confirm your serial number was on the list to be updated. If you haven't done so already please restart your router (unplug for 10 seconds and plug it back in). It have heard some people report the second reboot seems to work if the first restart doesn't resolve the issue. This is especially true if your router was experiencing the issue described in this thread.

Please let me know the results of your restart(s). 

Best Regards,

Christine

Message 468 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @Himshah ,

I am sorry to hear you're still experiencing issues after contacting support. I have taken measures to collect your serial number and will submit it today for the next round Sunday evening. If you need a more immediate remedy please factory reset your router. This is a known workaround to restore access to access and manage your router's settings.

I am happy to work with you directly. Please send me a private message with your contact information and the best time to reach you.

Respectfully,

Christine

Message 469 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @bytesmasher,

I have also collected your serial number and will ensure your Orbi system is among the next batch to receive the patch. We are continuing to monitor the feedback and making adjustments as needed, so the next round is scheduled for tomorrow night. You can check your system as early as Monday morning. If you are still experiencing the issue, please reboot. As mentioned in a previous response, those impacted by this issue may require an additional restart.

Kind Regards,

Christine 

Message 470 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @jcfergus ,

Thank you for sharing your suggestions and concerns. I will share it with the appropriate audience. 

Kind Regards,

Christine

Message 471 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @kubilus1 ,

You may have seen some of my recent posts. I have verified you are also among the group that should have received the patch. Please reboot and let me know if further assistance is needed.

Warm Regards,

Christine

Message 472 of 654
static14
Initiate

restarted a few times and I was able to log back in. 🙂 Thank you for the help. 

Message 473 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @annoyedNGcust,

Thank you for your candid feedback.  I can assure you, that I have the whole of NETGEAR supporting me behind the scenes. You'll be happy to know, that I am not alone in my "obsession" to ensure our customers can recover quickly and easily. We are continuing to test and learn around the clock during this initial phase to ensure the patch does not negatively impact our customers any further. We are taking every little bit of feedback and digging into it further as needed. We will also post a communication in the near future when this patch has been officially deployed. This way we can ensure it's as comprehensive as possible.

I will convey your sentiments to our management team for their review.

Kind Regards,

Christine

Message 474 of 654
Jmenchac
Tutor

Restarted a few times and I can now access my router settings. Thanks Christine
Message 475 of 654
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7