Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Allow a “fixed” connection to specific Satellite versus Router Master SXR80

JohnD333
Apprentice

Allow a “fixed” connection to specific Satellite versus Router Master SXR80

I must power cycle my WiFi devices that do not move whenever OrbiPro6 reboots. Upon reboot (firmware update, configuration change, or just troubleshoot) it is understood that it is “normal” for the router to come back on line before the satellites. This causes devices normally connected to those satellites to attempt connection directly to the router even if signal is very weak and thus very slow performance or no performance. Once the satellites come back on line a device that moves around will again find the stronger signal of the correct satellite. However, a device that never moves will not. I have many pc’s, printers, WiFi speakers, thermostats, and iRobot’s that are not in a location where they can be wired. It is a big pia to take complaint calls and the only solution is to tell operators to power cycle devices when they have sluggish or near zero performance, or to have to do this myself. Can future firmware allow a device to be somehow linked to a specific satellite versus the router? Or can satellites be directed to come back on line first?

Thank you
Message 1 of 3

Re: Allow a “fixed” connection to specific Satellite versus Router Master SXR80

Or maybe set it up such that nothing can connect until the router and all satellites have completed the reboot.
Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Allow a “fixed” connection to specific Satellite versus Router Master SXR80

The appropriate approach (as implemented on the WAC5xx and WAX6xx APs) would be a feature allowing to disassociate sticky clients (remaining connected to a bad signal). This would help "dumb" (non 802.11k/v/r aware) wireless clients to re-establish a connection to the best BSSID (the best radio available) for the configured SSID.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements