× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How turn off wifi radios on Admin Network of SRR60 for wired only network?

How turn off wifi radios on Admin Network of SRR60 for wired only network?

I intend to use my SRR60 as a wired network with only occaisonal use for wifi, thus would like to toggle off wifi radios when not in use for greater security, however, I don't see that option on the Admin network. There's an option to enable/disable wifi for Networks 2 or 3, but oddly it doesn't seem Netgear has provided the security of turning off wifi radios on the Admin network (the most important network of the 3). They have that option on other routers, but apparrently not Orbi, and very surprisingly and disappointedly, not even the Orbi Pro SRR60. Any solutions? 

Model: SRK60B06|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 8

This response doesn't help at all. NOT RESOLVED!

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device model. There are differences between Orbi Pro and Orbi.  

I have asked the Netgear moderator to move your message. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, dear.  Netgear has multiple "community forums" where customers communicate with each other about their products.  People who participate in this forum own the "residential" Orbi product and have almost no knowledge of the "Pro" product.  That other forum is for customers who own the Pro products.  There very well may be a method to disable the primary WiFi network on the Pro product, but none of us are likely to know about it.  Netgear support staff and engineers do not appear to participate in the community forums.

I  would think that the combination of (a) a VERY strong WiFi password and (b) using Access Control to limit which devices can connect to the WiFi network should provide enough security.  If that is not enough, then this is not the right product.  There are so many WiFi devices in my house that there would never be a time when I could "shut it off".

Message 5 of 8

Your response is not helpful unfortunately. I selected my product model number above and presume that directs the question to the correct forum - if not, what's the purpose of selecting a model number in the community. Also, I see only one community link - there's no separate community link for Orbi Pro. Unfortunatley, your solution doesn't address the issue. Network passwords and Access Control are preventative measures, but not foolproof. The only foolproof method is to have no wifi...hence why not give customers the option...it doesn't cost Netgear anything and enhances security for those with wired systems that only need wifi occaisionally. Should be a toggle switch for wifi radios on/off. It's a feature that's obviously needed - perhaps not for you, but for many others. Orbi provides this featuer on other producsts. Thus, issue still NOT RESOLVED

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

The first response included the link to Netgear's community forum for the Orbi Pro:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-pro-wifi 

Assumptions are sometimes incorrect.

There is also a forum specifically for users to make suggestions to Netgear:https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home If you check some of those posts, it is pretty obvious that many Netgear customers find shortcomings or changes they would like to see made.  And it's also pretty clear that Netgear acts upon very few suggestions.

I fear the only "RESOLUTION" is to return the product and purchase something else.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Finally seems to have posted in the right forum and is now being helped: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/How-turn-off-wifi-radios-on-Admin-...

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series