Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have never been able to update firmware on my SXR80

Aronsonstack
Aspirant

I have never been able to update firmware on my SXR80

Is there a way to manually update the firmware? Since we purchased this, we have never successfully updated. Either from the phone or from the web. We get an email immediately... "Netgear Account Alert: Device Command Failure..." 

In our web portal, it says Chat Support, Phone Support, Online Case Entitlement... all EXPIRED. This was purchased in May or June. What the hell? It could be years after I purchase something from Dell, but I can still contact them for help. Hardware Warranty still good though, that's the only thing that doesn't say expire, it says 2026. But apparently, I can't contact them for help? LOL!  There must be something I'm not understanding. 

So I guess I need to go to the community for help. Please advise, thank you. 

Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: I have never been able to update firmware on my SXR80

@Aronsonstack,

Good day! 🙂  

Is there a way to manually update the firmware?

Yes, kindly read pages 140-142 of the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 user manual here and follow the instructions indicated.  

You can download the latest firmware version for the SXR80/SXS80 here

In our web portal, it says Chat Support, Phone Support, Online Case Entitlement... all EXPIRED. This was purchased in May or June.

The SXR80/SXS80 comes with a 90-day complimentary technical support upon date of purchase from a NETGEAR Authorized Seller.  This is indicated on page 3 of the SXR80/SXS80 data sheet here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
JohnD333
Apprentice

You can also purchase extended phone tech support.  You call the same number to purchase. Of choices choose business or enterprise systems or you will get bounced around before getting to the correct person.

Regardless of tech support status, be sure your Insight app is up to date when you try updating firmware.  Although you can force firmware update via a browser web page, other changes made that way will not stay - they are overridden by insight cloud when insight is next accessed.  

Message 3 of 8
quagmire1
Luminary

@DaneA 

The download link you provided still contains a broken link (i.e., ".zip" needs to be appended to make the link work). Can you contact the correct person to get that fixed? Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Did you see there is firmware upgrade page in standalone GUI? What's current firmware you are running with? before 3.2.5.102, we had some firmware upgrade issue. Please manually upgrade to > 3.2.5.102

Message 5 of 8
Aronsonstack
Aspirant

Okay, I figured it out. Because the moment you install this, everything pushes you towards the insight app. But I've been unsuccessful trying to install from the app. Then I try the insight website as well and fail there. I finally remember that there is an actual Orbi Router Admin. I couldn't login because I don't remember the password, but I must have accessed this page before because it had some secruity questions that only I could answer, which allowed me to reset it. I then downloaded the firmware from the link you gave, went back to the admin to manually update each. I think it we should mention that in the link you gave me, users should click on the link that's right under TOP SUPPORT ARTICLES because that will take you to the page for both the main unit and the satellite. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000064214/SXR80-SXS80-Firmware-Version-3-3-0-122?language=en_US 

BTW, when you update the Satellite, it logs you out of the admin, you have to log back in, and the website looks a little different for the Satellite. Netgear, you guys make things confusing. LOL! 

Message 6 of 8
Aronsonstack
Aspirant

BTW, the whole reason why I had forgotten about the actual Orbi Router Admin is because everytime I try to access it, it says I'm not on the Orbi wifi network. That is the reason why I just continue to use Insight, and completely forgot about the actual admin. I use the Orbipro as an access point. Is that why when I'm on ethernet, I get this message? If I were to use the Orbipro as the main router, I wouldn't get this message, right?

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Under Insight management, under Location Settings, you can find the local Device Admin Password pushed to each Insight managed device configurred on that location.

Insight Location Settings.PNG

Insight Location Settings - Device Password.jpg

@Aronsonstack wrote:

...everytime I try to access it, it says I'm not on the Orbi wifi network. ... I use the Orbipro as an access point. Is that why when I'm on ethernet, I get this message?

Guess you are referring to these URLs like orbilogin.net or the like - there is no "magic" of making this DNS A record pointing to the Orbi Pro (primary device, router) LAN IP if the DNS query does not pass the Orbi Pro device.  

@Aronsonstack wrote:

If I were to use the Orbipro as the main router, I wouldn't get this message, right?

Probably yes - permitting you are connected to a network passing the Orbi Pro satellite or router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements