Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi SRR60 disconnection

Desk1
Tutor

Orbi SRR60 disconnection

Hello,

We have 1 SRR60 and 3 SRS60 in a meshed network.

From time to time we have to restart the SRR60 because our users get disconnected from it.

Is it normal behavior ?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi SRR60 disconnection

Not really, no. 

what firmware is the SRR on? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What error do they get? "connected, no internet", does the ssid stop broadcasting entirely, do wired devices drop, what actually happens? 

Message 2 of 9
Desk1
Tutor

Hi,

The firmware is V2.6.2.200

It is connected to a Nighthawk X4S D7800 

The error they get is indeed connected no internet, and no issues with the wired devices.

They are simply working on their computers and then the internet connection drops for wireless users, but wired devices works fine

I have since moved the users to wired when I can, but that isn't a real fix for this problem.

There could be a week or 2 with no problems and a rather stable connection and then in a single week we would have to restart them 2 or 3 times maximum.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. The newest firmware 2.7.0.122 has quite a few fixes in it. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/srk60.aspx

2. Is the D7800 in modem only mode? Or is it acting as router and the SRR60 in access point mode? Just checking to see if its a nat issue

3. Are you on dsl service? or using a different gateway that the D7800 is connected to? 

4. Does the D7800 drop as well or just the SRR60?

Message 4 of 9
Desk1
Tutor

Hi, 

Thanks I'll check out the link you sent

No the D7800 is in router mode, the Orbi is just an access point. We were having DHCP issues (the former IT service decided to let the D7800 and the Orbi be DHCP servers on the same network) so we made a separate DHCP server to handle that with a DNS server.

The D7800 is connected to a DSL line yes, no other router before it

Cannot say for sure since we fragmented the network, wired works well so I would say the D7800 doesn't drop but then again we didn't try to ping it from wired users when the wireless network drops. I'll try that next time and let you know 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Whenever I see a network made more complex and having issues, I usually recommend simplify it first. 

So right now you're going:

D7800---->DNS server/DHCP server------>SRR60

Is that correct? But you have the D7800 in router mode? 

And is the SRR60 in router mode or access point mode? 

What do you have setup for the DNS/DHCP server? 

Message 6 of 9
Desk1
Tutor

I can't really simplify the network, the network used to be :

D7800(Router, DHCP server)---->Windows DNS and AD server------>SRR60 in router Mode with DHCP server on

The windows DNS and AD server wasn't pointed to as preferred DNS in both router's DHCP, so there was a bad mess in the network. Network shares and GPOs wouldn't work properly

We changed it to :

D7800 (Router, Default Gateway)---->Windows DNS, DHCP, AD server (In the config we made sure to point the correct gateway)------>SRR60 in access point mode

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

When the SRR60 is in AP mode, its relying on the DHCP server for IP addresses/data. If that's expiring and not renewing because of how its configured, thats when you'll get the "connected, no internet". 
Its why I'd recommend simplifying. If its not possible, you could always reboot the srr60 weekly or check into the dhcp server and see what its doing for renewing IP addresses. 

Message 8 of 9
Desk1
Tutor

Wouldn't there be a similar issue with the wired users or is it because of the "simplicity" of wired connections that they don't fault like the wireless ones ? 

I'll check the DHCP logs and see if there is a possible error or service that drop when the wireless network is down

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements