Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50Y - Nothing connecting to it

dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

RBS50Y - Nothing connecting to it

I have 2 indoor SRS60 satellites and 1 outdoor RBS50Y connected to my Orbi Pro SRR60.  All deviced are on

• Firmware Version: V2.5.2.104

Nothing connects to the outdoor satellite.  To test this, I:

- rebooted the RBS50Y and the SRR60, wait for 10-30 minutes, confirm in Insight and via brower that both devices are up, talking to each other, and connected to the Internet

- reset the RBS50Y including trying the Sync button

- rebooted 4 different devices (iphone XS, Rachio sprinkler, 2 ihome outdoor outlets.

All devices connect directly to the router and not to the outdoor satellite, even though they are either directly in front of it or far away in the garden, in direct line, ie:

Router  -------- 20'------------RBS50Y-------1' to 15'--------Device in a direct line.

The problem is that the signal beyond 15' into the garden is very weak and drops off within 20'.  That's why I bought the RBS50Y, which is mounted on the outside of the house directly facing the garden, on a wood wall, with direct line-of-sight.

The RBS50Y connects via wifi and does not have a direct wired connection.

The SRR60 is upstairs about 20' away. 

When I log into the RBS50Y the status shows:

• Hardware Version: RBS50Y
  • Firmware Version: V2.5.2.104
Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (2.4GHz)
  • Name (SSID): NirodhaPrivate
  • Channel: Auto ( 5 )
  • Region: North America
  • Mode: Up to 400 Mbps
  • Wireless AP: On
  • Broadcast Name: On
  • Security Type: WPA2-PSK[AES]
Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (5GHz)
  • Name (SSID): NirodhaPrivate
  • Channel: 36+40+44+48(P)
  • Region: North America
  • Mode: Up to 866.7 Mbps
  • Wireless AP: On
  • Broadcast Name: On
  • Security Type: WPA2-PSK[AES]

Using the iPhone insight app, it shows the Mesh Link Status as Good for the outdoor satellite but shows it (and all satellites) having Firmware Version 2.5.1.106 with "New Firmware Available", but whdn I log in to the router directly via my browser it shows Router Firmware Version V2.5.2.104, as do the satellites.  When I check for new firmware, the table confirms this:

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterSRR60SRR60V2.5.2.104No new firmware version available.
SatelliteSRS60Lower SouthV2.5.2.104No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50YOrbi OutdoorV2.5.2.104No new firmware version available.
SatelliteSRS60Lower NorthV2.5.2.104No new firmware version available.

I have stood in front of the RBS50Y with my iphone and disconnected my iphone wifi and reconnected.  The iphone connects to the router, not the outdoor satellite.  I have a Rachio lawn watering controller directly next to the satellite and have power cycled it.   The Rachio connects to the router, not the satellite.  I have devices in the garden that also only connect to the router.  If I walk into the garden, the signal drops out by about 20' and I lose my wifi connection.  Reconnecting even at that distance fails.

Nothing connects to the RBS50Y.  Not at 2.4Ghz, not at 5Ghz.   Logging directly into the RBS50Y shows no attached devices, even after doing a refresh.

I have enabled the sync ability on the RBS50Y via the router web page then pressed the satellite's sync button within 2 minutes.  The bottom light pulses white then abruptly stops, then pulses white a time or two, then abruptly stops, then continues pulsing.  After 3 minutes or so it goes to a solid white.

Looking at the router via the web interface, there are 20+ devices connected via wifi in the 'Attached Devices' screen.  They all say they are connected to the router, not the satellite, except for 2 devices that are connected to one of the indoor satellites.

I have left the router and the satellite alone, turned on, and connected to each other for 30 minutes and re-tested with same results.

I have tried removing the satellite in Insight but I get the error, "Connected satellite cannot be removed."   I cannot find any similar function in the web interface or the general Orbi app.

I cannot move the satellite back indoors to be next to the router.  The satellite has been professionally mounted on the wall with integrated wiring.  Note though that the signal is 'Good' so distance during sync is not a problem.  I cannot move the router closer to the satellite for similar reasons.

Questions:

- How do I confirm that something is in fact connecting to the outdoor satellite?

- How can I factory reset the satellite, remove it from Insight, and re-add it, noting that Insight doesn't allow me to remove it

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: RBS50Y - Nothing connecting to it

I did a factory reset of all devices, deleted and re-added to Insight, and reconfigured from scratch.  I didn't restore my config in case doing so might corrupt things again.

It is all connecting now.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dir 

Thank you for the detailed explanation of your issues. We need debug logs to analyze further.  Please access RBS50Y via

1. https://<ip address of RBS50Y>/debug.htm

2. Click on start capture.

3. Try to connect the device as you did before ( standing in front of the RBS50Y . Before that do forget the network on your iPhone.

4. Once you know it is connected to Router. Save the debug logs.

Please upload the debug logs onto the google drive and share me link via PM.

We will check and update you.

Raghu

Message 2 of 3
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did a factory reset of all devices, deleted and re-added to Insight, and reconfigured from scratch.  I didn't restore my config in case doing so might corrupt things again.

It is all connecting now.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements