Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Raspberry Pi 3B won't connect to wifi on SXR80

Musicfan145
Aspirant

Raspberry Pi 3B won't connect to wifi on SXR80

I have three different Raspberry Pi Model 3B devices that I cannot get to connect to my Orbi Pro SXR80 Wi-Fi system. They all will connect perfectly with a wired connection. When I scan for SSIDs, they can all see my access point, and I can save the password to them, but they simply won’t connect to the access point with their built-in Wi-Fi radios. In the rare case when they do pull an IP address, they don’t stay connected after rebooting. I have tried flashing multiple different OS’s, including the standard one from RPi foundation. They are within 3 feet of the access point, so signal strength is not an issue. I also have a couple of Raspberry Pi Model 4B devices that all connect to my router just fine using the same OS’s and setup steps, but none of the Model 3B boards will connect. I tried reserving addresses for them in the DHCP settings of the router, but that didn’t seem to help. Firmware is updated on the router. Nothing fancy in the setup of the router; everything is on the same VLAN, only one SSID is turned on. WAN access through AT&T fiber gateway with IP passthrough. 

Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? And how to fix it? Thanks so much for any insight.

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B won't connect to wifi on SXR80

The difference between the 3B and the 4B is the WiFi adapter - the 3B has "just" a 2.4GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n WiFi adapter, while the 3B+ and the 4B have dual band 2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac adapters. A possible idea is to disable the AX feature on the Orbi 2.4 GHz radio as a workaround for the poor/outdated driver 8-)

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B won't connect to wifi on SXR80

Another thing to check is try disabling the WPA3 security and just use wpa2

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements