Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Add reservation error

SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

Add reservation error

Trying to add a reservation for my setup box. I get the following error when clicking apply..

SkywalkerPD_0-1719325238005.png

The reservation itself I selected from the selection list. So it has to be correct.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have this device on the Guest Network? You can't reserve IPs for the Guest Network. Can only reserve IPs on the main LAN under 192.168.1.x

Message 2 of 16
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. The device is not on guest. My whole network is set to 192.168.2.x That is how I set it up. The strange thing is that the reservation is made and it is added to the list.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I know you may not have GN enabled however by default the GN uses 192.168.2.1 as it's default IP address subnet from the main default subnet of 192.168.1.1. Possible that even though GN is not enabled, the system sees this and maybe causing the error seen in the browser. I'd not recommend using .2.x as your main subnet address for the main LAN. Should you later on enable GN, possible this would cause problems. 

Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@SkywalkerPD wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The device is not on guest. My whole network is set to 192.168.2.x That is how I set it up. The strange thing is that the reservation is made and it is added to the list.

While unusual, configuring the primary network to 192.168.2.x would seem to be legitimate.  Would it be convenient to perform a couple of experiments?

• Temporarily enable the Guest network, connect some device to it, and observe the IP address assigned to this device. (Then disable the Guest network again.)
  • Is there a device on the network that can report the network parameters assigned to it by the router?  On Windows, for example, the command ipconfig /all will display these items:
    • IP address
    • Subnet mask
    • Gateway IP address
    • DNS IP address

Normally, the Gateway IP address and DNS IP address are the Orbi router LAN IP address.

The term setup box seems a bit ambiguous. Can you please explain what this device is?

Message 5 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

I did the experiment on an RBR750 with firmware v7.2.6.31

This router is connected to a primary Orbi system, so by default when it detects that IP assigned to the WAN port is in the 192.168.1.x subnet, it creates a LAN IP subnet of 10.0.0.x  (Netgear engineers could have chosen any of the remaining 192.168.??? subnets, but they chose 10.0.0.x.  No idea why.)

When a device is connected to the Guest WiFi network on this router, it is assigned an IP in the 10.0.1.x subnet. This is a similar behavior to when the primary default is 192.168.1.x and the Guest subnet is 192.168.2.x (i.e. "one bigger")

Then changed the primary LAN to 192.168.2.x and connected devices to the Guest WiFi network.  Both were assigned IP's in the 10.0.1.x subnet.  What appears to be the situation is that when the firmware detects that the primary subnet is anywhere in 192.168, it creates Guest as a 10.0.x.x subnet.

Thus, creating the primary IP subnet as 192.168.2.x will simply cause the Guest WiFi subnet to be switched from 192.168 to 10.0 Thus, there would appear to be no conflict between primary and Guest networks.

None of this explains what would cause assigning a device a reserved address in 192.168.2.x would display an error message.

Perhaps more information about the reservation would be helpful.  Was the assignment within the DHCP 'pool' or outside the range of the pool?

Message 6 of 16
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies and testing guys!

So I have the GN enabled

My primary LAN is set to 192.168.2.x With the router having 192.168.2.2 en both sattelites .3 and .4 (by reservation)

I make reservations for my 'known' devices, basically so I know wich device has what IP.

My DHCP range is 20-120 the reservation I make are either below or above this range.

My DNS was configured to 192.18.2.160. That is a Raspberry Pi with Pi-hole running on it that acts as DNS and use Cloudflare DNS as provider.

I changed the DNS setting on the router to 1.1.1.1 and now the error is not displayed anymore. But now I'm not routing my traffic through Pi-hole....

Hope I explain this so you can understand.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Might not be a good idea to use .2.x on the main LAN with GN enabled. GN is a separate network for guest devices that this network is isolated from the main LAN for security reasons. I would recommend changing the main LAN to 192.168.1.1 or something other than .2.x if you have GN enabled. Can only presume this maybe the cause of what your seeing. 

Message 8 of 16
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

Ok.. My main network is now set to 192.168.1.x but now I have the problem that devices keep getting 192.168.2.x addresses assigned bu DHCP?? DHCP settings are set to 192.168.1.x in the settings of the router…
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power OFF of the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON and those devices connecting as well been tried? 

Might disable the GN temporarily while you get the devices to get on the main lan with refreshed IP addresses. 

Message 10 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

What an ordeal, and no closer to an explanation for the original question. (error message on IP reservation)

I found the process of changing the LAN subnet a bit frustrating (on the RBR750) because the web page seemed to be sensitive to which parameter was being changed.  I would think, "got it" and then see that a different entry had changed (or not changed).

Is it correct to assume that, with the primary network subnet changed to 192.168.1.x

• There are no device reservations on the LAN setup table?
  • The system has rebooted?
  • The devices that are showing an IP assignment that is NOT in the 192.168.1.x subnet are connected to the primary network?
    (not the Guest WiFi network)

Message 11 of 16
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

Disabled GN. Powered off everything. Waited for 5 mins then turned on the rbr….

Still getting 192.168.2.x I don’t get it…
Message 12 of 16

My DNS was configured to 192.18.2.160.  That is a Raspberry Pi with Pi-hole running on it that acts as DNS and use Cloudflare DNS as provider.

I changed the DNS setting on the router to 1.1.1.1 and now the error is not displayed anymore.  But now I'm not routing my traffic through Pi-hole....

dare I ask if the pi-hole DHCP server is enabled?

Message 13 of 16
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

I could, if I enabled DHCP on Pi-Hole, but that is turned off...

Message 14 of 16
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

Again thank you for thinking with me.

To answer your questions.

With the primary network changed to 192.168.1.x

The reservations automaticly changed from 192:168.2.x to 192.168.1.x So the list was still there

DHCP scope automaticly change to 192.168.1.x

The system was rebooted

All devices with 192.168.2.x connected to the primary network as I disabled GN.

It looked like there was a 'secret' range still active and I couldn't get rid off it.

At that point I decided to do a compleet factory reset and start over from the start. For now that did the trick and all devices are now getting 192.168.1.x addresses

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series