Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I am unable to connect my replacement RBS850 to my network

I am unable to connect my replacement RBS850 to my network

I am unable to connect my replacement RBS850 to my network.  I have tried all manner of troubleshooting including hardwiring.  In the last case it is added to the network but I cannot get log into the satellite - password is rejected.  

A few things I notice since it is a replacement it is likely to have different FW.  I cannot update FW as I have no laptop (MAC OS) to connect directly.  I suspect it is a FW incompatibility issue as when I try a wireless set up it won't sync and flips to Magenta even if it is in the same room as the router.

I would appreciate any insights.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I am unable to connect my replacement RBS850 to my network

And thats after a factory reset on the RBS and it not connected to anything accpet for the one wired PC? Be sure to clear out all browser caches? Would need to turn OFF the RBR. 

Last resort is to try a 30-30-30 reset on the RBS. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to get a ethernet connected Pc or laptop connected behind the RBS to get the FW updated to same version as what's on the RBR.

Try this to see if this works:
Manual RBS FW update after RBR was updated:
You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The RBS will be 192.168.10.250 for Orbi AX. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and <password>. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites 📡 to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 12

Thanks for your help.  I have tried to connect to the satellite using an ethernet adapter (TP USB-C to Ethernet) on a MacBook Pro. It appears that what is detected is the adapter and not the satellite.  I have not be able to access the satellite via the IP address even though I see a Blue status light when it is hardwired for about 30 seconds.  I have used 192.168.1.250 which is what I think you mean.  I have reset and rebuilt the network, cycled the network etc.  I am sure it is the F/W unfortunately cannot crack how to update the satellite.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try accessing the RBS at 192.168.10.250

Message 4 of 12

Thank you for the coaching; still no success. 

Interestingly what I do see is that the satellite which is a replacement for a failed satellite shows up in the known network list (ORBI75).  The actual network is ORBI92.  

I cannot access it; I assume as it is not connected to actual network.  It is hardwired into the Mac Laptop.
I am very thankful for the advice you have provided so far.

neomatrixwood_0-1708279250509.png

Firmware: V7.2.6.21_5.0.20

MAC O/S: Sonoma 14.2.1

@FURRYe38 

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Your new RBS850 default Local network (LAN) configuration is this:

LAN IP 192.168.1.250
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

In absence of a DHCP server on the wired network (currently consisting of the Mac and the RBS850 with a direct connection) a Mac does tend to use ZeroConf IP addresses.

Temporary configure the Ethernet adapter to a fixed IP address, for example 192.168.1.234 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - in case the system insists for defining a default gateway and/or a DNS server address make it 192.168.1.1. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-dhcp-or-a-manual-ip-address-on-mac-mchlp2718/mac

Now you are able to reach the new RBS850 on it's default LAN IP, like http://192.168.1.250/ or https://192.168.1.250/ 

The default user name is admin. The default password is either password, the password printed on the label, or the password configured at the first login. 

This should allow to upload the same firmware version you already have on your Orbi Router and the other (predefined) satellites. The process is described in https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBK852_UM_EN.pdf chapter "Manually update satellite firmware " starting from p. 94 ff.

Once the new satellite does hold the same firmware like your existing Orbi router (and other satellites) https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBK852_UM_EN.pdf chapter "Sync your Orbi satellite with your Orbi router" starting from p.14.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS for AX and AXE series have a self service web page at 192.168.10.250. Given enough time after a RBS is reset and NOT connected to any thing, this self service web page can be access at the afore mentioned IP address if a ethernet connected PC is connected behind the RBS. Might need to set a statis IP address on the PC of 192.168.10.49/255.255.255.0 to help with this. Usually 5 minutes is needed before the self service RBS web page should be accessible. 

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Perfect @FURRYe38 ... learning something new every day here, thank you! Found your prevous post here on the similar topic - looks much easier than what old network crowds would try.

Message 8 of 12

Once again thanks for the helpful responses.  

I am hitting a brick wall so to speak.

I can ping the satellite via terminal.

neomatrixwood_0-1708352105823.png

When I try to access 192.168.10.250, even after 5-10 minutes of wait time

I get 

neomatrixwood_1-1708352939990.png

A screenshot for good measure.  I have checked the firewall etc.  

@FURRYe38 @schumaku 

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

And thats after a factory reset on the RBS and it not connected to anything accpet for the one wired PC? Be sure to clear out all browser caches? Would need to turn OFF the RBR. 

Last resort is to try a 30-30-30 reset on the RBS. 

Message 10 of 12

@FURRYe38 @schumaku 

Success!

1- Make sure all WIFI systems are off.

2- In the end I connected to 192.168.1.250 (not 10.250) perhaps accidentally

3- Firmware is now in line with rest of system.

Thank you for helping me through this!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series