Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent wired connection from RBR750 router to my laptop. What's up?

MDK74
Aspirant

Intermittent wired connection from RBR750 router to my laptop. What's up?

I am hardwired to my Orbi (RBR750) router and get intermittent internet connection. It's hard to tell if the same problem occurs on the wifi. I think so.

I've rebooted the modem and router multiple times. I've done tests with the ISP (Spectrum). No luck.

When it works, the speed tests say 300+ Mbps down and 11 Mbps up. That would be good for our location. When it doesn't work, cached pages don't open until the 2n'd or 3rd try. Mid-use, pages freeze, then come back to life.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
MDK74
Aspirant

The Spectrum tech came this afternoon. H found a nick in the line outside. Fixed it.

So far, things seem to be working well. Pages are opening faster than they have in months. Hopefully, it'll stick.

Thanks all for your effort and suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the router? 

And on the satellites? 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

What wireless card is in your laptop? 

What driver is installed on the laptop? 

If you're on windows, what windows version is it? (my windows preview version has issues connecting right away as well)

Message 2 of 8
MDK74
Aspirant

Firmware: Orbi says it's current at V4.6.9.11_2.3.5

Same on satellites: V4.6.9.11

Modem/Gateway connection: Spectrum supplied modem. Not sure of the model #.

Wireless card on laptop: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

Wireless driver updated: Yes

Windows version: 11 Pro 22H2

FYI: Spectrum is coming out this afternoon to check their end of things. We'll see how that goes.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Do any other devices on the network exhibit the same behavior?

Does this happen "right in the middle" of using the laptop, or does it happen after waking the laptop, such as opening the cover or waking it from sleep mode?

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd echo what @CrimpOn says, any other device on the network doing the same? 

Like I said, I noticed my Win 11 device with a AX210 having similar behavior for a while with one of the preview versions. 

But my other device not on preview (same wireless card) didn't have an issue. 

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

My situation is different (old RBR50 router. Windows 10 laptop.)  The question was because of an annoying feature of my Lenovo laptop over a year ago (maybe two years?)  Wired directly to a router LAN port, when I would open the cover to wake the laptop, the network icon in the bottom right would remain a globe (or whatever that symbol is) indicating "no internet".  Running the Windows Trouble Shooter would fix it. Changing to WiFi and then back to wired would fix it. Disabling the enabling the wired adapter would fix it.

Finally I captured the actual Ethernet packets between the laptop and the router.  There was a clear pattern:

• When the lid was opened, the laptop would wake up and send a correct DHCP request.
  • The router would respond with a correct DHCP assignment.
  • The lapto would send the same DHCP request again.
  • The router would respond with the same correct DHCP assignment.
  • And this pattern would go on, and on, and on, and on.

Then, one day there was a software update on the laptop, and the problem simply disappeared.  So, if specific actions trigger this situation, there might be an issue with the laptop.

On the other hand, there was a post (just yesterday?) about a similar issue where the ISP replaced the cable drop and a similar problem disappeared. (and now I cannot find that post. sorry)

Message 6 of 8
MDK74
Aspirant

The Spectrum tech came this afternoon. H found a nick in the line outside. Fixed it.

So far, things seem to be working well. Pages are opening faster than they have in months. Hopefully, it'll stick.

Thanks all for your effort and suggestions.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7