Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the speed test shows incorrect results.

Download Link:

RBR750: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBR750-V4.6.3.16.zip

RBS750: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBS750-V4.6.3.16.zip

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE: After the FW files are loaded and the RBS and RBR are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON. Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

This article applies to:

RBK752
RBK753
RBK753S
RBK754
RBR750
RBS750

Let us know how it works for you. 

Message 1 of 306
Stephonline
Guide

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

My experience with the V 16 upgrade is mixed and hard to understand.

As suggested, I powered off all my devices and let the nighthawk docsis modem sync up, and then repowered my main router, let it sync, then repowered the satellite.

I did not do a factory reset which the Netgear admin said was ok.

For about 10 hours, everything was great. Download speeds as measured by the Orbi app were back to 900 mb. Thruput - both wired and wireless was excellent: 600 on wired connections and 400-500 mb on wireless.

Suddenly the wireless thruput as measured on the speed test dropped to 10 - 20 mb. The hardwired speed test had not changed. The Orbi app still reported download for ~800/850 mb but there was just a trickle of data being pumped out of the system.

I have several wired devices (an Apple 4k streamer) connected to the satellite. They were stuttering and buffering all over the place.

I checked the modem and the connection, SNR, and power levels were all nominal. I do not think it was a provider issue.

I repowered the base station and the satellite - let everything sync up and now I'm back to 400 - 500 mb wireless.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Last point: this was the behavior that the migration to version 4x initiated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Stephonline wrote:
My experience with the V 16 upgrade is mixed and hard to understand.

As suggested, I powered off all my devices and let the nighthawk docsis modem sync up, and then repowered my main router, let it sync, then repowered the satellite.

I did not do a factory reset which the Netgear admin said was ok.

For about 10 hours, everything was great. Download speeds as measured by the Orbi app were back to 900 mb. Thruput - both wired and wireless was excellent: 600 on wired connections and 400-500 mb on wireless.

Suddenly the wireless thruput as measured on the speed test dropped to 10 - 20 mb. The hardwired speed test had not changed. The Orbi app still reported download for ~800/850 mb but there was just a trickle of data being pumped out of the system.

I have several wired devices (an Apple 4k streamer) connected to the satellite. They were stuttering and buffering all over the place.

I checked the modem and the connection, SNR, and power levels were all nominal. I do not think it was a provider issue.

I repowered the base station and the satellite - let everything sync up and now I'm back to 400 - 500 mb wireless.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Last point: this was the behavior that the migration to version 4x initiated.

Message 3 of 306
jamacphoto
Apprentice

As the previous user posted that is the similar experience I am getting as well
Message 4 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Also might try testing with AX mode disabled on the RBR and see if this changes anything. 

@jamacphoto wrote:
As the previous user posted that is the similar experience I am getting as well

Message 5 of 306
Mastra11
Apprentice

A strange problem happened to me earlier. the rbk753 system me updated by itself tonight to version 4.6.3.16_2.0.51 and this thing that updates automatically and there is not even a way to disable automatic updates I don't like it at all! I haven't restarted the system yet because I didn't have time today and if I can I restart it tomorrow. Returning to the first problem all of a sudden the internet was no longer working or was going at times. My ISP's modem was fully functional and connected to the network. Entering the page of the router orbi it showed me the internet BOX in red with the voice disconnected and not GOOD as usual. I then restarted my ISP modem and the internet started working again and the internet box on the orbi router page now indicates good. Before with version 4.6.4.7 it never gave me this problem! If I can I restart the router and orbi satellites tomorrow. Has anyone had the same problem? Thank you.
Message 6 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the ISP Modem, RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON. Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

@Mastra11 wrote:
A strange problem happened to me earlier. the rbk753 system me updated by itself tonight to version 4.6.3.16_2.0.51 and this thing that updates automatically and there is not even a way to disable automatic updates I don't like it at all! I haven't restarted the system yet because I didn't have time today and if I can I restart it tomorrow. Returning to the first problem all of a sudden the internet was no longer working or was going at times. My ISP's modem was fully functional and connected to the network. Entering the page of the router orbi it showed me the internet BOX in red with the voice disconnected and not GOOD as usual. I then restarted my ISP modem and the internet started working again and the internet box on the orbi router page now indicates good. Before with version 4.6.4.7 it never gave me this problem! If I can I restart the router and orbi satellites tomorrow. Has anyone had the same problem? Thank you.

Message 7 of 306
Donsuper
Star

It’s not fixing the satellite randomly drop signal problem yet, seen Netgear still don’t know it’s firmware related or not, in my opinion, just give us a way to downgrade back to 3.x.x firmware and disable the auto update, and we will know it’s a firmware problem or not…..
Message 8 of 306
Mastra11
Apprentice

Now I have only restarted my ISP modem because there are people who are working from home and I need the network. Tomorrow if I can restart the router and the two satellites thanks for the reply.
Message 9 of 306
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

I have RBK752 and FiOS 300/300 U/D Mbps. Before updating from 4.6.3.7, I see 340/300 from Ookla speed test built into the router, but am seeing 120/200 from a Chrome browser (and speedtest.net - Ookla) on a M1 MacBook Pro (WiFi-6) and even worst from the Guest network. The Guest network acts as if it is pausing randomly, like a DNS issue.

After updating to 4.6.3.16 and fatory reset, I'm seeing the same behavior...  Anybody else have these issues?

Message 10 of 306
crawrj
Guide

For anyone wondering this is the same as the beta version. There aren't any changes.

Message 11 of 306
Akoi
Tutor

My satellites seem to be endlessly acting like they are rebooting (white blinking light, then solid blue, then no light... then white blinking light, then solid blue, then no light) I tried reseting them with the buttons on the back... did the factory reset on the router after the update but yeah this isnt looking stable at all for me and my wifi keeps dropping the internet. (my device is in AP mode because of how unreliable it has been for me)

Anyone else experiencing this? 

Message 12 of 306
crawrj
Guide

I don't think there is any question that it is firmware. Everything worked prior to the update then it broke. Hmmm........... Smiley LOL

@Donsuper wrote:
It’s not fixing the satellite randomly drop signal problem yet, seen Netgear still don’t know it’s firmware related or not, in my opinion, just give us a way to downgrade back to 3.x.x firmware and disable the auto update, and we will know it’s a firmware problem or not…..

Message 13 of 306
Gtjacket
Tutor

Long time follower of the 4.6.3.7 thread and unfortunately now having to move to the 4.6.3.16 thread.  Long story short, issue introduced in 4.6.3.7 has now gotten worse with 4.6.3.16.  

When I got upgraded to 4.6.3.7 one of my satellites had frequent cycles of green light for some time and then blue light for over a minute.  It would stay stable for a period of time and then go back to the green light then blue light cycle.  I moved that sattelite to a different location to test if backhaul quality improvement made a difference and it seemed like the frequency got better but issue was still present.

Now that I have been upgraded to 4.6.3.16 the issue now appears on BOTH sattelites and the one that is just now exhibiting it does it very frequently.  Overall, it doesn't seem to be impacting traffic at this time but clearly something is going on.  Interesting note is I get a period of several hours with no issues after a full power down but once it starts it is very frequent.

Message 14 of 306
bensanford
Guide

Previously I was having problems with the guest network.  When it was enabled, the main network wasn't working properly, and once I disabled the guest network the main network was fine.  I upgraded to the new firmware yesterday, and then did a complete "factory reset."  System seems to be working properly, but FIOS download speeds are about half of what I have been measuring (both wired and WIFi connections).  I haven't re-enabled the guest network.  Maybe I'll try later.  I previously went through the steps to reserve IP addresses for everything on my network, and that seemed to have make the system more stable.

Message 15 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the ISP Modem, RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON. Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

@Akoi wrote:

My satellites seem to be endlessly acting like they are rebooting (white blinking light, then solid blue, then no light... then white blinking light, then solid blue, then no light) I tried reseting them with the buttons on the back... did the factory reset on the router after the update but yeah this isnt looking stable at all for me and my wifi keeps dropping the internet. (my device is in AP mode because of how unreliable it has been for me)

Anyone else experiencing this? 

Message 16 of 306

New firmware is very unable for me and has not solved the issue of satellite stability introduced with the new v4 firmware.

Satellite goes through a flashing white light, to solid blue light cycle periodically.

The issue is much worse when I have any LAN devices attached to the satellite. Running devices over Ethernet can almost get the satellite to cycle on demand.

This is very poor from Netgear… it’s been weeks now. Fixes might take a while, I get that, but not allowing a path to downgrade is terrible customer service. And why not I wonder… nothing to do with the new revenue stream from parental controls I am sure…
Message 17 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

What your system auto updated or did you manualy load FW files? 

Power OFF the ISP Modem, RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON. Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet been done yet? 

Last resort would be a full factory reset.

@MaleHumanUK wrote:
New firmware is very unable for me and has not solved the issue of satellite stability introduced with the new v4 firmware.

Satellite goes through a flashing white light, to solid blue light cycle periodically.

The issue is much worse when I have any LAN devices attached to the satellite. Running devices over Ethernet can almost get the satellite to cycle on demand.

This is very poor from Netgear… it’s been weeks now. Fixes might take a while, I get that, but not allowing a path to downgrade is terrible customer service. And why not I wonder… nothing to do with the new revenue stream from parental controls I am sure…

Message 18 of 306

Full factory reset has been done.

The issue is the firmware - no amount of resetting is going to fix this for anyone.
Message 19 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make contact with NG support and let them know what your seeing. 

Powering OFF differs from resetting. 

@MaleHumanUK wrote:
Full factory reset has been done.

The issue is the firmware - no amount of resetting is going to fix this for anyone.

Message 20 of 306
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Power OFF the ISP Modem, RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON. Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet been done yet? 

Not picking on @FURRYe38.. The need to shut everything down, unplug, reset, surely suggests a major flaw in NG's approach to pushing updates if it turns out to fix (any) issues... 

Message 21 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

@orbiuser1975 Understand man. I agree about resets and power cycles. Should not be needed. However from personal experiences and seeing what others have posted about, these are just last resort steps that we can try. After that, users need to contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. Not much else we can do here in the forums. NG support needs to take over. I have reached out as well. 

@orbiuser1975 wrote:
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not picking on @FURRYe38.. The need to shut everything down, unplug, reset, surely suggests a major flaw in NG's approach to pushing updates if it turns out to fix (any) issues... 

Message 22 of 306
Stephonline
Guide

In brief:  

the apartment is 1300 sq feet; router and satellite are on different floors:   at least 50 feet away

The modem is a Netgear CM1150V which I provided.

5ghz channel is set on 48 because the baby spectrum analyzer showed none of my neighbors using the channel.    2.4ghz is on channel 1 for the same reason.

Will turn off co-existence and bump clear to send from default value up to 500.  Don't want to take it to 2347 because I do emails while I'm streaming.

thanks for the idea.  I will do a factory reset, resync the base and the satellite and apply the settings.    

again I'm getting 755/800 mbs consistently UNTIL I'm not.  very strange.

thanks for the suggestions and will report back.

Message 23 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok keep us post.

2347 would not effect emails. This is only a beacon value for the wifi connections between the system and wifi devices. Does not effect email apps or systems. 

Message 24 of 306
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

In the other threads I reported that on 9/14 NG finally gave me access to the beta FW, the same day many were reporting that 4.6.3.16 had become available. NG pushed the update onto my RBK753 before I had a chance to manually install the beta (which is apparently the same as 4.6.3.16)

One satellite was reporting on the web page that is was out of sync although there were some devices attached and working. Even though the other satellite was reporting good, there were no devices connected to it, same behavior demonstrated when the last update was pushed.

I powered off the router, satellites, modem and every connected device was turned off or wifi disabled. I powered back on in modem-router-satellite1-satellite2 sequence. Each device was not powered on until the previous device was fully online. Then wifi was re-enabled for each device.

So far, everything is connected and stable for about 3 hours. Most devices are connected to the most likely device although there are 2 devices reporting that they are connected to the furthest node (both are 2.4ghz devices so this doesn't seem logical because 2.4 is set for 50% power and the connections are 75+ feet and multiple walls in between).

I do AX mode is disabled, guest network is disabled, 20/40 coexistence is enable. I'll give this a few days before seeing if AX mode works and guest network will work. I've never had AX mode enabled even on the 3x FW but guest was another casualty of the 4x update.

Question, will AX mode make the backhaul channel run on Wifi 6?

Message 25 of 306
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7