Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

New Features: 12/05/2022

  • [Asia SKU only] Supports the Japan IPv6 plus feature.
  • [Asia SKU only] Supports the HK PCCW IPTV feature.

     

Security Fixes:

  • Addresses security vulnerabilities.

No other information beyond this about this version of FW. 

 

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBKE962.aspx#download

 

NOTE: URL Links on the main download page for the RELEASE Notes are broke and not working. Release notes are included in the .zip files for review. We've made NG aware of this. The Download button links are working however. 

 

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documenta...

 

NOTE: Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. I recommend doing a full on factory reset after the FW loads, system is back to ready and a power OFF for 1 minute then back ON has been performed. Use a wired PC and web browser for this. Load the FW on to each RBS web page using the RBS web page, not thru the RBRs web page. Then load the FW lastly on the RBRs web page. Walk thru the setup wizard. You can manually setup the system as well for those who are more experienced with this.

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

 

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200

 

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

 

NOTE: The Disable Auto Update feature only prevents ANY new FW from being installed if available. This does NOT prevent the system from checking NG services to see if new FW is available. If new FW is available, this will be displayed as a notification to the user on the RBRs web page only. It will be up to the user to upgrade FW or not.

 

This article applies to:

 

Let us know how it works for you in this thread...

Message 1 of 62
brianld
Apprentice

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Was able to update manually just fine this morning.  Updated RBRE960 first, followed by my two RBSE960s.  No issues or changes noticed so far.

Message 2 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Warning, please always update the RBS FIRST then the RBR lastly. Failure to do it this way could cause connection or sync problems with the RBS. 


@brianld wrote:

Was able to update manually just fine this morning.  Updated RBRE960 first, followed by my two RBSE960s.  No issues or changes noticed so far.


 

Message 3 of 62
Mjh2157
Tutor

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

On the firmware download page, the release notes link is for an RBK653 with different firmware version: 

Mjh2157_0-1670349124676.png

Hoping to get the correct relase notes before I download.  Maybe a Netgear expert will see this and correct it.  The satelite release notes hyperlink lead to an error page as well.

 

Message 4 of 62
brianld
Apprentice

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Good to know, will take that advice next time.  I'd been doing it other way around, thankfully no issues.

Message 5 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Scary. 😬


@brianld wrote:

Good to know, will take that advice next time.  I'd been doing it other way around, thankfully no issues.


 

Message 6 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

We've already notified NG of this. 

The working correct links are at the beginning post in this thread. Release notes are with in the .zip files that get downloaded.

 

Thank you.


@Mjh2157 wrote:

On the firmware download page, the release notes link is for an RBK653 with different firmware version: 

Mjh2157_0-1670349124676.png

Hoping to get the correct relase notes before I download.  Maybe a Netgear expert will see this and correct it.  The satelite release notes hyperlink lead to an error page as well.

 



 

Message 7 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

NG download page for download links to RELEASE NOTES are now fixed. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBKE962.aspx#download

Message 8 of 62
Mjh2157
Tutor

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

I normally update the router first then the satelites.  This time I followed the directions and did the satelites first.  According to the router the three satelites are "backhaul status: disconnected", logging into the satelites they each show as connected but my wired backhauls are showing as wirelessly connected now, and according to the orbi app none of the satelites are connected.  What would the next step be?

 

My setup is as follows:

 

Router connected cat8 from the 2.5g port to my M4300 switch, then from the switch I have a 2.5g link over cat 8 to each of my satelites.  This setup and all the regular firmware updates have always worked fine for me until this new firmware update.

 

I tried rebooting the router from the login page.

 

I tried rebooting my switch from the login page.

 

I never disconnected any of my ethernet cabling.

 

I also notice all my naming of satelites has disappeared.  For example basement, is now back to Satelite 1 and so on.

 

Any advice is apperciated.  Getting my wired backhaul back would be priority to me.

 

Best Regards,

Matt

Message 9 of 62
Mjh2157
Tutor

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Further update:

 

Rebooted the router for the 3rd time and now my wired backhauls have returned and the naming of my satelites has returned according to the router and the app.   Logging into the satelites they still show a wireless backhaul.   Not sure what's up.

 

I've definitely had better results updating the router first and the satelites after with the other firmware updates.  This is the only one I did the satelites first with.

Message 10 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Is the CAT# cable STP or UTP cabling? 


Ya, it's a risk updating the RBR first FW then the RBS. If there is many changes in the newer FW from the older one thats loaded, the RBS may not sync or connect properly if the RBR is loaded first. Why RBS needs to be loaded FIRST then RBR lastly to be sure the RBS get reconnected. 

 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the router, satellites and switch been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router, satellites, switches and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router, satellites, switch and wait 5 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

 

 

Message 11 of 62
Mjh2157
Tutor

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Hi,

 

Thank you for getting back to me:

 

I have Cat 8 Shielded - 40G- 22AWG, 2000MHZ, S/FTP Shielded, Riser Rated.

 

I did update the satelites first then the router with this update.

 

I have not powered down any devices.  I need to leave it running for now because my wife is working, but I will do the power cycling tonight as you advised following the steps and will report back.

 

Thanks again,

Matt

Message 12 of 62
Mjh2157
Tutor

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Hi,

 

So I did the power down procedure as you wrote it.

 

I think I am working correctly with an ethernet backhaul.  Here are screenshots from the router log in, orbi app, and satelite log in.  The satelite log in shows grey signal bars instead of a solid line between the router and satelite which seems to me should be a solid line. Hopefully it is just a weird graphic.  Please let me know what you think.

 

app.jpgSatelite log in .jpgScreenshot Router Login .jpg

Message 13 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Yes it's working. When the RBS are ethernet connected, that wifi icon seen on the RBS web page will be grayed out. Means it's connected via ethernet wire. When the RBS is wirelessly connected, then that wifi icon will be active and not grayed out. 

Message 14 of 62
Mjh2157
Tutor

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Thank you

Message 15 of 62
brianld
Apprentice

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

@FURRYe38 what is the best process to provide feedback to Netgear on issues with firmware?  Seems there was a small regression on this newest version.  Statistics for the 6Ghz are back to showing as 0 across the board.  I had seen this before in a previous version, but it had been working in v6.3.7.5.

 

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 12.05.22 PM.png

Message 16 of 62
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Hi @Mjh2157

 

Thank you bringing this up. This has been brought up already to the concerned team. 

 

Here's the Release Notes

 

New Features:

  • [Asia SKU only] Supports the Japan IPv6 plus feature.
  • [Asia SKU only] Supports the HK PCCW IPTV feature.

Security Fixes:

  • Addresss security vulnerabilities.

You may also check this Community Thread: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBRE960-RBSE960-Firmware-Version...
 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 17 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

What browser are you using?

 

What process did you use to update the FW on the system?

Did you power cycle the system OFF and back ON after new FW as loaded?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

Do you have the 6Ghz separate SSID enabled?

Do you have 6ghz devices connected currently? 

 

There is a reason why these FW post are here...


@brianld wrote:

@FURRYe38 what is the best process to provide feedback to Netgear on issues with firmware?  Seems there was a small regression on this newest version.  Statistics for the 6Ghz are back to showing as 0 across the board.  I had seen this before in a previous version, but it had been working in v6.3.7.5.

 

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 12.05.22 PM.png


 

Message 18 of 62
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

@brianld @FURRYe38 

 

My 6GHz band is showing activity as expected.

 

Screenshot (30).png

Message 19 of 62
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

@brianld 

 

 

I've seen in the past that sometimes the PC with the 6GHz card will still prefer to connect to the 5GHz channel.  I think it has to do with how the bands are brought online.  I usually see 2.4GHz, then 5GHz, then 6GHz.  If it successfully connnects before the 6GHz SSID is completely up, then it may retain that connection.

 

I can usually solve that by forgetting the connection on the PC, then reconnecting and it will reconnect to the 6GHz.

Message 20 of 62
brianld
Apprentice

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released


@FURRYe38 wrote:

What browser are you using?

 

What process did you use to update the FW on the system?

Did you power cycle the system OFF and back ON after new FW as loaded?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

Do you have the 6Ghz separate SSID enabled?

Do you have 6ghz devices connected currently? 

 

There is a reason why these FW post are here...


@brianld wrote:

@FURRYe38 what is the best process to provide feedback to Netgear on issues with firmware?  Seems there was a small regression on this newest version.  Statistics for the 6Ghz are back to showing as 0 across the board.  I had seen this before in a previous version, but it had been working in v6.3.7.5.

 

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 12.05.22 PM.png


 


I generally use Chrome, not sure how that would affect statistics reporting. I’ll try powering everything off/on as I haven’t done that. Using same SSID for all bands. I definitely have 6ghz clients, and using that band, as Speedtest ran from the client shows them pulling down 1.6 - 1.8 Gbps. 

I will probably hold off on a full on reset, as it’s not a big enough issue to me at the moment. 

Message 21 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

Do you have the separate 6Ghz SSID radio enabled? If not, you might enable it with a different SSID name temporarily and see if this populates this section.

 

What this page look like in a different browser? 


@brianld wrote:


I generally use Chrome, not sure how that would affect statistics reporting. I’ll try powering everything off/on as I haven’t done that. Using same SSID for all bands. I definitely have 6ghz clients, and using that band, as Speedtest ran from the client shows them pulling down 1.6 - 1.8 Gbps. 

I will probably hold off on a full on reset, as it’s not a big enough issue to me at the moment. 


 

Message 22 of 62
brianld
Apprentice

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do you have the separate 6Ghz SSID radio enabled? If not, you might enable it with a different SSID name temporarily and see if this populates this section.

 

What this page look like in a different browser? 



Funny enough, I just went in this morning and checked again, and now it's populating for 6Ghz.  Not sure if it was temporarily not reporting for that band, if there is a lag, or what.  Checked using a couple of browsers BTW, and metrics are same in both browsers as I'd expect.

 

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 7.03.20 AM.png

Message 23 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

I see uptime is 19+ hours, has there been any reboots at this time frame? 

Message 24 of 62
pkgadd
Apprentice

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version v6.3.7.10 Released

The previously reported "500 Internal Server Error" when accessing the webinterface from a(n externally defined) DNS name remains in this version (I need to access it by its IP, which works).

Message 25 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 61 replies
  • 5197 views
  • 20 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7