Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

One device does not have internet when connected to RBS860 satellites

rgkruse
Tutor

One device does not have internet when connected to RBS860 satellites

I recently setup a NETGEAR Orbi RBR860 with two RBS860 Satellites. All devices except for one works great on the system and flawlessly transitions between router and satellites. Satellites are within 30 feet of router.

When my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop connects to the router there are no issues. When it connects to the Satellites, I get a "No Internet, secured" error. I have the most recent firmware on all devices, I've cycled everything off and on, I reinstalled my WiFi network driver, I've removed all ethernet connections to other devices, I've switched to 2.4 only and 5.0 only networks, I've selected specific channels and nothing has allowed my computer to have internet on the satellites.   

Interestingly, the problem laptop shows up as a "network" device while my working laptop shows up as a "laptop"

rgkruse_1-1705381651438.png

I'm at a loss on what to do next, any advice? THANK YOU!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
rgkruse
Tutor

Re: One device does not have internet when connected to RBS860 satellites

SOLVED! It was an Orbi settings setup error... When trying to get Orbi to talk to Starlink, (spoiler - you need an Uncontrolled Switch) I selected "Use Computer MAC Address" for "Router MAC Address". The computer was fine when connected to the router, but failed when connected to the satellites. I realized I forgot to set it back to "Use Default Address" and once I did, problem solved. Thank you for your help, @CrimpOn.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This error appears to be common enough on Windows 10 for a search on "No internet, secured" to turn up LOTS of hits.  and it seems as if you may have tried a number of the suggested solutions already.

The router has software that compares the hardware MAC address of the network interface (Ethernet or WiFi) against a table of Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI) codes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizationally_unique_identifier 

There are web sites that do this, such as:

https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html  

My guess is that when the router attempted to look up the OUI code for the Lenovo laptop, it did not come up with a match to Lenovo.  (Maybe the WiFi card was not built by Lenovo?)

Can you check to see if this laptop has the WiFi feature to randomize the MAC address for WiFi connections?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-use-random-hardware-addresses-in-windows-ac58de34... 

Message 2 of 5
rgkruse
Tutor

This explanation is extremely helpful, thank you! The MAC address through "ipconfig /all" matches the one shown on the Orbi device list. Also, my WiFi settings does have the ability to randomize addresses, but the feature is not turned on (generally or for my specific network). 

Good call on just exploring more into the "No internet, secured" error. My WiFi adapter is an Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz (OUI returns "B0:60:88 Intel Corporate") and I think I'll look into specific issues with this adapter next. Thank you for your help!

Message 3 of 5
rgkruse
Tutor

SOLVED! It was an Orbi settings setup error... When trying to get Orbi to talk to Starlink, (spoiler - you need an Uncontrolled Switch) I selected "Use Computer MAC Address" for "Router MAC Address". The computer was fine when connected to the router, but failed when connected to the satellites. I realized I forgot to set it back to "Use Default Address" and once I did, problem solved. Thank you for your help, @CrimpOn.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7