Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK 850 series setup issues

wh1tby
Aspirant

Orbi RBK 850 series setup issues

I am trying to install an RBK 853 (850 router with 2 satellites) with the latest firmware to replace an aging and now deprecated Apple Airport Extreme system (consists of an Airport Time Capsule as a router and an Airport Time Capsule and and Airport Extreme as extenders) that has worked very reliably for many years and covers my 3,550 sq ft, 2 story house well). The modem, which is configured in Bridge mode is an Arrris DG1670 with Spectrum as the ISP. I was replacing the Apple system since Apple no longer manufacture these devices and I wanted a newer system that was likely to be maintainable for more years. My connection is 500 Mb/s, we cannot get gigabit connections here on the outskirts of Austin!

I have 3 issues that have caused me to uninstall the Orbi system and go back to my Apple system which continues to work well.

1. Following Netgear's instructions I connected up the router and satellites and connected to and configured them via the iOS app running on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. It allowed to me configure a new router password for admin (which it then asked me to allow face id, and configure 2 seciruty questions) and then reset the SSID and Password for the network to the ones used by the old system. All the 42 connected devices connected correctly. I exited the app, and tested access to the network. All seemed well until I went back to the iOS app and discovered it would not let me log in using the previously configured router password. I was locked out of the app. I reset the router and started again. The process repeated. I could configure and set up the system but never get back in again. I tried it 3 more times, each time carefully verifying the process.

2. I then decided to use browser access via a direct ethernet connection to the router. It would allow me access to the system for configuration purposes, but the second time I loggesd in it would ask me to enter the router serial number since it said I was requesting a password reset. I could never get past this point, since I would try and enter a new password etc. and it would never allow me back in, it always requested a password reset (the first time it said my password was not secure, but I clicked the option to skip this, but that worked the first time but never again). I reset the router and went through the process 4 times. I could never log back into the router after setting up the system. It always rejected the log in I had setup for the router and went into a dialog for requesting a password reset for the router.

3. I decided to leave ths system working per the first time setup and try to resolve the access problems for setup and configuration until later since it appeared to work (I wanted to change the router LAN address and DHCP address range, but never got to that point). Signal was good in the house and I was pleased with coverage and speed. It worked for 3 hours and then disconnected from the internet. Since I could not log into the router I could not determine the issue and then the wifi vanished as well. I could not connect via a direct ethernet connectiong to the router, the previously configured password did not work and I was put into the reset password request loop.  I reset the system and reconfigured using the iOS app and got it running. I could not get back in using the iOS app after setup, but the system ran and it again disconnected from the internet after around 2 hours and then shortly afterward the wifi vanished. I repeated the process once more and then removed the router and satellites and connected the Apple equipment back which has since run flawlessly for 48 hours.

Note: My network is a mixture of Apple, PCs, Amazon devices and printers. Using an Apple MacOS system or a PC with Windows 10 Pro made no difference to the browser experience. I do not have an Android phone, all of my phones are iPhones.

Questions:

1. What was I doing incorrectly? I consulted forums and tried a number of work arounds (I am an experienced computer systems engineer, but not a network expert), including changing the option to save credentials on the app.

2. Has anyone else had these problems, if so how did you resolve them?

3. It sounds as if the equipment is faulty but the software seems to have a signficant bug that makes it unusable (A friend with an older systems says he has never been able to get the iOS app to work, but I assumed that would be fixed by now, since this was a couple of years ago).

Any hints comments might be helpful, meanwhile the Orbi is in a box waiting to be shipped back to Amazon and my old, now deprecated, Apple Airport system continues to chug along as if nothing had happened.

I will give it 48 hours to see if anyone has ideas, otherwise I will give up and return the equipment and find another solution. I must admit I have never had such a complete and utter failure with a new system that basically does not appear to work in any way shape or form. BTW Netgear support is non existent.No response, help or anything.

Thanks for your understanding and hope some one has ideas.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I would do the following, wire connect a PC or laptop and use a web browser, IE11, MS Edge, FireFox or Opera. Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

Walk thru the setup wizard found at 192.168.1.1...You should be able to complete the wizard and get to the main home screen on the Basic Tab. I would not enable Armor. Go in and set up the router for your IP addressing needs here as well if you want to. Be sure to give and configure a new wifi SSID name. Can be most anything. Something fun and unique. Smiley Wink

After it's setup save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

See how the system works for this configuration. At a later point, if you want Armor and other features enabled, enable them and then save off another backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Then you'll have a couple of backups to use should something go wrong. 

After the system is setup. The iphone and Orbi app should connect to it and work well. If it doesn't, try to remove the Orbi app then re-install it from the Apple store. 

Be sure to visit the Orbi AX forum for your FW and HW help and supporting information as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 7
wh1tby
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

House size and ISP modem type were in my original posting. Satellite detection was not an issue and they wer all detected and configured correctly by either the iOS or browser set up process. One is 15' from the router and the other is around 35' to 45' away on the next floor. There never seemed to be a problem with finding and connecting to the satellites during the setup process. Backhaul signal strength was excellent for both satellites.

1. Browser access: I used Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari all with the same result (I do not use IE or Opera). Used either direct via ethernet port on the router or via wifi. Used either Apple MacOS systems or MS Surface Laptop 3 for connection. Did not make a difference.

2.I had already tried logging in using 192.168.1.1 (the default router IP address on the LAN) and using the orbilogin.com suggested in the instructions.

3. I tried using the iOS app and browser log in to configure the system from scratch. I could always configure and set up the system but could never log in again after that as per my original post. Setup would work fine from factory default or after a reset, but thereafter I could never login again either via the browser or iOS app.

4. Reset as per my original email was achieved by inserting a paper clip into the reset and holding for 30 to 40 seconds (instructions say until LED on the rear turns amber). The router always returned to default configuration for wifi access and configuration.

5. I deleted and reinstalled the iOS app 3 times, with no change in result. I could configure the system from reset or factory default but then could never get access again.

6. SSID and password were set to the old one used on previous system so I could allow all 42 internet devices to connect without having to reconnect each one to a new wifi network with a new SSID.  I did try it with another random name (albeit without connecting any of my existing wifi connected devices), but I still had the same issue with login after configuration, and the internet connection and wifi would dissappear as per my original email.

7. I discovered your link to saving config files which helped a little but ulitmately made no difference to the fundamental issue.

8. Thanks for the link, and I tried a number of ideas that seemed to have no effect on the ultimate outcome.

Bottom line is that I can configure and set it up, but I can never access the router again and the internet connection and wifi would dissappear after 2 to 3 hours of operation.

Again I much appreciate the suggestions and attempt to help me with my dilemma.

Message 3 of 7
wh1tby
Aspirant

Hi, 

I tried replying yesterday but apparently it did no post, so will try and repeat my response.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and the many suggestions.

Some of the questions you asked were already answered in my post, but in general I tried your approach and references and I still have the problem that I can initially configure the system via either the iOS or browser but thereafter I can not either get back into the router maintenance screen in the browser or log back in via the iOS app. The password is rejected in both cases and in the browser it seems to think I want to reset the password. I can reset the router and start again and repeat the excercise with the same result.

On top of this, even if I manage to set it up, the internet connection fails after 2 to 3 hours and eventually the wifi signal drops out from the router and both satellites. Up to that point the signal is strong and speeds excellent. The only recourse is to reset the system and start again. 

I returned the system to Amazon and bought an Asus XT8 and will see if I have better luck with that. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 7
Heavenlyride
Initiate

I am having the same issues as staed in this thread.  

I have repeatedly attempted to login via OrbiLogin.com and it comes up and asked me for ADMIN login.  I do so, then goes to ask for serial number.  That creates an endless loop.  Never does it accept the new PW it states it will save.  Only when resetting to factory and loading will it accept it. 

I want to set the Access Point and look at other configuration like Bridge.  But there is not way to do this.  Hours wasted to get into the item.  That is crap.  Nothing online to explain the solution.  Quite frustrating. 

Suggestions?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a full factory reset on the RBR by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Use a wired PC and web browser to access 192.168.1.1. Do this with the RBR not connected to any modem or router. 

Try MS Edge or FireFox browsers.

@Heavenlyride wrote:

I am having the same issues as staed in this thread.  

I have repeatedly attempted to login via OrbiLogin.com and it comes up and asked me for ADMIN login.  I do so, then goes to ask for serial number.  That creates an endless loop.  Never does it accept the new PW it states it will save.  Only when resetting to factory and loading will it accept it. 

I want to set the Access Point and look at other configuration like Bridge.  But there is not way to do this.  Hours wasted to get into the item.  That is crap.  Nothing online to explain the solution.  Quite frustrating. 

Suggestions?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7