Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK753S AX4200 - Nest Thermostat Battery Drain

Shadowgent
Tutor

Orbi RBK753S AX4200 - Nest Thermostat Battery Drain

Installed new system a couple of weeks ago, and Nest thermostat keeps disconnecting from network due to battery drain.  I had other ax and wifi 6 systems and never had this issue.  Is there a fix in the works for this?

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK753S AX4200 - Nest Thermostat Battery Drain

What FW version is currently loaded?

What generation is your NEST controllers? 

What is the distance between the RBR and RBS?

What is the distance between the RBR/RBS and NEST controllers? In Feet please.

What is the CTS value your using on the RBR? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Please review this and give a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Nest-Thermostat-Batteries-LOW-on-a-new-ORBI-AX-setup/m-p/19...

Message 2 of 13
Shadowgent
Tutor

- V3.2.15.25

What generation is your NEST controllers? 

- 3rd Gen thermostat

- RBR and RBS are each on different levels of house, so I'm not sure how to answer that.  RBR is on main level, same level as Nest controller.

- 30 feet

What is the CTS value your using on the RBR? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Appreciate any help you can provide!

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, from that NG is saying, the contoller is ping ponging between the RBR or RBS signals. There asking for users to move the RBR or RBS closer to the NEST controller so it has a good connection nearest the RBR or RBS. I have my 3rd gen controller at about 4 feet from my RBR. 

Also I would update FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-15-32-Hot-Fix-Firmware-U...

Message 4 of 13
Shadowgent
Tutor

Thanks for the advice.  A couple thoughts:

I'm not sure how to get the Nest thermostat closer to the RBR.  I can't move the thermostat or RBR, and movign the satellite seems like it would defeat the purpose of having the mesh system for coverage elsewhere in the house.   Could another satellite installed closer to the Nest be helfpul?  (like a small RBW30...will that even work with my system?  Sorry, I'm no expert here on whether Orbi mesh systems can accept any Orbi hardware and all work together like a family.)

Secondly, is it possible to force the Nest to be "dedicated" to a MAC address of one RBR or RBS, so the searching/pinging doesn't continue?

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you move the RBS closer to the NEST? 

Unfortuneately, Orbi AC RBS are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. 

Message 6 of 13
Chris-Chapin
Initiate

Identical issue with my newly installed Orbi AX4200 system.  I have 3 Nest Gen 3 Thermostats that have worked fine for the past 3-4 years on my Xfinity Gateway.  Once I installed the Netgear Orbi AX4200 system, all three Nest Thermostats have experienced battery drain issues (not using a C wire on Thermostat) that results in them dropping Wifi connection.  All three were connected via 5GHZ channel.  I have since set up a separate wifi network using the older Xfinity Gateway’s 2.4GHZ channel with a different SSID to connect the 3 Nest Thermostats.  All 3 Thermostats are again working fine. Running two different WiFi networks in my house is really not ideal, but is the only way I could get the Nest Thermostats working correctly.  Would really like either Nest or Netgear to come up with a fix for this issue.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What FW/SW version is loaded on your NEST controllers? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Nest-Thermostat-Batteries-LOW-on-a-new-ORBI-AX-setup/m-p/19...

FYI, I'n on v22 with my 8 series and 2 RBS. Using manual channel 1 and 40. CTS at 64. I have not seen any issues with my 1 3rd gen NEST since last year. 

Also please open a support ticket with NEST and NG regarding this. 

@Chris-Chapin wrote:

Identical issue with my newly installed Orbi AX4200 system.  I have 3 Nest Gen 3 Thermostats that have worked fine for the past 3-4 years on my Xfinity Gateway.  Once I installed the Netgear Orbi AX4200 system, all three Nest Thermostats have experienced battery drain issues (not using a C wire on Thermostat) that results in them dropping Wifi connection.  All three were connected via 5GHZ channel.  I have since set up a separate wifi network using the older Xfinity Gateway’s 2.4GHZ channel with a different SSID to connect the 3 Nest Thermostats.  All 3 Thermostats are again working fine. Running two different WiFi networks in my house is really not ideal, but is the only way I could get the Nest Thermostats working correctly.  Would really like either Nest or Netgear to come up with a fix for this issue.

Message 8 of 13
Terry8166
Aspirant

i have a nest thermostat Gen 3 that has worked for 1,5 years on google wifi router and erro router.   this week iinstalled the orbi rbr750 ax4200.  i am very plesed with the speed and stability of this router. However there is one major issue that i see many wiht this router having OFFLINE LowBattery.   I just wanted to add my voice to the choir,   I am very frustrated with this issue.  This is not a cheap router and i would expect better support form netgear on this issue. Yes i have a ticket open.   The only way i have been able to solve this issue was to connect my Google wifi as a stand alone connection for my nest thermostat.   no more low battery issues.   

The good news is i got this router form Costco and i will retrum it an try our a different Wifi 6 router if netgear cant get this issue fixed.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

FYI, I'm on v12 with my 8 series and 2 RBS. Using manual channel 1 and 40. CTS at 64. I have not seen any issues with my 1 3rd gen NEST since last year. 

Also please open a support ticket with NEST and NG regarding this. 

@Terry8166 wrote:

i have a nest thermostat Gen 3 that has worked for 1,5 years on google wifi router and erro router.   this week iinstalled the orbi rbr750 ax4200.  i am very plesed with the speed and stability of this router. However there is one major issue that i see many wiht this router having OFFLINE LowBattery.   I just wanted to add my voice to the choir,   I am very frustrated with this issue.  This is not a cheap router and i would expect better support form netgear on this issue. Yes i have a ticket open.   The only way i have been able to solve this issue was to connect my Google wifi as a stand alone connection for my nest thermostat.   no more low battery issues.   

The good news is i got this router form Costco and i will retrum it an try our a different Wifi 6 router if netgear cant get this issue fixed.

Message 10 of 13
Terry8166
Aspirant

HI @ FURRYe38,

See the answers to your questions below.

ONT  P/N3FE56389ABBE

V3.2.16.22

6.1-9

25 feet

12 Feet

Open Case number 44131326.  

BTW I have connected the nest wifi to a google wifi puck that is next to the orbi.  The google WIFI has a different SSID and has been connect for more than 24 hours.  The battery voltage on the nest has increased form 3.7 to 3.88 volts.  This indicates that the nest battery is able to charge when it is not connected to the ORBI…When connected to the orbi you can see over the course of 2 – 3 hours the battery drops until it goes below 3.6V..at which point you get an OFFLINE low battery fault on the nest.

Let me know if you need any additional information or any suggestions.   Glad to see that your system is working but i can see a number that are not.   

thanks again for your help....hope to get some form netgear too.

Message 11 of 13
Terry8166
Aspirant

I used your suggestion,  connected my old mesh router (google wifi using just one puck)  problem solved.  But not really.  The kind of money i paid this should not be an issue.  

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

V3.2.16.22

There is newer v12 FW available:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

25 feet

This is too close between the RBR and RBS. 30 feet or more is needed.

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS and connect the NEST to the RBR while RBS is turned OFF?

@Terry8166 
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7