Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR 750 is very unstable

RSMV
Tutor

Orbi RBR 750 is very unstable

Have an RBR 750 with 3 satellites and a few things hardwired into the ports.  It's wired into the Comcast cable modem.  The 750 frequently (~5X week) goes magenta.  There is still internet at the Cable modem, as I can make use of the Comcast wifi while the Orbi is power recycling.  This is a recent (last 3 months) phenomenon; for the first year or so the system was rock steady.  

Any ideas why it has grown unstable?

Thanks

RSMV

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Which unit shows PINK in front? RBR or RBS or do all unit show PINK? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 8
RSMV
Tutor

Current firmware is 4.6.7.13

The ISPs modem is a generic xFinity modem.  Doesn't have a MFR or model# that is identifiable from label on the bottom

The RBR shows pink.  

Yes as to the power cycle on the modem and RBR, tho I don't know any way to "turn off" either device other than unplugging them.

thanks

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

There a picture of this modem? Need to get more info on this if possible

If the RBR shows pink, only a few items that can cause this, bad cable between the modem and router, loss of connection with the modem, or modem isn't giving good ethernet services to the modem or modem is having problems. 

What CAT# LAN cable is being used between the modem and router? 

Message 4 of 8
RSMV
Tutor

Thanks.

Pic of Comcast modem attached.  It goes to the Netgear switch (pic also attache if I've enough room).  It's Cat 5 from the Netgear switch to the RBR.

The wiring has been the same for a few years.  Not clear why there would be deterioration there.  Is it the case if the Comcast modem is failing in its provision of ethernet that IT"S internet access via wifi would remain undiminished?  When the Orbi goes pink, I can still use the Comcast wifi and connect to the internet.  (The signal is too weak for most of the house, which is why I set up the Orbi network).

Message 5 of 8
RSMV
Tutor

Here's the other photo.

Message 6 of 8
RSMV
Tutor

Sorry.  sent the same photo twice.  here it is.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Got a picture of the back of that ISP modem? 

What is the model# of the switch there? 

Cabling should be going from the ISP modem to the the RBR, then connect any switches to the back of the RBR. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series