Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 repeatedly losing Internet connection, about once per week

newfoundland
Tutor

Orbi RBR750 repeatedly losing Internet connection, about once per week

our Orbi RBR750 repeatedly losing Internet connection, about once per week.  Cable modem is fine, just the Orbi disconnects 1) completely, no indication on lights, cannot access via browser or app, and have to pull power, after which all works fine for another week, or 2) disconnects from the Internet but can still access via Orbi app, reconnects after reset, again, for another week.

Orbi RBR750 has V4.6.9.11 firmware, identified as latest.

Seems like others in the community are having similar problems with Orbi routers. True?

Message 1 of 12
Phyber
Luminary

Could be an issue with your service provider. Haven't seen that with my Orbi 750 system.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Both wireless and wired connections stop getting internet access? 

How was the FW updated on the system? Auto update, Orbi app or Manual FW file install? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release.

I would enable SIP ALG as well. 

Mine ran well on the newer version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-...

@newfoundland wrote:

our Orbi RBR750 repeatedly losing Internet connection, about once per week.  Cable modem is fine, just the Orbi disconnects 1) completely, no indication on lights, cannot access via browser or app, and have to pull power, after which all works fine for another week, or 2) disconnects from the Internet but can still access via Orbi app, reconnects after reset, again, for another week.

Seems like others in the community are having similar problems with Orbi routers. True?

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@newfoundland wrote:

Actually, there is more recent firmware: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr750.aspx#download 

Netgear publishes new firmware on the support web site before instructing the Orbi to announce "new firmware" to customers.  This allows early adopters to manually install the firmware on their systems and report "what happened". You might consider doing this, as one of the most frequent question is, "Have you updated the firmware?"  (Not that I have any reason to believe newer firmware will make this issue go away, but......

Some more detail would be useful.  There seem to be two scenarios:

1) completely, no indication on lights, cannot access via browser or app, and have to pull power, after which all works fine for another week.  Cannot access what?  (The internet?  The Orbi router (http://orbilogin.net )?  Both?  This affects the entire network, or only some devices?)  What are the specific symptoms?  Do computers appear to have IP addresses?  Can one device on the network communicate with another?

2) disconnects from the Internet but can still access via Orbi app, reconnects after reset, again, for another week.

What does the Orbi app report about the system?  Is it connecting via Local Access or Anywhere Access? (Open the menu in the upper left of the app screen and look at the top line.)

Would you happen to know if IPv6 is enabled on this system?

Message 4 of 12
newfoundland
Tutor

Good questions, thanks. I haven't sleuthed them all. I'll definitely look at the new fw load, I was wondering why the latest is 6 mos old, glad to see there is a more frequent resource for fw updates.

I'll try to embed answers to the answers I know.

Just a side comment: I'm a tech guy, build own servers and PCs in Linux and Windows, etc. That said, I had a Google WIFI system for 5 years and barely touched it for 18 mos at a time. Performance far less than Orbi, but there is something to be said for never needing threads and help like this. Netgear FW folks need to step up.

That said, when its working the Orbi is awesome. And you all are awesome with your help - thanks.

Some more detail would be useful.  There seem to be two scenarios:

1) completely, no indication on lights, cannot access via browser or app, and have to pull power, after which all works fine for another week.  Cannot access what?  (The internet?  The Orbi router (http://orbilogin.net )?  Both? [The Orbi router]  This affects the entire network, or only some devices? [all devices, all satellites])  What are the specific symptoms? [Sometimes no internet, sometimes no local network IP addresses, etc]  Do computers appear to have IP addresses?  Can one device on the network communicate with another? [when local network is up in case 2), yes. same cases as when the Orbi app works in case 2).]

2) disconnects from the Internet but can still access via Orbi app, reconnects after reset, again, for another week.

What does the Orbi app report about the system?  Is it connecting via Local Access or Anywhere Access? (Open the menu in the upper left of the app screen and look at the top line.) [where do I best look about what app reports? I just noticed right now that the app says "Internet Offline" in the upper right of home page ?! but Internet appears to be fine]

Would you happen to know if IPv6 is enabled on this system? [No.]

Message 5 of 12
newfoundland
Tutor

I appreciate your knowledge, but wow - this is what it takes to run a clean Orbi??? Like I said in another reply, when its working the Orbi performance is wonderful, but geez, the fw is troubled. Other routers like Unifi and Google run for years w/o clean up like you suggest.

That said, I've done most of what you said and it hasn't helped the regular repeating failures.  The newest beta firmware is a hot tip for me - I usually don't try beta's at home since my family will hang me if I have to take it down for a long time for a roll-back. But should have tried a beta when nothing else worked.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 12
newfoundland
Tutor

Nope, service provider has done resets and deeper checks on their own system for me. Really does appear to be isolated to the Orbi.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Would you give feedback on the questions I presented and lets see if we can give you more help after that please. 

Message 8 of 12
newfoundland
Tutor

IPv6 is not enabled.   The setting "Internet Connection Type" is "disabled"

Also for the early FW releases, there are two more recent than my current V4.6.9.11_2.3.5 on the page you linked, but I can't tell on that page what they've approved as solid for non-IT professionals like myself versus versions in a beta or early stage. Is that "signal for Approved New Firmware" from Netgear when the browser interface show that "New Firmware is Available"?  I'm questioning because the FW the interface shows as current is 6 months old, and that makes me wonder whether the newer FW loads are not considered safely stable yet.  I guess not?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If you read a bit more into the linked FW update post, you'll find a NOTE that mentions that NG has given control over FW updates to users thru the RBRs web ui. Users can stop getting FW updates via auto update push. 

Also NG may or may not always use auto update for those who still have that feature enabled. Not all FW updates are auto pushed. 

Any FW updates seen on NGs download pages or here in the forums are OFFICIAL RELEASE ONLY. No beta's are posted unless something special is made available and that's rare.  

Message 10 of 12
newfoundland
Tutor

when Auto update is on, can we control when the router goes down for update, at least?  Sometimes the admin still gets a choice of "now", or not.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Nope. Usually comes in around midight to 1am est if that happens. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7